How do I know if my card is direct X 9.0 compatible?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 4, 2005 2:16:31 PM

I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
if its direct X 9.0 compatible?

I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...

How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?

More about : card direct compatible

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 8:24:40 PM

That older card is designed for DX 8.0. You would need one of the newer
cards to have DX 9.0c circuitry.

--
DaveW
<potnisanish@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
> can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
> if its direct X 9.0 compatible?
>
> I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
> between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...
>
> How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 9:51:29 PM

On 4 Sep 2005 10:16:31 -0700, potnisanish@gmail.com wrote:

>I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
>can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
>if its direct X 9.0 compatible?
>
>I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
>between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...
>
>How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?

Your card does not support DX 9 hardware features as it is a
DX 8.1 card, but as far as I know, there aren't any games that require
DX 9 hardware. Only that DX 9 be installed. The DX 9 features are
absent from games that support it when using your card.
September 4, 2005 11:18:50 PM

<potnisanish@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
> can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
> if its direct X 9.0 compatible?
>
> I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
> between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...
>
> How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?

Your card is DX9 *compatible*. It will run games that require DX9 to be
installed, so long as you install DX9.

It is not DX9 *compliant*, meaning you don't get any advanced DX9-only stuff
when you use it, only DX8.1 versions of those commands (if they exist.)

RF.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 12:37:47 AM

On 4 Sep 2005 10:16:31 -0700, potnisanish@gmail.com wrote:

> I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
> can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
> if its direct X 9.0 compatible?
>
> I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
> between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...
>
> How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?

Yours is not, check nvidia site and you'll find all you ask ! :)
September 5, 2005 12:48:40 AM

your card is compatible but not compliant.
It will run most directx9 stuff but you don't get the eye candy.

<potnisanish@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
> can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
> if its direct X 9.0 compatible?
>
> I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
> between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...
>
> How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:11:26 AM

Your 4400s GPU has the hardware to run Direct X 8.1
Some newer games just require your system to be updated with
the latest version of Direct X software (like 9.0) to work.

Having a newer card (GPU) with hardware that directly supports Direct X 9.0
will just add more features and details to whatever is on the screen.

You have to figure on whoever designs a game want to be able to sell
it to as many people as possible, and lots of people out there
still use NVIDIA 4200, 4400 & 4600 cards.

<potnisanish@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
> can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
> if its direct X 9.0 compatible?
>
> I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
> between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...
>
> How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:11:27 AM

Tell the BF2 developers about it...

Fact is, most developers don't have a clue what kind of cards are in most
machines. Market those $400 video cards long enough, and developers start
thinking everyone owns a Geforce6 or X800.

The exception is Valve, which runs continuous surveys on its Steam network.
See
http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

There are some surprises, like almost *three times* as many HL2 players
running GF4 MX as 6800GT. Or more people using i845 *integrated video* than
the ATi X800 series. So much for all the fancy schmancy HDR rendering and SM
3.0.

On the other hand, despite all the HL2 vouchers bundled with Radeons, nVidia
users outnumber ATi 5 to 4, thanks to the strength of the MX cards. Better
yet, Valve can make HL2 completely unusable on the GF6 series, and lose only
14% in sales.

"tod" <no_spam_i@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> You have to figure on whoever designs a game want to be able to sell
> it to as many people as possible, and lots of people out there
> still use NVIDIA 4200, 4400 & 4600 cards.
September 5, 2005 4:41:21 AM

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
> On 4 Sep 2005 10:16:31 -0700, potnisanish@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
>>can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
>>if its direct X 9.0 compatible?
>>
>>I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
>>between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...
>>
>>How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?
>

> Your card does not support DX 9 hardware features as it is a
> DX 8.1 card, but as far as I know, there aren't any games that require
> DX 9 hardware. Only that DX 9 be installed. The DX 9 features are
> absent from games that support it when using your card.

Battlefield 2 requires a dx9 compatible videocard. You can get a patch that
will allow it to run on Ti4400/4600 cards but the experience really isn't
worth the effort.

Rob.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:15:22 AM

'First of One' wrote, in part:
| Fact is, most developers don't have a clue what kind of cards are in most
| machines.
_____

Thanks for posting that link. It's a very good antidote for those dazzled
by marketing and slick magazine 'screen shots.'

Phil Weldon

> Tell the BF2 developers about it...
>
> Fact is, most developers don't have a clue what kind of cards are in most
> machines. Market those $400 video cards long enough, and developers start
> thinking everyone owns a Geforce6 or X800.
>
> The exception is Valve, which runs continuous surveys on its Steam
> network. See
> http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html
>
> There are some surprises, like almost *three times* as many HL2 players
> running GF4 MX as 6800GT. Or more people using i845 *integrated video*
> than the ATi X800 series. So much for all the fancy schmancy HDR rendering
> and SM 3.0.
>
> On the other hand, despite all the HL2 vouchers bundled with Radeons,
> nVidia users outnumber ATi 5 to 4, thanks to the strength of the MX cards.
> Better yet, Valve can make HL2 completely unusable on the GF6 series, and
> lose only 14% in sales.

> "tod" <no_spam_i@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> You have to figure on whoever designs a game want to be able to sell
>> it to as many people as possible, and lots of people out there
>> still use NVIDIA 4200, 4400 & 4600 cards.

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:34:56 AM

Larry Roberts wrote:

> Your card does not support DX 9 hardware features as it is a
>DX 8.1 card, but as far as I know, there aren't any games that require
>DX 9 hardware. Only that DX 9 be installed. The DX 9 features are
>absent from games that support it when using your card.

Most of the games of the last year have required it. Those crashes when
trying to run them with dx9 on a dx8.1 card come when the program tries
to do something it assumes it can do because dx9 is installed, but in
fact the hardware does not support.

The same will be true of the dx9-killer, dx10.

Thanks billgates for all of this.

--
Godwin is a net-nazi
Anonymous

potnisanish@gmail.com wrote:
> I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
> can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...) and how do I know
> if its direct X 9.0 compatible?
>
> I went to gamespot and saw a video they had that shows the difference
> between direct x 7 8 and 9, and 9 looks so much better...
>
> How do i know if its running 9.0? And if it can't, what card can?

That card doesn't support DX9.0 features. For HL2 you really want a
GeForce 6-series or 7-series..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
September 5, 2005 2:13:57 PM

<potnisanish@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a geforce ti 4400 from visiontek (piece of junk I know, but I
> can run half-life 2 with the stuff turned up so...)

Indeed. Valve is the only one to do any kind of market-research on the
installed user base, so HL2 runs decently on a wide range of hardware.

> and how do I know if its direct X 9.0 compatible?

The fact you are using the latest drivers (common to the Geforce5/6/7) means
your card automatically becomes DX9 *compatible*, but not *compliant*.

> How do i know if its running 9.0?

It's not. The drivers will report to the game that xx and xy DX9 features
are not available (that's the "compatible" part), and the game falls back to
DX8 visuals, which sometimes can be less pretty. Other times it'll do the
same operations in more passes, keeping the same visuals but slowing things
down considerably.

> And if it can't, what card can?

Anything from the FX5200 onwards (though they are slow). A high-midrange
6800GT or X800XL would be equal to the Ti4400's market positioning back in
the days.

September 12, 2005 12:21:30 AM

All 4x00 cards are DX8 compatible only, not 8.1 and definatley not 9.

!