Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Updating TNT2 RVIDIA Model 64

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 7, 2005 10:59:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hi folks,

RE: Updating Driver for: TNT2 RVIDIA Model 64

I must admit, I often wonder who puts some of these software programs and
support together. Trying to update the driver for this card is like
grovelling through a maze. Take a look at the NVIDIA driver update page. If
a lay computer user can figure it out, all power to them. I can't even get a
straight answer concerning whether or not I should update? What's the scoop?
I'm just John Q Public computer user.

Thanks,

John Q
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:39:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:l8Wdnbf-V4Z9B4LeRVn-rA@comcast.com...
> I must admit, I often wonder who puts some of these software programs and
> support together. Trying to update the driver for this card is like
> grovelling through a maze. Take a look at the NVIDIA driver update page.
> If
> a lay computer user can figure it out, all power to them.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_71.84.html

Keep in mind nVidia makes the processor, but not the card. "Officially" you
should not be going to nVidia's web site for drivers or for help, for the
same reason you don't go to Magna if something in your Ford breaks.

> I can't even get a
> straight answer concerning whether or not I should update? What's the
> scoop?
> I'm just John Q Public computer user.

There ISN'T a straight answer. The links above are for the latest drivers
supporting the TNT2. Whether YOU should update depends on if your current
drivers are working correctly, how closely your card follows the nVidia
reference design, if you play the latest games, etc.

80% of computer users just install the old drivers off the CD that came with
the card and never update for the life of the card... Go figure.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:55:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 18:59:45 -0700, "Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net>
wrote:

>
>Hi folks,
>
>RE: Updating Driver for: TNT2 RVIDIA Model 64
>
>I must admit, I often wonder who puts some of these software programs and
>support together. Trying to update the driver for this card is like
>grovelling through a maze. Take a look at the NVIDIA driver update page. If
>a lay computer user can figure it out, all power to them. I can't even get a
>straight answer concerning whether or not I should update? What's the scoop?
>I'm just John Q Public computer user.
>
>Thanks,
>
>John Q
>


The newer drivers no longer support the TNT2. If your running
WinXP, I'd just get the 56.xx series, or lower. Those support the TNT2
M64 for sure as I installed them on an old system with a TNT2 M64 32MB
AGP card, and WinXP Pro. It ran fine with the games it was capable of
running.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 7:11:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

'Marcus' wrote, in part:
| Trying to update the driver for this card is like
| grovelling through a maze.
_____

#1. Why would you want to update?
#2. Doesn't going to http://www.nvidia.com
and chosing
[Download Drivers]
and then choosing
[Graphics Drivers]
[GeForce and TNT2]
[operating system]
work for you?

Phil Weldon

"Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:l8Wdnbf-V4Z9B4LeRVn-rA@comcast.com...
>
> Hi folks,
>
> RE: Updating Driver for: TNT2 RVIDIA Model 64
>
> I must admit, I often wonder who puts some of these software programs and
> support together. Trying to update the driver for this card is like
> grovelling through a maze. Take a look at the NVIDIA driver update page.
> If
> a lay computer user can figure it out, all power to them. I can't even get
> a
> straight answer concerning whether or not I should update? What's the
> scoop?
> I'm just John Q Public computer user.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Q
>
>
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 2:24:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Larry wrote on Wed, 07 Sep 2005 23:55:57 -0500:

> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 18:59:45 -0700, "Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> RE: Updating Driver for: TNT2 RVIDIA Model 64
>>
>> I must admit, I often wonder who puts some of these software programs and
>> support together. Trying to update the driver for this card is like
>> grovelling through a maze. Take a look at the NVIDIA driver update page.
>> If a lay computer user can figure it out, all power to them. I can't even
>> get a straight answer concerning whether or not I should update? What's
>> the scoop? I'm just John Q Public computer user.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John Q
>>
> The newer drivers no longer support the TNT2. If your running
> WinXP, I'd just get the 56.xx series, or lower. Those support the TNT2
> M64 for sure as I installed them on an old system with a TNT2 M64 32MB
> AGP card, and WinXP Pro. It ran fine with the games it was capable of
> running.

