weird movie display problems - with Nvidia Geforce FX Go 5..

SUBJECT: weird movie display problems - with Nvidia Geforce FX Go5700 - on a
HP Pavilion 7236

Hi all,

I've got an HP laptop Pavilion 7236 that comes with an Nvidia Geforce FX
Go5700. After a reinstall, I've been having some trouble finding the proper
drivers for this thing, as XP did not automatically recognise them and I
couldn't find them on the install discs, but in the end, I managed to find
them.

Problem is, my movie players start acting funny. I installed all appropriate
codecs and tried installing different versions, but that doesn't change a
thing.

What is the problem:
When I want to play a movie, in either Windows Media Player, BSPlayer or
Media Player Classic, the movie stays blank (a close-to-black-kind-of-grey).
It does play subtitles, it does play sounds.
However, if I then open a second movieplayer, it does open the movie and
displays correctly.

It would seem that I would have to have one movie open in order to have a
next movie display properly. I'm puzzled as to how this can come to be, and
of course, how to solve it.

Any insights or help on this matter would of course be dearly appreciated.

--

Geroon

Geroon wrote:
> What is the problem:
> When I want to play a movie, in either Windows Media Player, BSPlayer or
> Media Player Classic, the movie stays blank (a close-to-black-kind-of-grey).
> It does play subtitles, it does play sounds.
> However, if I then open a second movieplayer, it does open the movie and
> displays correctly.

Sounds like overlays aren't displaying on your main display. If you have
a TV out port it could be that somehow got set as the primary device and
the overlay is only going to that port. Check the driver options..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

>> What is the problem:
>> When I want to play a movie, in either Windows Media Player, BSPlayer or
>> Media Player Classic, the movie stays blank (a
>> close-to-black-kind-of-grey). It does play subtitles, it does play
>> sounds.
>> However, if I then open a second movieplayer, it does open the movie and
>> displays correctly.
>
> Sounds like overlays aren't displaying on your main display. If you have a
> TV out port it could be that somehow got set as the primary device and the
> overlay is only going to that port. Check the driver options..

Seems that there was a check "Enable VMR" under my nvidia tab -> "overlay
settings" that I had to enable. However, this causes my hardware overlay to
be disabled. I'm not sure if that is a particularly bad thing, but hey.
We'll see how it runs from here.

Thanks a lot!

G.

TRENDING THREADS