The First Glimpse of the Windows 8 Start Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
It seems to me that the start menu shown in the picture is likely a specific start menu for My Computer (or whatever it will be called) as opposed to the actual Desktop start menu.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
At least they seem to be still calling it a "Start Menu", unlike the taskbar -> superbar name change with Vista -> 7. Funny enough, the option itself wasn't changed within windows, so it still said "Lock the taskbar" instead of "lock the superbar".

G

And so they continue to dumb things down for phones and tablets. To hell with people who actually use their computers.

Yeah Start Menu is for noobs, they should scrap it and go back to a command line interface!

chaos133

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
One of my favorite features of Windows 7 was clicking on the start menu and typing in a few letters of the programs name in the search bar, it looks like with windows 8 you will have to click on Search instead of just typing it, it's not really a big deal I guess but it won't be as easy as before.

pckitty4427

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
[citation][nom]Wamphryi[/nom]It seems to me that the start menu shown in the picture is likely a specific start menu for My Computer (or whatever it will be called) as opposed to the actual Desktop start menu.[/citation]

That sounds quite possible coming to think of it... I hope that's the case anyway.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Meh... I think change should be embraced, but the way Windows 7 did it I think was actually more... convenient because the Start button basically gets you going.

Oh well, new OS, new UI.
I do think however that the ribbon based interface for Windows Explorer is unnecessary when you take into account how much space it occupies.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Moan, moan, complain, moan, I'm thirteen, moan, complain and add an extra slice of rant.

It's in beta. It's not done yet.

"One of my favorite features of Windows 7 was clicking on the start menu and typing in a few letters of the programs name in the search bar, it looks like with windows 8 you will have to click on Search instead of just typing it, it's not really a big deal I guess but it won't be as easy as before."
...You wouldn't believe how many people simply do not know that you can do that.

P.s. That looks like it#ll be the start menu for the Metro theme once it drops back into Windows 8.

G

The Windows start menu has been steadily getting harder and harder to use. You've got hidden items, lots of scrolling, and all that dumbness with the 'All Programs' compressed into a little box in Win7, gah! If they want to dumb that part down, and perhaps make it less 'scrolley', that's a good improvement, if you ask me. Windows is becoming a torture for non-techies to use. Probably why they're all going to Android.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Don't like. Too dumbed down. Hope there's a Win7 style, too. Can MS make a version of Win8 that is NOT targeted at the "common (read: dumb) user"? Call it Windows 8 Power User Edition or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.