TNT2 is supported up to the 71.89 on 2K/XP and 71.84 in Win9x/ME, support
was dropped in the latest (ForceWare 75 series). The only known issue in the
release notes for 71.89 and 71.84 is that Quake III may throw a malloc()
error, which is apparently due to a recursion bug in Quake III itself. By
running the older 56.xx or lower you lose some of the new features
(improvements in the display manager and nView) of the 6x.xx and 7x.xx
drivers.

Dan
September 8, 2005 2:24:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Like I say, I'm just John Q Public computer user....and I am now, after
reading these posts, I'm more confused than ever!


John Q



"Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3oaeb2F4uqr5U1@individual.net...
Larry wrote on Wed, 07 Sep 2005 23:55:57 -0500:

> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 18:59:45 -0700, "Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> RE: Updating Driver for: TNT2 RVIDIA Model 64
>>
>> I must admit, I often wonder who puts some of these software programs and
>> support together. Trying to update the driver for this card is like
>> grovelling through a maze. Take a look at the NVIDIA driver update page.
>> If a lay computer user can figure it out, all power to them. I can't even
>> get a straight answer concerning whether or not I should update? What's
>> the scoop? I'm just John Q Public computer user.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John Q
>>
> The newer drivers no longer support the TNT2. If your running
> WinXP, I'd just get the 56.xx series, or lower. Those support the TNT2
> M64 for sure as I installed them on an old system with a TNT2 M64 32MB
> AGP card, and WinXP Pro. It ran fine with the games it was capable of
> running.

TNT2 is supported up to the 71.89 on 2K/XP and 71.84 in Win9x/ME, support
was dropped in the latest (ForceWare 75 series). The only known issue in the
release notes for 71.89 and 71.84 is that Quake III may throw a malloc()
error, which is apparently due to a recursion bug in Quake III itself. By
running the older 56.xx or lower you lose some of the new features
(improvements in the display manager and nView) of the 6x.xx and 7x.xx
drivers.

Dan
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 8:57:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Marcus wrote on Thu, 8 Sep 2005 08:34:50 -0700:

> Like I say, I'm just John Q Public computer user....and I am now, after
> reading these posts, I'm more confused than ever!

What version of Windows are you using?

If it's Windows 2000 or Windows XP, get the drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html

If it's Windows 95, 98, or ME, get them from http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_71.84.html

If Windows NT 4, get them from http://www.nvidia.com/object/winnt_71.84.html

That should be it. If you play Quake III then you may have issues, if not
then you should be fine.

Dan
September 8, 2005 8:57:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Okay.....thanks,

Now that the driver has been downloaded, I need to know EXACTLY how to
install it. If you can help me with that I'd really appreciate it.

John Q



"Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3ob5bgF54pn6U1@individual.net...
Marcus wrote on Thu, 8 Sep 2005 08:34:50 -0700:

> Like I say, I'm just John Q Public computer user....and I am now, after
> reading these posts, I'm more confused than ever!

What version of Windows are you using?

If it's Windows 2000 or Windows XP, get the drivers from
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html

If it's Windows 95, 98, or ME, get them from
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_71.84.html

If Windows NT 4, get them from http://www.nvidia.com/object/winnt_71.84.html

That should be it. If you play Quake III then you may have issues, if not
then you should be fine.

Dan
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 8:57:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:32:00 -0700, "Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Okay.....thanks,
>
>Now that the driver has been downloaded, I need to know EXACTLY how to
>install it. If you can help me with that I'd really appreciate it.
>
>John Q
>

What I would do is also get a program called Driver Cleaner
PE. http://www.drivercleaner.net/
Go into Windows Control Panal, and remove the Nvidia Display Driver
from Uninstall. Once this is done, install, and run Driver Cleaner PE,
and have it clean the Nvidia driver, so you can make sure any leftover
Nvidia drivers are removed. Then reboot, and if Windows want you to
install drivers for the card, cancel. Then run the driver file you
downloaded, an it should install, and detect your card. Reboot, and it
should then work fine... Hopefully allowing you to set your display
the way you need it.
September 8, 2005 8:57:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hi,

When you say: "run the driver file you downloaded" I assume you mean that
you double click it and then double click the exe file?

