Wireless Networking - Hardware Requirements

Hi All,

I'm looking to go wireless but need some advice regarding the hardware
required.

Currently I have one broadband connection shared via a netgear RP614 router
to four PC's.
What I am hoping to do is to have my PC running on wireless, but still allow
the remaining three to run wired.
I've read up a bit and this is the way I think it can be done (please
correct me if I'm wrong!);

Connect a wireless access point (netgear WG602) to my port on the router,
put a wireless PCI card in my machine (netgear WG311), or would I be better
off using a USB adapter?

What sort of range would I expect using this set-up, bearing in mind the WAP
will be downstairs and the PC will be upstairs (but not necessarily above
the WAP)

Many thanks

Dan

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:45:18 +0100, "Dan Ricketts" <Someone@Somewhere.com>
wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I'm looking to go wireless but need some advice regarding the hardware
>required.
>
>Currently I have one broadband connection shared via a netgear RP614 router
>to four PC's.
>What I am hoping to do is to have my PC running on wireless, but still allow
>the remaining three to run wired.
>I've read up a bit and this is the way I think it can be done (please
>correct me if I'm wrong!);
>
>Connect a wireless access point (netgear WG602) to my port on the router,
>put a wireless PCI card in my machine (netgear WG311), or would I be better
>off using a USB adapter?
>
>What sort of range would I expect using this set-up, bearing in mind the WAP
>will be downstairs and the PC will be upstairs (but not necessarily above
>the WAP)
>
>Many thanks
>
>Dan

Dan,

Both PCI and USB devices have their advantages. Consider carefully the
characteristics of whatever you're going to purchase.

Your installation might be trickier than some. You'll be sending the signal
thru a floor, and maybe thru walls. Wireless does not travel as well thru
floors as thru walls. If the two units are not located directly above / below
each other, you may have to play a bit with the antennas, so make sure whatever
you buy has moveable antennas. In your case, USB with the cable to move the
unit away from the computer may be a good idea too.

IMHO, buying all equipment from the same manufacturer is a good idea. When you
have a problem, Netgear techs can't point their finger at the other manufacturer
as the source of the problem.

Cheers,
Chuck