Instant Standby

Hi,
I am so desparate - I'll try anything.
I just bought the A8v and everthing installs perfectly until I install
the video drivers. As soon as I install the

drivers the system goes into standby. As soon as it boots up, it goes
into standby. I can't do anything. I've

installed xp about 10 times now, installing the drivers in different
orders, installing older drivers, installing

them before and after updating to sp2. I am stumped. I think it is
something simple because no one else seems to

be having this problem.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Pachydermitis

P.S. I did install the latest bios and F6'd to install the RAID drivers
- even though I am not using them at this

time.

System:
MB: A8v Delux
Cpu: Athlon 64 3500+ (I don't know which core or how to tell)
Vid: Nvidia Geforce FX 5800
Ram: 2GB (4x512) Corsair ddr400
Op: Win xp pro
Hdd: 1 36GB WD Sata raptor, 1 160GB WD Sata

<dedejavu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am so desparate - I'll try anything.
> I just bought the A8v and everthing installs perfectly until I install
> the video drivers. As soon as I install the
>
> drivers the system goes into standby. As soon as it boots up, it goes
> into standby. I can't do anything. I've
>
> installed xp about 10 times now, installing the drivers in different
> orders, installing older drivers, installing
>
> them before and after updating to sp2. I am stumped. I think it is
> something simple because no one else seems to
>
> be having this problem.
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Pachydermitis
>
> P.S. I did install the latest bios and F6'd to install the RAID drivers
> - even though I am not using them at this
>
> time.
>
> System:
> MB: A8v Delux
> Cpu: Athlon 64 3500+ (I don't know which core or how to tell)
> Vid: Nvidia Geforce FX 5800
> Ram: 2GB (4x512) Corsair ddr400
> Op: Win xp pro
> Hdd: 1 36GB WD Sata raptor, 1 160GB WD Sata

Are you sure it goes to standby? Maybe, the resolution and refresh rate is
set up wrong and the monitor just turns off. You could try booting into Safe
Mode. (Hold F8 when Windows starts to boot and select Safe Mode from the
list.)

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

dre

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

<dedejavu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am so desparate - I'll try anything.
> I just bought the A8v and everthing installs perfectly until I install
> the video drivers. As soon as I install the
>
> drivers the system goes into standby. As soon as it boots up, it goes
> into standby. I can't do anything. I've
>
> installed xp about 10 times now, installing the drivers in different
> orders, installing older drivers, installing
>
> them before and after updating to sp2. I am stumped. I think it is
> something simple because no one else seems to
>
> be having this problem.
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Pachydermitis
>
> P.S. I did install the latest bios and F6'd to install the RAID drivers
> - even though I am not using them at this
>
> time.
>
> System:
> MB: A8v Delux
> Cpu: Athlon 64 3500+ (I don't know which core or how to tell)
> Vid: Nvidia Geforce FX 5800
> Ram: 2GB (4x512) Corsair ddr400
> Op: Win xp pro
> Hdd: 1 36GB WD Sata raptor, 1 160GB WD Sata

Dont have a big enough power supply? with that system, I'd run at least a
450w...

Cheers Dre

What happens if you disable ACPI or APM in BIOS so computer cannot go into
standby.

<dedejavu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am so desparate - I'll try anything.
> I just bought the A8v and everthing installs perfectly until I install
> the video drivers. As soon as I install the
>
> drivers the system goes into standby. As soon as it boots up, it goes
> into standby. I can't do anything. I've
>
> installed xp about 10 times now, installing the drivers in different
> orders, installing older drivers, installing
>
> them before and after updating to sp2. I am stumped. I think it is
> something simple because no one else seems to
>
> be having this problem.
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Pachydermitis
>
> P.S. I did install the latest bios and F6'd to install the RAID drivers
> - even though I am not using them at this
>
> time.
>
> System:
> MB: A8v Delux
> Cpu: Athlon 64 3500+ (I don't know which core or how to tell)
> Vid: Nvidia Geforce FX 5800
> Ram: 2GB (4x512) Corsair ddr400
> Op: Win xp pro
> Hdd: 1 36GB WD Sata raptor, 1 160GB WD Sata

Hi all,
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a 450w psu, and windows boots
normally, but just goes into standby as soon as it is loaded. I tried
disabling ACPI and stumbled on the solution. In the BIOS power menu
there are 3 suspend mode choices, my video card only likes the s3
suspend mode, any other choice made it go into suspend right away. I
know the rule of problem solving by elimination - always start with the
easiest thing first - doh.
Thanks again
Pachydermitis