Program to monitor temps + fanspeed on a 6800GT (asus) ?

HB

I have an Asus 6800GT, and may have a dodgy fan - or maybe the
'smartdoctor' program that controls the fan speed is acting up.

1) I have been told I do not need to use smartdoctor - that the card itself
will throttle down to protect itself from overheating if the fan fails - is
this true ?

2) If I don't use smartdoctor - is there any program to monitor the
temps/fan speeds of the card - like motherboard monitor does (for
motherboards) ? I have never seen any options for this in rivatuner (or
similar) over the years

3) Are their 3rd party programs to control fan-speed ? Or is that purely
the realm of the card seller (Asus) rather than the chipset maker (nvidia).
Cause if I don't use smartdoctor - then the fan will just run at full speed
all the time.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Are you using the reference nVidia drivers, or Asus' own? Try enabling the
nVidia Coolbits control panel through the registry. It has sliders for
overclocking and [possibly] temperature display and throttle thresholds.

BTW, if the fan fails, you'll notice visual artifacts and lockups long
before any damage is done.