Mouse performance question

Mike

Splendid

I have always been irritated by less than smooth mousing. With sample rates
not synched to monitor refresh, the mouse always skips pixels, even with a
hi res 1600dpi USB 2.0 mouse. The software drivers in XP have sample rates
for 60,80,100.
while standard monitor refresh rates are usually 60, 70, 72, 75, 85, 100.
So, in order to get smooth mousing like i want, i always have to either
choose 60 or 100 for my monitor refresh because it synchs up with the sample
rate that XP has set for mice. So, why in hell don't they make a standard or
something? My mouse, no matter what mouse i use, always moves smoother at
60hz or 100 than it does at 70, 72, 75 or 85hz. And this affects some games
that do not code for it to compensate. I lose a bit of accuracy if i don't
play at 60 or 100hz, and right now i can't play at 100 because my monitor
burnt out on me. I'm using an old one that has a max 75. Playing at 60 gets
irritating on the eyes at times. Am i wrong about this, and is there a fix
out there somewhere for it?

'mike' wrote, in part:
| I have always been irritated by less than smooth mousing.
_____

Perhaps you are wrong about this. Are you complaining about of game
performance, or productive software?
Information about you system hardware would also be helpful in giving a
useful answer. But basically mouse sample rates have nothing to do with
screen refresh rates, but rather how often the position of the mouse is
checked. Perhaps you system is not powerful enough for smooth performance
in the programs you use.

Phil Weldon

"mike" <sonofzeus26@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have always been irritated by less than smooth mousing. With sample
>rates not synched to monitor refresh, the mouse always skips pixels, even
>with a hi res 1600dpi USB 2.0 mouse. The software drivers in XP have sample
>rates for 60,80,100.
> while standard monitor refresh rates are usually 60, 70, 72, 75, 85, 100.
> So, in order to get smooth mousing like i want, i always have to either
> choose 60 or 100 for my monitor refresh because it synchs up with the
> sample rate that XP has set for mice. So, why in hell don't they make a
> standard or something? My mouse, no matter what mouse i use, always moves
> smoother at 60hz or 100 than it does at 70, 72, 75 or 85hz. And this
> affects some games that do not code for it to compensate. I lose a bit of
> accuracy if i don't play at 60 or 100hz, and right now i can't play at 100
> because my monitor burnt out on me. I'm using an old one that has a max
> 75. Playing at 60 gets irritating on the eyes at times. Am i wrong about
> this, and is there a fix out there somewhere for it?

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

> The software drivers in XP have sample rates for 60,80,100.

There is a utility to change the windows usb update rate, up to 500hz.
I posted about it once on comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, you can search
google groups for it. Also, the new Logitech G5 and G7 mice that come out
next month have higher usb rates programmed into the drivers. I imagine
Razer mice offer something similar.

rms

Mike

Splendid

"Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
> 'mike' wrote, in part:
> | I have always been irritated by less than smooth mousing.
> _____
>
> Perhaps you are wrong about this. Are you complaining about of game
> performance, or productive software?
> Information about you system hardware would also be helpful in giving a
> useful answer. But basically mouse sample rates have nothing to do with
> screen refresh rates, but rather how often the position of the mouse is
> checked. Perhaps you system is not powerful enough for smooth performance
> in the programs you use.
>
> Phil Weldon

My system:
2500 barton @ 2.2ghz
1gig(512x2) OCZ performance PC3200 2-3-3-6
AN35N Ultra 400 dual channel mobo
9700 Pro(stock)
XP Pro

I always get smooth performance in MOH:AA with my mouse. The mouse framerate
moves at the same rate as the game, no matter what my monitor refresh is. So
i assumed the programmers took this little problem into consideration and
coded things to compensate for that problem.
But Halo, even though my fps in Halo is 60, and is evident while i'm walking
and not looking around with the mouse, once i move the mouse and look around
with it, it makes it seem as if the game is not moving at 60fps because the
mouse is not moving at 60fps. That's why i assumed that lazy game code would
make the problem evident. However, when i set vsync on in Halo, and have my
monitor refresh at 60 or 100, smooth mouse movement all the way. That's why
i assumed it was something not synching up with refresh and sample rates and
all that jazz, because i see that the mouse sample rate in windows is set
for either 60, 80, or 100. Nothing between like 70, 72, 75, or 85. I even
have a razer diamondback 1600dpi usb2.0 mouse, and the problem is still
evident.

