How do I know if my card is direct X 9.0 compatible?

I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
if its direct X 9.0 compatible?

I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...

How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?
13 answers Last reply
More about card direct compatible

    That older card is designed for DX 8.0. You would need one of the newer
    cards to have DX 9.0c circuitry.

    --
    DaveW

    On 4 Sep 2005 10:16:31 -0700, potnisanish@gmail.com wrote:

    >I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
    >can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
    >if its direct X 9.0 compatible?
    >
    >I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
    >between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...
    >
    >How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?

    Your card does not support DX 9 hardware features as it is a
    DX 8.1 card, but as far as I know, there aren't any games that require
    DX 9 hardware. Only that DX 9 be installed. The DX 9 features are
    absent from games that support it when using your card.

    <potnisanish@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
    > can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
    > if its direct X 9.0 compatible?
    >
    > I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
    > between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...
    >
    > How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?

    Your card is DX9 *compatible*. It will run games that require DX9 to be
    installed, so long as you install DX9.

    It is not DX9 *compliant*, meaning you don't get any advanced DX9-only stuff
    when you use it, only DX8.1 versions of those commands (if they exist.)

    RF.

    On 4 Sep 2005 10:16:31 -0700, potnisanish@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
    > can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
    > if its direct X 9.0 compatible?
    >
    > I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
    > between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...
    >
    > How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?

    Yours is not, check nvidia site and you'll find all you ask ! :)

    your card is compatible but not compliant.
    It will run most directx9 stuff but you don't get the eye candy.

    <potnisanish@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
    > can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
    > if its direct X 9.0 compatible?
    >
    > I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
    > between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...
    >
    > How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?

    Your 4400s GPU has the hardware to run Direct X 8.1
    Some newer games just require your system to be updated with
    the latest version of Direct X software (like 9.0) to work.

    Having a newer card (GPU) with hardware that directly supports Direct X 9.0
    will just add more features and details to whatever is on the screen.

    You have to figure on whoever designs a game want to be able to sell
    it to as many people as possible, and lots of people out there
    still use NVIDIA 4200, 4400 & 4600 cards.

    <potnisanish@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
    > can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
    > if its direct X 9.0 compatible?
    >
    > I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
    > between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...
    >
    > How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?

    Tell the BF2 developers about it...

    Fact is, most developers don't have a clue what kind of cards are in most
    machines. Market those $400 video cards long enough, and developers start
    thinking everyone owns a Geforce6 or X800.

    The exception is Valve, which runs continuous surveys on its Steam network.
    See
    http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

    There are some surprises, like almost *three times* as many HL2 players
    running GF4 MX as 6800GT. Or more people using i845 *integrated video* than
    the ATi X800 series. So much for all the fancy schmancy HDR rendering and SM
    3.0.

    On the other hand, despite all the HL2 vouchers bundled with Radeons, nVidia
    users outnumber ATi 5 to 4, thanks to the strength of the MX cards. Better
    yet, Valve can make HL2 completely unusable on the GF6 series, and lose only
    14% in sales.

    "Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
    > On 4 Sep 2005 10:16:31 -0700, potnisanish@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
    >>can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
    >>if its direct X 9.0 compatible?
    >>
    >>I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
    >>between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...
    >>
    >>How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?
    >

    > Your card does not support DX 9 hardware features as it is a
    > DX 8.1 card, but as far as I know, there aren't any games that require
    > DX 9 hardware. Only that DX 9 be installed. The DX 9 features are
    > absent from games that support it when using your card.

    Battlefield 2 requires a dx9 compatible videocard. You can get a patch that
    will allow it to run on Ti4400/4600 cards but the experience really isn't
    worth the effort.

    Rob.

    'First of One' wrote, in part:
    | Fact is, most developers don't have a clue what kind of cards are in most
    | machines.
    _____

    Thanks for posting that link. It's a very good antidote for those dazzled
    by marketing and slick magazine 'screen shots.'

    Phil Weldon

    Larry Roberts wrote:

    > Your card does not support DX 9 hardware features as it is a
    >DX 8.1 card, but as far as I know, there aren't any games that require
    >DX 9 hardware. Only that DX 9 be installed. The DX 9 features are
    >absent from games that support it when using your card.

    Most of the games of the last year have required it. Those crashes when
    trying to run them with dx9 on a dx8.1 card come when the program tries
    to do something it assumes it can do because dx9 is installed, but in
    fact the hardware does not support.

    The same will be true of the dx9-killer, dx10.

    Thanks billgates for all of this.

    --
    Godwin is a net-nazi

    potnisanish@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
    > can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
    > if its direct X 9.0 compatible?
    >
    > I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
    > between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...
    >
    > How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?

    That card doesn't support DX9.0 features. For HL2 you really want a
    GeForce 6-series or 7-series..

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    <potnisanish@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
    > can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...)

    Indeed. Valve is the only one to do any kind of market-research on the
    installed user base, so HL2 runs decently on a wide range of hardware.

    > and how do I know if its direct X 9.0 compatible?

    The fact you are using the latest drivers (common to the Geforce5/6/7) means
    your card automatically becomes DX9 *compatible*, but not *compliant*.

    > How do i know if its running 9.0?

    It's not. The drivers will report to the game that xx and xy DX9 features
    are not available (that's the "compatible" part), and the game falls back to
    DX8 visuals, which sometimes can be less pretty. Other times it'll do the
    same operations in more passes, keeping the same visuals but slowing things
    down considerably.

    > And if it can't, what card can?

    Anything from the FX5200 onwards (though they are slow). A high-midrange
    6800GT or X800XL would be equal to the Ti4400's market positioning back in
    the days.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    All 4x00 cards are DX8 compatible only, not 8.1 and definatley not 9.

    <potnisanish@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
    > can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
    > if its direct X 9.0 compatible?
    >
    > I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
    > between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...
    >
    > How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?

Nvidia Compatibility Directx Graphics