Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gigabyte 6600GT AGP4x problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 6:48:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hi

I've have an Asus P4PE and decided to upgrade my old GF4 Ti4200 64mb,
which ran fine on the board's AGP4X

I have installed a Gigabyte 6600GT, but the Gigabyte monitoring
software shows it running at only AGP1X - the ForceWare drivers are
showing the bus as PCI x0

I think I have identified the problem - the board is AGP v2 and the
card wants AGP v3.

Is there anything I can do with the P4PE board or the card to get them
running together at AGP4X?

I have tried software solutions such as PowerStrip, which reports AGP4X
but it isn't

Thanks in advance
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:22:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I have an original version of the P4PE that I am using (first BIOS version)
and I am successfully running a 6800 GT at AGP 4x. My guess would be that
you have to go into your motherboard's BIOS settings at Startup and set the
AGP speed setting to 4X. It may not be automatic.

--
DaveW
__________

"D0wen" <Mr_D_Owen@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1125956880.768861.200480@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi
>
> I've have an Asus P4PE and decided to upgrade my old GF4 Ti4200 64mb,
> which ran fine on the board's AGP4X
>
> I have installed a Gigabyte 6600GT, but the Gigabyte monitoring
> software shows it running at only AGP1X - the ForceWare drivers are
> showing the bus as PCI x0
>
> I think I have identified the problem - the board is AGP v2 and the
> card wants AGP v3.
>
> Is there anything I can do with the P4PE board or the card to get them
> running together at AGP4X?
>
> I have tried software solutions such as PowerStrip, which reports AGP4X
> but it isn't
>
> Thanks in advance
>
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 10:42:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"D0wen" <Mr_D_Owen@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1125956880.768861.200480@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> I have installed a Gigabyte 6600GT, but the Gigabyte monitoring
> software shows it running at only AGP1X -

I wouldn't necessarily trust Gigabyte's own software on this one. Confirm it
with another utility like Lavalys Everest.

> the ForceWare drivers are showing the bus as PCI x0

PCI x0 is the physical location of the AGP slot on the M/B. AGP really is
just an extension of PCI architecture. PCI x0 does not indicate current AGP
speed.

> I think I have identified the problem - the board is AGP v2 and the
> card wants AGP v3.

That shouldn't be the problem. The 6600GT, being AGP v3 (8x)-compliant, can
fall back to v2 (4x) mode to run on older M/Bs.

> Is there anything I can do with the P4PE board or the card to get them
> running together at AGP4X?

If another utility like Everest also reports it's currently running at 1x,
try updated Intel chipset drivers and see if AGP4x works:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Pro...

If nothing works, leave it alone. Don't poison your system by frantically
installing questionable drivers and patches. The speed advantage of AGP4x
over 1x is practically nonexistent in real games. See:
http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=554

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
Related resources
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 4:31:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On 5 Sep 2005 14:48:00 -0700, "D0wen" <Mr_D_Owen@lycos.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I've have an Asus P4PE and decided to upgrade my old GF4 Ti4200 64mb,
>which ran fine on the board's AGP4X
>
>I have installed a Gigabyte 6600GT, but the Gigabyte monitoring
>software shows it running at only AGP1X - the ForceWare drivers are
>showing the bus as PCI x0
>
>I think I have identified the problem - the board is AGP v2 and the
>card wants AGP v3.
>
>Is there anything I can do with the P4PE board or the card to get them
>running together at AGP4X?
>
>I have tried software solutions such as PowerStrip, which reports AGP4X
>but it isn't
>
>Thanks in advance


I have installed my 6600GT AGP in an MSI 6382 v1 (VIA KT266A)
mainboard which only goes to AGP 4x, and it worked fine. The 6600GT
AGP cards are AGP 4x compatable. As for the Forceware drivers showing
PCI x0, if I recall, I think my brother's Intel PIII PC shows this as
well, and it's an AGP 4x mainboard.
Does your BIOS ave an option to set the AGP speed? Make sure
it's set to 4x, and use something else besides the Gigabyte monitoring
program. Everest is a good, free program to see if it is running at
AGP 4x, or not.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 6:19:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

First of One wrote:
> "D0wen" <Mr_D_Owen@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
>>the ForceWare drivers are showing the bus as PCI x0
> PCI x0 is the physical location of the AGP slot on the M/B. AGP really is
> just an extension of PCI architecture. PCI x0 does not indicate current AGP
> speed.