John Q


"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
news:a1v0i1dramgtul96l1qebf6a7tdmbad1vu@4ax.com...
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:32:00 -0700, "Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Okay.....thanks,
>
>Now that the driver has been downloaded, I need to know EXACTLY how to
>install it. If you can help me with that I'd really appreciate it.
>
>John Q
>

What I would do is also get a program called Driver Cleaner
PE. http://www.drivercleaner.net/
Go into Windows Control Panal, and remove the Nvidia Display Driver
from Uninstall. Once this is done, install, and run Driver Cleaner PE,
and have it clean the Nvidia driver, so you can make sure any leftover
Nvidia drivers are removed. Then reboot, and if Windows want you to
install drivers for the card, cancel. Then run the driver file you
downloaded, an it should install, and detect your card. Reboot, and it
should then work fine... Hopefully allowing you to set your display
the way you need it.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 8:59:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Oh, and going back to your original post, why do you feel you need to update
the drivers you already have? Is there a specific issue, or are you just
upgrading because you think you should?

Dan
September 8, 2005 8:59:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

One problem is that this card can't seem to handle the software for
adjusting my new Samsung LCD 730 Monitor. The tuning program either doesn't
open, or when it does, resets the colors and resolution to the lowest
settings, splattering the icons all over the desktop etc.
The TNT@ Model 64 is 5 years old and it seems to make sense to upgrade the
driver......if I can find the right one.

What do you think?

John Q



"Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3ob5e8F4p779U1@individual.net...
Oh, and going back to your original post, why do you feel you need to update
the drivers you already have? Is there a specific issue, or are you just
upgrading because you think you should?

Dan
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:43:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

'Marcus' wrote:
| Hi,
|
| When you say: "run the driver file you downloaded" I assume you mean that
| you double click it and then double click the exe file?
_____

At this point I think you should strongly consider keeping the drivers now
installed.

Phil Weldon


"Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p cGdnZ2dnZ2WVVXvnZ2dnYMfvd6dnZ2dRVn-zp2dnZ0@comcast.com...
> Hi,
>
> When you say: "run the driver file you downloaded" I assume you mean that
> you double click it and then double click the exe file?
>
> John Q
>
>
> "Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
> news:a1v0i1dramgtul96l1qebf6a7tdmbad1vu@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:32:00 -0700, "Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Okay.....thanks,
>>
>>Now that the driver has been downloaded, I need to know EXACTLY how to
>>install it. If you can help me with that I'd really appreciate it.
>>
>>John Q
>>
>
> What I would do is also get a program called Driver Cleaner
> PE. http://www.drivercleaner.net/
> Go into Windows Control Panal, and remove the Nvidia Display Driver
> from Uninstall. Once this is done, install, and run Driver Cleaner PE,
> and have it clean the Nvidia driver, so you can make sure any leftover
> Nvidia drivers are removed. Then reboot, and if Windows want you to
> install drivers for the card, cancel. Then run the driver file you
> downloaded, an it should install, and detect your card. Reboot, and it
> should then work fine... Hopefully allowing you to set your display
> the way you need it.
>
>
September 8, 2005 11:43:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS CRYPTIC AND DIFFICULT!!!

JOHN Q PUBLC



"Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
news:o v0Ue.8948$_84.5227@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
'Marcus' wrote:
| Hi,
|
| When you say: "run the driver file you downloaded" I assume you mean that
| you double click it and then double click the exe file?
_____

At this point I think you should strongly consider keeping the drivers now
installed.

Phil Weldon


"Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p cGdnZ2dnZ2WVVXvnZ2dnYMfvd6dnZ2dRVn-zp2dnZ0@comcast.com...
> Hi,
>
> When you say: "run the driver file you downloaded" I assume you mean that
> you double click it and then double click the exe file?
>
> John Q
>
>
> "Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
> news:a1v0i1dramgtul96l1qebf6a7tdmbad1vu@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:32:00 -0700, "Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Okay.....thanks,
>>
>>Now that the driver has been downloaded, I need to know EXACTLY how to
>>install it. If you can help me with that I'd really appreciate it.
>>
>>John Q
>>
>
> What I would do is also get a program called Driver Cleaner
> PE. http://www.drivercleaner.net/
> Go into Windows Control Panal, and remove the Nvidia Display Driver
> from Uninstall. Once this is done, install, and run Driver Cleaner PE,
> and have it clean the Nvidia driver, so you can make sure any leftover
> Nvidia drivers are removed. Then reboot, and if Windows want you to
> install drivers for the card, cancel. Then run the driver file you
> downloaded, an it should install, and detect your card. Reboot, and it
> should then work fine... Hopefully allowing you to set your display
> the way you need it.
>
>
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 4:18:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

