SLI enabled video cards

I have been thinking about instead of getting a $500 dollar or so 7800
GTX to just buy a couple of 6600 LEs.

How many video cards can you use for them to work together for a single
output?

And do I need anything else?

6600 LE? LE stands for Lame Edition.

AFAIK, only the 6600GT, 6800GT, 6800Ultra, and 7800GTX are sold in
SLI-capable configurations (someone correct me if I'm wrong! :D)

nVidia's SLI only allows two 100% identical cards (same brand, same
firmware!) to be used. You also need a PCI-E SLI-capable motherboard, of
course.

RF.

<potnisanish@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have been thinking about instead of getting a $500 dollar or so 7800
> GTX to just buy a couple of 6600 LEs.
>
> How many video cards can you use for them to work together for a single
> output?
>
> And do I need anything else?

Pipe dream. You'll need at least two 6600 vanillas to run in SLI, and even
then the setup is slower than a single 6800GT, which is often cheaper.

"RaceFace" <nospam@myplace.com> wrote in message
> 6600 LE? LE stands for Lame Edition.
>
> AFAIK, only the 6600GT, 6800GT, 6800Ultra, and 7800GTX are sold in
> SLI-capable configurations (someone correct me if I'm wrong! :D)
>
> nVidia's SLI only allows two 100% identical cards (same brand, same
> firmware!) to be used. You also need a PCI-E SLI-capable motherboard, of
> course.
>
> RF.

Err.. the newest drivers (77.77) have added support for 6600 and 6600LE SLI.
Though, why you would want to run those in SLI is beyond me. If you're
going to spend the money on an SLI rig, get some decent cards, at least.

RF.

So you guys think I should get a 6800 GT instead of a 6600 LE?
According to the specs if I hooked up 3 it would be more powerful. And
save me $200.

1. SLI is limited to two cards.
2. Buying three 6600LE cards would cost you $200 less than a single 6800GT?
I find that hard to believe.

> So you guys think I should get a 6800 GT instead of a 6600 LE?
> According to the specs if I hooked up 3 it would be more powerful. And
> save me $200.

Could you post the 'specs' describing THREE 6800 GT cards on one computer?
It just isn't in the cards.

Perhaps you would be better off buying ONE of the best cards you can afford,
with the possibility of a second card should you need to upgrade. Check
peformance ratings for games you intend to play for SLI vs. single card
operation.

Phil Weldon

> Pipe dream. You'll need at least two 6600 vanillas to run in SLI, and even
> then the setup is slower than a single 6800GT, which is often cheaper.

Yup. Far better option is to either buy a 6800GT or 6800Ultra - which will/
have now come down in price since release of 7800GT.

Otherwise wait a little while longer and get a 7800 or 7800GT.

RaceFace wrote:
> 6600 LE? LE stands for Lame Edition.
>
> AFAIK, only the 6600GT, 6800GT, 6800Ultra, and 7800GTX are sold in
> SLI-capable configurations (someone correct me if I'm wrong! :D)
>
> nVidia's SLI only allows two 100% identical cards (same brand, same
> firmware!) to be used. You also need a PCI-E SLI-capable motherboard, of
> course.
>
> RF.
>
> <potnisanish@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have been thinking about instead of getting a $500 dollar or so 7800
>>GTX to just buy a couple of 6600 LEs.
>>
>>How many video cards can you use for them to work together for a single
>>output?
>>
>>And do I need anything else?

I have a Leadtek card which I bought last Decemeber for my A8N-SLI.
Would the firmware be the same if I bought another identical one today
for SLI configuration?

Ron

The firmware will *probably* be the same if LeadTek used the same RAM chips.

BTW, I'm not sure if the BIOS has to be exactly the same for SLI to work.
See
http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=398
Apparently you can mix-n-match 7800GTX cards from different brands and SLI
would still work, since most of them use identical reference designs.