Forceware shows bus as AGP 8X here. I think that means it runs in slower
PCI-mode because AGP-acceleration isn't available. Meaning, perhaps
D0wen should (re)install chipset drivers...
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 6:58:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Thanks for the replies all, some useful information.

Here's where I'm up to;

P4PE BIOS flashed to 1006 = no difference
AGP in BIOS set to 4X (always has been)
If I put my old Ti4200 back in, ForceWare identifies at 4X
Updated the Intel chipset drivers = no difference
- regarding the Intel upgrade - the site specifically says;

"**Important**
The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility provides
_functionality_ for AGP and USB, _not_ AGP or USB drivers. DO NOT
DOWNLOAD THIS UTILITY IF YOUR DEVICE MANUFACTURER IS RECOMMENDING IT TO
CORRECT AN "AGP DRIVER," "AGP GART," OR "USB DRIVER" ISSUE; IT WILL NOT
CORRECT YOUR ISSUE.

I will download the Everest software and see what it reports.

Thanks again

D.O.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:27:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Sune Storgaard wrote:
> In the tests with a decent resolution, the x1 chokes. If he had a x4/x8
> problem, i would have followed your advice, but x1 is a giant bottleneck for
> such card.

I noticed a difference in AquaMark's "Massive Overdraw"-test between 4x
and 8x, so I guess AGP8X is really faster in some cases after all.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 6:41:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 16:22:53 -0700, "DaveW" <nowhere@dot.org> wrote:

>I have an original version of the P4PE that I am using (first BIOS version)
>and I am successfully running a 6800 GT at AGP 4x. My guess would be that
>you have to go into your motherboard's BIOS settings at Startup and set the
>AGP speed setting to 4X. It may not be automatic.



And Totally remove the old drivers with Driver Cleaner Pro


http://www.driverheaven.net/#news76417


No direct link to the Program..
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 9:39:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

That's the thing. 3DMark and Aquamark both show improvements with AGP8x.
3DMark and, to a lesser extent, Aquamark are both synthetic benchmarks.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."


"de Moni" <demonimummFILTER@mail.com> wrote in message
news:D fjju7$bi9$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi...
> I noticed a difference in AquaMark's "Massive Overdraw"-test between 4x
> and 8x, so I guess AGP8X is really faster in some cases after all.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 6:57:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Problem fixed!

Following advice form here and other forums, I installed the latest
Intel chipset drivers - version 7.2.1.1003 (11/7/2005), but it had no
effect. On reading the release notes, these latest drivers do not have
support for the 845PE chipset.

I downloaded an older set - 6.3.0.1007 16/12/2004, which seems to be
the last that mentions 845PE in the release notes and they worked
perfectly - I'm now back to 4X and the 6600GT is running great

Many thanks to all who answered, hope this helps someone else in the
future.

D.O.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 10:17:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

So it appears VIA and SiS are not the only ones requiring "extraneous"
drivers to function properly...

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."


"D0wen" <Mr_D_Owen@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1126087053.154156.229970@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Problem fixed!
>
> Following advice form here and other forums, I installed the latest
> Intel chipset drivers - version 7.2.1.1003 (11/7/2005), but it had no
> effect. On reading the release notes, these latest drivers do not have
> support for the 845PE chipset.
>
> I downloaded an older set - 6.3.0.1007 16/12/2004, which seems to be
> the last that mentions 845PE in the release notes and they worked
> perfectly - I'm now back to 4X and the 6600GT is running great
>
> Many thanks to all who answered, hope this helps someone else in the
> future.
>
> D.O.
>
!