wtf? XFX 7800GT core...275???

Uhmm...RivaTuner reports that my current clock settings are:

Core: 275
Mem: 1050.

nVidia's specifications cite core: 400, mem 1000, and XFX (and reviewers of
this brand's card) say it's OC'd 'out of the box' to 450/1050.

What's going
onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn?!?!?!!?!?

Any help is much appreciated...cuz I'm kinda freaked out here.

--
http://silentrefusal.tk
or users.tpg.com.au/iaan_w

how much did that set you back???

"Dragoncarer" <wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote in message
> Uhmm...RivaTuner reports that my current clock settings are:
>
> Core: 275
> Mem: 1050.
>
> nVidia's specifications cite core: 400, mem 1000, and XFX (and reviewers
> of this brand's card) say it's OC'd 'out of the box' to 450/1050.
>
> What's going
> onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn?!?!?!!?!?
>
> Any help is much appreciated...cuz I'm kinda freaked out here.
>

> --
> http://silentrefusal.tk
> or users.tpg.com.au/iaan_w

BigJim

you will be able to buy a PS3 for what that card costs.

"WickedGimp" <vanessa-b@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> how much did that set you back???
>

> "Dragoncarer" <wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote in message
>> Uhmm...RivaTuner reports that my current clock settings are:
>>
>> Core: 275
>> Mem: 1050.
>>
>> nVidia's specifications cite core: 400, mem 1000, and XFX (and reviewers
>> of this brand's card) say it's OC'd 'out of the box' to 450/1050.
>>
>> What's going
>> onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn?!?!?!!?!?
>>
>> Any help is much appreciated...cuz I'm kinda freaked out here.
>>

>> --
>> http://silentrefusal.tk
>> or users.tpg.com.au/iaan_w

Isn't Sony shipping SDKs to developers just now? By the time the PS3 gets
released, with a decent game lineup, the 7800GT certain wouldn't be as much
as a PS3.

"BigJIm" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> you will be able to buy a PS3 for what that card costs.

O.

I think I may have embarassed myself. Am I reading RivaTuner/nVidia display
panel correctly in that the card reduces the core clock to 275 when in 2D
(Windows environment), but will push it up to 450 when it goes into 3D
(games)?
If that's the case, then everything is fine.
I'm just not used to RivaTuner and I tried looking for manuals or guides but
ahhhh!

I'm sorry. I'll go back to being a fool and just try to hide myself in WoW
or FarCry or Vamp The Masquerade.....

"Dragoncarer" <wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote in message
> Uhmm...RivaTuner reports that my current clock settings are:
>
> Core: 275
> Mem: 1050.
>
> nVidia's specifications cite core: 400, mem 1000, and XFX (and reviewers
> of this brand's card) say it's OC'd 'out of the box' to 450/1050.
>
> What's going
> onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn?!?!?!!?!?
>
> Any help is much appreciated...cuz I'm kinda freaked out here.
>

> --
> http://silentrefusal.tk
> or users.tpg.com.au/iaan_w

Who overclocks their Nvidia cards more, XFX or BFG?

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 00:07:27 +1000, "Dragoncarer"
<wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote:

>O.
>
>I think I may have embarassed myself. Am I reading RivaTuner/nVidia display
>panel correctly in that the card reduces the core clock to 275 when in 2D
>(Windows environment), but will push it up to 450 when it goes into 3D
>(games)?
>If that's the case, then everything is fine.
>I'm just not used to RivaTuner and I tried looking for manuals or guides but
>ahhhh!
>
>I'm sorry. I'll go back to being a fool and just try to hide myself in WoW
>or FarCry or Vamp The Masquerade.....

I freaked the first time I ran RivaTuner on my 6600GT. I
thought mt PSU was causing it to downclock till I realized it was the
2D setting I was reading.

> O.
>
> I think I may have embarassed myself. Am I reading RivaTuner/nVidia
> display panel correctly in that the card reduces the core clock to 275
> when in 2D (Windows environment), but will push it up to 450 when it goes
> into 3D (games)?
> If that's the case, then everything is fine.
> I'm just not used to RivaTuner and I tried looking for manuals or guides
> but ahhhh!
>
> I'm sorry. I'll go back to being a fool and just try to hide myself in WoW
> or FarCry or Vamp The Masquerade.....

Which CPU did ya get? Gonna try Far Cry 64/ Windows64?
Congrats on the new card too!
McG.

> "Dragoncarer" <wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote in message
>> Uhmm...RivaTuner reports that my current clock settings are:
>>
>> Core: 275
>> Mem: 1050.
>>
>> nVidia's specifications cite core: 400, mem 1000, and XFX (and reviewers
>> of this brand's card) say it's OC'd 'out of the box' to 450/1050.
>>
>> What's going
>> onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn?!?!?!!?!?
>>
>> Any help is much appreciated...cuz I'm kinda freaked out here.
>>

>> --
>> http://silentrefusal.tk
>> or users.tpg.com.au/iaan_w

EVGA has the highest memory clock.
445/1070

AUD750 including p&h from www.macotechnology.com.au

> Who overclocks their Nvidia cards more, XFX or BFG?

Depends.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/08/11/bfgtech_xfx_7800gt/4.html

That's for the 7800GT...but I think the GTX and 6800XX series might be
different.

But, it's not that much of a difference, IMHO. I wanted OCd and a good
brand, and a good package of bits and pieces. XFX came with a few games
(FarCry!! being one of them), and it would have been a nightmare trying to
get a BFG7800GT here in Australia right now.

"BigJIm" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> you will be able to buy a PS3 for what that card costs.

Why on earth would I want to?
without getting to another PC v Console debate....personally, I've matured
from consoles.