Also, on my desktop, if my monitor is set to 60hz, smooth 60 fps for the
mouse. If i set it to 100hz, smooth 100 fps for the mouse. But when i set
the monitor at 70, 72, 80, or 85 the mouse fps drops, skipping pixels and
not moving nearly as smooth.

Mike

Splendid

> Perhaps you are wrong about this. Are you complaining about of game
> performance, or productive software?
> Information about you system hardware would also be helpful in giving a
> useful answer. But basically mouse sample rates have nothing to do with
> screen refresh rates, but rather how often the position of the mouse is
> checked. Perhaps you system is not powerful enough for smooth performance
> in the programs you use.
>
> Phil Weldon

My system:
2500 barton @ 2.2ghz
1gig(512x2) OCZ performance PC3200 2-3-3-6
AN35N Ultra 400 dual channel mobo
9700 Pro(stock)
XP Pro

I always get smooth performance in MOH:AA with my mouse. The mouse framerate
moves at the same rate as the game, no matter what my monitor refresh is. So
i assumed the programmers took this little problem into consideration and
coded things to compensate for that problem.
But Halo, even though my fps in Halo is 60, and is evident while i'm walking
and not looking around with the mouse, once i move the mouse and look around
with it, it makes it seem as if the game is not moving at 60fps because the
mouse is not moving at 60fps. That's why i assumed that lazy game code would
make the problem evident. However, when i set vsync on in Halo, and have my
monitor refresh at 60 or 100, smooth mouse movement all the way. That's why
i assumed it was something not synching up with refresh and sample rates and
all that jazz, because i see that the mouse sample rate in windows is set
for either 60, 80, or 100. Nothing between like 70, 72, 75, or 85. I even
have a razer diamondback 1600dpi usb2.0 mouse, and the problem is still
evident.

Also, on my desktop, if my monitor is set to 60hz, smooth 60 fps for the
mouse. If i set it to 100hz, smooth 100 fps for the mouse. But when i set
the monitor at 70, 72, 80, or 85 the mouse fps drops, skipping pixels and
not moving nearly as smooth.

Well, there you are; the system performance will not support smooth mouse
updating for that particular game. Ask the game publisher what's happening.

> "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
>> 'mike' wrote, in part:
>> | I have always been irritated by less than smooth mousing.
>> _____
>>
>> Perhaps you are wrong about this. Are you complaining about of game
>> performance, or productive software?
>> Information about you system hardware would also be helpful in giving a
>> useful answer. But basically mouse sample rates have nothing to do with
>> screen refresh rates, but rather how often the position of the mouse is
>> checked. Perhaps you system is not powerful enough for smooth
>> performance in the programs you use.
>>
>> Phil Weldon
>
> My system:
> 2500 barton @ 2.2ghz
> 1gig(512x2) OCZ performance PC3200 2-3-3-6
> AN35N Ultra 400 dual channel mobo
> 9700 Pro(stock)
> XP Pro
>
> I always get smooth performance in MOH:AA with my mouse. The mouse
> framerate moves at the same rate as the game, no matter what my monitor
> refresh is. So i assumed the programmers took this little problem into
> consideration and coded things to compensate for that problem.
> But Halo, even though my fps in Halo is 60, and is evident while i'm
> walking and not looking around with the mouse, once i move the mouse and
> look around with it, it makes it seem as if the game is not moving at
> 60fps because the mouse is not moving at 60fps. That's why i assumed that
> lazy game code would make the problem evident. However, when i set vsync
> on in Halo, and have my monitor refresh at 60 or 100, smooth mouse
> movement all the way. That's why i assumed it was something not synching
> up with refresh and sample rates and all that jazz, because i see that the
> mouse sample rate in windows is set for either 60, 80, or 100. Nothing
> between like 70, 72, 75, or 85. I even have a razer diamondback 1600dpi
> usb2.0 mouse, and the problem is still evident.
>
> Also, on my desktop, if my monitor is set to 60hz, smooth 60 fps for the
> mouse. If i set it to 100hz, smooth 100 fps for the mouse. But when i set
> the monitor at 70, 72, 80, or 85 the mouse fps drops, skipping pixels and
> not moving nearly as smooth.

