Installing Windows 7 for a new build, but using a HD from a Dell

loserdork

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
I'm going to reuse a hard drive from an older Dell. It has Windows Vista Home Basic on it. I have a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Upgrade disk.

1: Is there any Dell proprietary software, drivers, or bios that will prevent me from installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on the new build?

2: Is there any Dell proprietary software, drivers, or bios that will prevent me from overclocking?

3: I asked a friend what I should do if I ever needed to reinstall Windows 7 on the new build. He said that when I first install Windows 7, I should not enter in the product key. After it initial install, I should reinstall, and the second time through, I should then enter the product key. According to him, this will make it possible for me to use the Windows 7 Upgrade disk to reinstall Windows if I ever need to. Is this true? If so, why?

Solution

+1. You got it. Do a clean install and you'll be good to go. Regarding the product key issue with upgrade media, you may indeed have to install twice (first without key, then second time with key to perform the "upgrade"). Good luck!

loserdork

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Sorry, I should've read the "Common Questions" thread. I guess I just need to do a clean install. There's nothing important on the hard drive, so it should be fine.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

+1. You got it. Do a clean install and you'll be good to go. Regarding the product key issue with upgrade media, you may indeed have to install twice (first without key, then second time with key to perform the "upgrade"). Good luck!

Solution