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 00:07:27 +1000, "Dragoncarer"
> <wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote:
>
>>O.
>>
>>I think I may have embarassed myself. Am I reading RivaTuner/nVidia
>>display
>>panel correctly in that the card reduces the core clock to 275 when in 2D
>>(Windows environment), but will push it up to 450 when it goes into 3D
>>(games)?
>>If that's the case, then everything is fine.
>>I'm just not used to RivaTuner and I tried looking for manuals or guides
>>but
>>ahhhh!
>>
>>I'm sorry. I'll go back to being a fool and just try to hide myself in WoW
>>or FarCry or Vamp The Masquerade.....
>>

> I freaked the first time I ran RivaTuner on my 6600GT. I
> thought mt PSU was causing it to downclock till I realized it was the
> 2D setting I was reading.

Phew! Thank God I got confirmation on my thoughts!! Thanks lol!
I'm such a ditzy moron.

> "Dragoncarer" <wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote in message
>> O.
>>
>> I think I may have embarassed myself. Am I reading RivaTuner/nVidia
>> display panel correctly in that the card reduces the core clock to 275
>> when in 2D (Windows environment), but will push it up to 450 when it goes
>> into 3D (games)?
>> If that's the case, then everything is fine.
>> I'm just not used to RivaTuner and I tried looking for manuals or guides
>> but ahhhh!
>>
>> I'm sorry. I'll go back to being a fool and just try to hide myself in
>> WoW or FarCry or Vamp The Masquerade.....
>
> Which CPU did ya get? Gonna try Far Cry 64/ Windows64?
> Congrats on the new card too!
> McG.

I told you, in a.g.t, remember? Your memory's failing old fella! ;)
A'64 3700+

As for XP64...I've heard bugs. It's too much effort. And don't I need to buy
XP all over again? I dunno...I haven't done much research. But I've seen the
screenshots of 'before' and 'after' FarCry....it's unbelievably tempting.

>> "Dragoncarer" <wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote in message
>>> Uhmm...RivaTuner reports that my current clock settings are:
>>>
>>> Core: 275
>>> Mem: 1050.
>>>
>>> nVidia's specifications cite core: 400, mem 1000, and XFX (and reviewers
>>> of this brand's card) say it's OC'd 'out of the box' to 450/1050.
>>>
>>> What's going
>>> onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn?!?!?!!?!?
>>>
>>> Any help is much appreciated...cuz I'm kinda freaked out here.
>>>

>>> --
>>> http://silentrefusal.tk
>>> or users.tpg.com.au/iaan_w

shawk

>> "Dragoncarer" <wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote in message

>> Which CPU did ya get? Gonna try Far Cry 64/ Windows64?
>> Congrats on the new card too!
>> McG.
>>>

> I told you, in a.g.t, remember? Your memory's failing old fella! ;)
> A'64 3700+
>
> As for XP64...I've heard bugs. It's too much effort. And don't I need to
> buy XP all over again? I dunno...I haven't done much research. But I've
> seen the screenshots of 'before' and 'after' FarCry....it's unbelievably
> tempting.

You could dual boot like McG if you just want to try it out?

> "Dragoncarer" <wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote in message
>>
>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Dragoncarer" <wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote in message
>

>>> Which CPU did ya get? Gonna try Far Cry 64/ Windows64?
>>> Congrats on the new card too!
>>> McG.
>>>>

>> I told you, in a.g.t, remember? Your memory's failing old fella! ;)
>> A'64 3700+
>>
>> As for XP64...I've heard bugs. It's too much effort. And don't I need to
>> buy XP all over again? I dunno...I haven't done much research. But I've
>> seen the screenshots of 'before' and 'after' FarCry....it's unbelievably
>> tempting.
>
> You could dual boot like McG if you just want to try it out?

Yeah that's good idea, and I've thought about it...but even then the trial
is only 10 days, and let's face it, I'd only need it for FarCry!
Honestly I just couldn't be arsed! I just bought all this new hardware, so
I've had to enjoy the rigours of fiddling around with an OS for the past few
weeks...I so very can't be stuffed doing *that* for quite some time! ;)

Maybe when I get a new 8MB/ 16MB HDD...or....I might be able to get a nice
19" LCD for my Birthday/ Xmas!!

Then of course, I really should buy a new case....sigh....once you start
buying bits for your computer, it never ends!!

shawk

> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dragoncarer" <wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I told you, in a.g.t, remember? Your memory's failing old fella! ;)
>>> A'64 3700+
>>>
>>> As for XP64...I've heard bugs. It's too much effort. And don't I need to
>>> buy XP all over again? I dunno...I haven't done much research. But I've
>>> seen the screenshots of 'before' and 'after' FarCry....it's unbelievably
>>> tempting.
>>
>> You could dual boot like McG if you just want to try it out?
>>

> Yeah that's good idea, and I've thought about it...but even then the trial
> is only 10 days, and let's face it, I'd only need it for FarCry!
> Honestly I just couldn't be arsed! I just bought all this new hardware, so
> I've had to enjoy the rigours of fiddling around with an OS for the past
> few weeks...I so very can't be stuffed doing *that* for quite some time!
> ;)
>
> Maybe when I get a new 8MB/ 16MB HDD...or....I might be able to get a nice
> 19" LCD for my Birthday/ Xmas!!
>
> Then of course, I really should buy a new case....sigh....once you start
> buying bits for your computer, it never ends!!

LOL, I hear ya. Clenching my teeth here, really want to upgrade but making
myself wait until next year when I can hopefully spend the cash and do it
properly, PCI Express, A64, etc etc

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/24/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/

I think this says more about the PS3 than about the 7800GT...