DVI connector or VGA connector?

My vid card came with an adapter for VGA to DVI. The Sony LCD monitor I
have comes with a VGA connector. Should I use the DVI adapter or the VGA
connetor?

Bobtail wrote:
> My vid card came with an adapter for VGA to DVI. The Sony LCD monitor I
> have comes with a VGA connector. Should I use the DVI adapter or the VGA
> connetor?

On an LCD, if it has a DVI connector, you should generally use it.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Robert Hancock wrote:
> Bobtail wrote:
>
>> My vid card came with an adapter for VGA to DVI. The Sony LCD monitor
>> I have comes with a VGA connector. Should I use the DVI adapter or the
>> VGA connetor?
>

> On an LCD, if it has a DVI connector, you should generally use it.
> The monitor has a VGA connector. The vid card I upgraded to came with
both DVI and VGA connector inputs and a VGA to DVI adapter. Which one to
use is my question.

"Bobtail" <bobtail362@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Robert Hancock wrote:
>> Bobtail wrote:
>>
>>> My vid card came with an adapter for VGA to DVI. The Sony LCD monitor I
>>> have comes with a VGA connector. Should I use the DVI adapter or the VGA
>>> connetor?
>>

>> On an LCD, if it has a DVI connector, you should generally use it.
>> The monitor has a VGA connector. The vid card I upgraded to came with
> both DVI and VGA connector inputs and a VGA to DVI adapter. Which one to
> use is my question.

Use the VGA connector on the video card, no need to use that adapter.
McG.

dre

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Robert Hancock" <hancockr@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Bobtail wrote:
> > My vid card came with an adapter for VGA to DVI. The Sony LCD monitor I
> > have comes with a VGA connector. Should I use the DVI adapter or the VGA
> > connetor?
>
> On an LCD, if it has a DVI connector, you should generally use it.
>
> --
> Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
> To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@nospamshaw.ca
> Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/

But this is about monitors/LCD screens with only a VGA connector. I'd like
to know this aswell.

With a screen that only has a VGA connector, is it better to run the video
card through a standalong VGA cable or is it better to run the video card
through a VGA-DVI connector first???

Do you get different results with an LCD via DVI-VGA over VGA, and also with
a CRT running through a DVI-VGA connector over a VGA?

Cheers Dre

Dre wrote:
> "Robert Hancock" <hancockr@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
>
>>Bobtail wrote:
>>
>>>My vid card came with an adapter for VGA to DVI. The Sony LCD monitor I
>>>have comes with a VGA connector. Should I use the DVI adapter or the VGA
>>>connetor?
>>
>>On an LCD, if it has a DVI connector, you should generally use it.
>>
>>--
>>Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
>>To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@nospamshaw.ca
>>Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/
>

> But this is about monitors/LCD screens with only a VGA connector. I'd like
> to know this aswell.
>
> With a screen that only has a VGA connector, is it better to run the video
> card through a standalong VGA cable or is it better to run the video card
> through a VGA-DVI connector first???
>
> Do you get different results with an LCD via DVI-VGA over VGA, and also with
> a CRT running through a DVI-VGA connector over a VGA?
>
> Cheers Dre

Exactly my question. Too bad Im too drunk to articulate the question so
succinctly.

If the monitor only has a VGA connection then use the video card's VGA
output. You do NOT need to use the DVI converter.

--
DaveW
> My vid card came with an adapter for VGA to DVI. The Sony LCD monitor I
> have comes with a VGA connector. Should I use the DVI adapter or the VGA
> connetor?

dre

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Dre wrote:
> > "Robert Hancock" <hancockr@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message

VGA

> >>On an LCD, if it has a DVI connector, you should generally use it.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
> >>To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@nospamshaw.ca
> >>Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/
> >

> > But this is about monitors/LCD screens with only a VGA connector. I'd
like
> > to know this aswell.
> >
> > With a screen that only has a VGA connector, is it better to run the
video
> > card through a standalong VGA cable or is it better to run the video
card
> > through a VGA-DVI connector first???
> >
> > Do you get different results with an LCD via DVI-VGA over VGA, and also
with
> > a CRT running through a DVI-VGA connector over a VGA?
> >
> > Cheers Dre
> >

> Exactly my question. Too bad Im too drunk to articulate the question so
> succinctly.

:)

Cheers Dre

On 9/2/2005 4:26 PM DaveW brightened our day with:

>If the monitor only has a VGA connection then use the video card's VGA
>output. You do NOT need to use the DVI converter.

Unless the card doesn't have a VGA output. Mine doesn't.

--
Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said that about Galileo."
Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

If the Sony LCD only has a VGA connector, you should get rid of it. :) LCD
monitors should only be driven with a digital connection. Anything else
would be ass-backwards.