'Marcos' wrote:
| IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS CRYPTIC AND DIFFICULT!!!
_____

But it ISN'T cryptic and difficult. It isn't necessary to change the
drivers that aren't giving you any problem. However, if you do decide, for
some reason, to change drivers, you have two choices; hope that the display
adapter manufacturer is still issuing new drivers or a five year old card OR
go to the nVidia website and follow the fairly simple steps necessary to
download and install the recommended drivers for your display adapter. What
exactly do you find 'cryptic and difficult' about this process, given that
there is no indication that the drivers NEED to be replaced. Consider your
decision to replace the driver as a type of elective customizing. If you
consider your computer system an appliance, then the change isn't necessary.
If you think of your computer system as something to customize, the a bit of
thought on your part is going to be necessary.

What would you suggest to make the process less 'cryptic and difficult'?

Phil Weldon

"Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:yZqdnZdf77SSAL3eRVn-tg@comcast.com...
> IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS CRYPTIC AND DIFFICULT!!!
>
> JOHN Q PUBLC
>
>
>
> "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
> news:o v0Ue.8948$_84.5227@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> 'Marcus' wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | When you say: "run the driver file you downloaded" I assume you mean
> that
> | you double click it and then double click the exe file?
> _____
>
> At this point I think you should strongly consider keeping the drivers now
> installed.
>
> Phil Weldon
>
>
> "Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:p cGdnZ2dnZ2WVVXvnZ2dnYMfvd6dnZ2dRVn-zp2dnZ0@comcast.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> When you say: "run the driver file you downloaded" I assume you mean that
>> you double click it and then double click the exe file?
>>
>> John Q
>>
>>
>> "Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
>> news:a1v0i1dramgtul96l1qebf6a7tdmbad1vu@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:32:00 -0700, "Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Okay.....thanks,
>>>
>>>Now that the driver has been downloaded, I need to know EXACTLY how to
>>>install it. If you can help me with that I'd really appreciate it.
>>>
>>>John Q
>>>
>>
>> What I would do is also get a program called Driver Cleaner
>> PE. http://www.drivercleaner.net/
>> Go into Windows Control Panal, and remove the Nvidia Display Driver
>> from Uninstall. Once this is done, install, and run Driver Cleaner PE,
>> and have it clean the Nvidia driver, so you can make sure any leftover
>> Nvidia drivers are removed. Then reboot, and if Windows want you to
>> install drivers for the card, cancel. Then run the driver file you
>> downloaded, an it should install, and detect your card. Reboot, and it
>> should then work fine... Hopefully allowing you to set your display
>> the way you need it.
>>
>>
>
>
>
September 9, 2005 4:18:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Okay......I'm not sure what is meant by "run the driver".......that would be
a great help.

John Q



"Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
news:Ax4Ue.9008$9i4.5007@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
'Marcos' wrote:
| IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS CRYPTIC AND DIFFICULT!!!
_____

But it ISN'T cryptic and difficult. It isn't necessary to change the
drivers that aren't giving you any problem. However, if you do decide, for
some reason, to change drivers, you have two choices; hope that the display
adapter manufacturer is still issuing new drivers or a five year old card OR
go to the nVidia website and follow the fairly simple steps necessary to
download and install the recommended drivers for your display adapter. What
exactly do you find 'cryptic and difficult' about this process, given that
there is no indication that the drivers NEED to be replaced. Consider your
decision to replace the driver as a type of elective customizing. If you
consider your computer system an appliance, then the change isn't necessary.
If you think of your computer system as something to customize, the a bit of
thought on your part is going to be necessary.

What would you suggest to make the process less 'cryptic and difficult'?

