Font smoothing

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

What is best way to do font smoothing in Windows XP? I just bought my wife
a 19" flat screen monitor and she is complaining about the fonts being
jagged.

Thanks

'John' wrote:
| What is best way to do font smoothing in Windows XP? I just bought my
wife
| a 19" flat screen monitor and she is complaining about the fonts being
| jagged.
_____

Additional information would be real helpful in offering suggestions;
video card, native resolution of the LCD monitor, resolution set for the LCD
monitor.

Just guessing at a solution, but the best results for an LCD monitor are
when the resolution is set to the native resolution for the LCD monitor. An
LCD monitor can't really produce a graduated series of resolutions as a CRT
can (one reason CRTs are still superior to LCD monitors for many purposes.)
A 19" LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1600 X 1200 would look best at
1600 X 1200 and 800 X 600 (since 800 X 600 would use a 2 pixel by 2 pixel
group for each point displayed); 1280 X 960 native resolution would look
best at 1280 X 960 and 640 X 480 for the same reason.)

When an intermediate resolution is selected, the display must interpolate,
and aliasing results.

So, to guess at an answer to your question, use the smooth fonts settings in
Windows XP and select a resolution for the monitor equal to its native
resolution (or EXACTLY 1/2 X 1/2.) With an LCD monitor choose resolution
accordingly and/or adjust the viewing distance for the monitor.

Phil Weldon

Phil Weldon wrote:
> So, to guess at an answer to your question, use the smooth fonts
> settings in Windows XP and select a resolution for the monitor
> equal to its native resolution (or EXACTLY 1/2 X 1/2.) With
> an LCD monitor choose resolution accordingly and/or adjust the
> viewing distance for the monitor.

If the native resolution of the monitor results in text which is too
small, try setting the font size to "Large Fonts," which is 125%
(Advanced button, Display Properties Control Panel applet,
Settings tab). Be aware that the occasional odd program or
dialog box will choke on this. Additionally, do absolutely
choose ClearType as the font smoothing method in the Effects
dialog opened by the button on the Appearance tab of Display
Properties. It makes a huge difference!

In article <HYmdnWags661oI_eRVn-sw@comcast.com>, John says...
> What is best way to do font smoothing in Windows XP? I just bought my wife
> a 19" flat screen monitor and she is complaining about the fonts being
> jagged.

Display Properties, Appearance, Effects and set the smoothing to
Cleartype.

Also make sure the monitor is running in its native resolution, usually
1280x1024.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"John" <johnm160@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What is best way to do font smoothing in Windows XP? I just bought my
> wife a 19" flat screen monitor and she is complaining about the fonts
> being jagged.
>
> Thanks

Try MS's Clear Type Tuner available here:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx

HTH,
Bob

TRENDING THREADS