wireless connection problem

On my wireless laptop, I have no internet connection, and when I click on
the network computers in the tray area to get the status and then I click on
Support, next to Address Type it says: Automatic Private Address. I try to
repair but it says the IP address cannot be renewed. Please help.
Thank you
Justin

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:59:09 -0400, "Justin Jeffries" <*email_address_deleted*>
wrote:

>On my wireless laptop, I have no internet connection, and when I click on
>the network computers in the tray area to get the status and then I click on
>Support, next to Address Type it says: Automatic Private Address. I try to
>repair but it says the IP address cannot be renewed. Please help.
>Thank you
> Justin

Justin,

You're getting an APIPA address either because your laptop is not connecting to
a DHCP server (presumably on your router - assuming you have one), or because
the DHCP server is intentionally not issuing you an address.
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;220874>

Does the nic on the laptop come with diagnostics? How about the router? Are
you actually getting a signal on the laptop? If you're getting a signal, is it
actually from the router? Does the router have MAC address filtering, and / or
WEP / WPA enabled? Disable both if applicable until you get this working.

Describe your LAN - what hardware and software (make and model of everything).
Do some diagnostics. Report back with specific questions. Help us help you.

And Justin, please don't contribute to the spread of email address mining
viruses. Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a bit
safer when posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the
internet - never post your address unmunged.
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

Cheers,
Chuck

HI Justin
the method that chuck provided is a logical one .U can also try a work
around ,find out what is the Ipaddress ur wirless source is givein u(Ucan
find it out by getting the ipadress of another computer which is going
online or by connecting ur computer by a wire to the router ),then assign a
static IP adress to ur wireless card of that range.Like if the ip address of
other computer is 192.168.1.20 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 ,then u can put the
IP adress as 192.168.1.10 on ur computer Default gateway remains the same.
vivek