Mike

Splendid

"Sune Storgaard" <nospam@strueradsl.dk> wrote in message
> rms wrote:
>>> The software drivers in XP have sample rates for 60,80,100.
>>
>> There is a utility to change the windows usb update rate, up to
>> 500hz. I posted about it once on comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, you
>> can search google groups for it. Also, the new Logitech G5 and G7
>> mice that come out next month have higher usb rates programmed into
>> the drivers. I imagine Razer mice offer something similar.
>
> Even though its slight offtopic, im sure alot of people will benefit of
> it. The tool i used is called usbmrs11.exe and is widely available , and
> as mentioned it can change the usb rate from 125, into 250,500 or even
> 1000. And before people start with weird comments that there arent any
> need for above 125polls pr sec, because monitor (usually) dont display
> that much, i can only say 1 thing: try it !
>
> mx518 @ 500 here, runs like a dream. My old explorer 3.0 got a second life
> that way.

You are the man! That utility worked like a dream. I've been trying to find
something simple like that for years. Even my old logitech usb1.x mouse is
as smooth as a mouse could get. I set it to 500hz, and it was such a HUGE
difference, i couldn't believe it. I don't even need to try 1000. Smooth as
could be mousing and sample rates now with desktop and whatever game i play,
with whatever mouse. Big thanks

geoff

"mike" <sonofzeus26@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have always been irritated by less than smooth mousing.
> With sample rates not synched to monitor refresh, the
> mouse always skips pixels, even with a hi res 1600dpi USB
> 2.0 mouse. The software drivers in XP have sample rates
> for 60,80,100. while standard monitor refresh rates are usually 60, 70,
> 72, 75, 85, 100. So, in order to get smooth mousing like
> i want, i always have to either choose 60 or 100 for my
> monitor refresh because it synchs up with the sample rate
> that XP has set for mice. So, why in hell don't they make
> a standard or something? My mouse, no matter what mouse i
> use, always moves smoother at 60hz or 100 than it does at
> 70, 72, 75 or 85hz. And this affects some games that do
> not code for it to compensate. I lose a bit of accuracy
> if i don't play at 60 or 100hz, and right now i can't
> play at 100 because my monitor burnt out on me. I'm using
> an old one that has a max 75. Playing at 60 gets
> irritating on the eyes at times. Am i wrong about this,
> and is there a fix out there somewhere for it?

no, live with till you get a new monitor

8/30/05 12:37:47 AM
mike <sonofzeus26@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<72JQe.317$sF6.27@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net>

> I have always been irritated by less than smooth mousing. With
sample rates
> not synched to monitor refresh, the mouse always skips pixels, even
with a
> hi res 1600dpi USB 2.0 mouse. The software drivers in XP have
sample rates
> for 60,80,100.
> while standard monitor refresh rates are usually 60, 70, 72, 75, 85,
100.
> So, in order to get smooth mousing like i want, i always have to
either
> choose 60 or 100 for my monitor refresh because it synchs up with
the sample
> rate that XP has set for mice. So, why in hell don't they make a
standard or
> something? My mouse, no matter what mouse i use, always moves
smoother at
> 60hz or 100 than it does at 70, 72, 75 or 85hz. And this affects
some games
> that do not code for it to compensate. I lose a bit of accuracy if
i don't
> play at 60 or 100hz, and right now i can't play at 100 because my
monitor
> burnt out on me. I'm using an old one that has a max 75. Playing at
60 gets
> irritating on the eyes at times. Am i wrong about this, and is
there a fix
> out there somewhere for it?

~ ~ ~ ~ LIXON SAMUEL ~ ~ ~ ~

SENIOR ERP HIRING CONSULTANT

Gender: Male
Location: Bangalore, India.
e-mail:lixon.joy@gmail.com

Even i too have problems with my Optical PS2 mice. They dont work on
my comp, but worked fine on another board.. Any solutions.. So i got
a new mice from Samsung, but it used to skip lots of frames (2 sec
intervals) and so i used to get lots of jerks in Games as well as
Desktop.. Any solutions
--
Composed with Newz Crawler 1.7 http://www.newzcrawler.com/