Phil Weldon

"Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:yZqdnZdf77SSAL3eRVn-tg@comcast.com...
> IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS CRYPTIC AND DIFFICULT!!!
>
> JOHN Q PUBLC
>
>
>
> "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
> news:o v0Ue.8948$_84.5227@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> 'Marcus' wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | When you say: "run the driver file you downloaded" I assume you mean
> that
> | you double click it and then double click the exe file?
> _____
>
> At this point I think you should strongly consider keeping the drivers now
> installed.
>
> Phil Weldon
>
>
> "Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:p cGdnZ2dnZ2WVVXvnZ2dnYMfvd6dnZ2dRVn-zp2dnZ0@comcast.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> When you say: "run the driver file you downloaded" I assume you mean that
>> you double click it and then double click the exe file?
>>
>> John Q
>>
>>
>> "Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
>> news:a1v0i1dramgtul96l1qebf6a7tdmbad1vu@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:32:00 -0700, "Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Okay.....thanks,
>>>
>>>Now that the driver has been downloaded, I need to know EXACTLY how to
>>>install it. If you can help me with that I'd really appreciate it.
>>>
>>>John Q
>>>
>>
>> What I would do is also get a program called Driver Cleaner
>> PE. http://www.drivercleaner.net/
>> Go into Windows Control Panal, and remove the Nvidia Display Driver
>> from Uninstall. Once this is done, install, and run Driver Cleaner PE,
>> and have it clean the Nvidia driver, so you can make sure any leftover
>> Nvidia drivers are removed. Then reboot, and if Windows want you to
>> install drivers for the card, cancel. Then run the driver file you
>> downloaded, an it should install, and detect your card. Reboot, and it
>> should then work fine... Hopefully allowing you to set your display
>> the way you need it.
>>
>>
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 5:47:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

'Marcus' wrote:
| Okay......I'm not sure what is meant by "run the driver".......that would
be
| a great help.
_____

If you had to guess what 'run the driver' means, what would that guess be?

Phil Weldon

"Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:Z8Cdna69fIAaQb3eRVn-jQ@comcast.com...
> Okay......I'm not sure what is meant by "run the driver".......that would
> be
> a great help.
>
> John Q
September 9, 2005 5:47:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Well.......I guess I would click on the exe or install icon.


"Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
news:iR5Ue.9123$_84.3554@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
'Marcus' wrote:
| Okay......I'm not sure what is meant by "run the driver".......that would
be
| a great help.
_____

If you had to guess what 'run the driver' means, what would that guess be?

Phil Weldon

"Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:Z8Cdna69fIAaQb3eRVn-jQ@comcast.com...
> Okay......I'm not sure what is meant by "run the driver".......that would
> be
> a great help.
>
> John Q
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 8:32:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

'Marcus' wrote:
| Well.......I guess I would click on the exe or install icon.
_____

Yep.
There are so many details and facts involved in machines as complex and
powerful as computers that knowing them all is impossible, and shouldn't
even be attempted (it's a colossal waste of time.) What you have to have is
a calm, logical approach. Even if exact and complete directions are
available, there are still communications problems because WRITING exact and
complete directions is a very difficult task; combining complete and
succinct - covering all the possibilities without losing the thread.

What you have is an 'open' system; dozens of motherboard maufacturers and
power supply makers,hundreds different CPU models, memory modules, and
display card models, half a dozen Microsoft Windows versions with dozens of
service packs for each.

So far the best way to avoid 'cryptic and difficult' is to
A. Reduce options ( don't allow driver changes, don't issue new drivers)

B. Make automatic driver updates part of the operating system (as in
Windows Update, though such driver updates are skewed toward stability
rather than performance)

C. Issue updates on a regular basis that all are activated in exactly the
same way (nVidia driver downloads, which more or less provide just one
driver package suitable for all cards for each operating system.

D. Buy a complete system from a reputable manufacturer and pay for
complete, long term technical support and on site repair (but then, if you
were willing to do that, you wouldn't be struggling with a five year old
display adapter card.

So, spend lots of money, or struggle with lots of choices. In either case,
you must make decisions.

Phil Weldon

"Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:wISdnZmYK6r8cb3eRVn-jQ@comcast.com...
> Well.......I guess I would click on the exe or install icon.
>
>
> "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
> news:iR5Ue.9123$_84.3554@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> 'Marcus' wrote:
> | Okay......I'm not sure what is meant by "run the driver".......that
> would
> be
> | a great help.
> _____
>
> If you had to guess what 'run the driver' means, what would that guess
> be?
>
> Phil Weldon
>
> "Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:Z8Cdna69fIAaQb3eRVn-jQ@comcast.com...
>> Okay......I'm not sure what is meant by "run the driver".......that would
>> be
>> a great help.
>>
>> John Q
>
>
>
September 9, 2005 8:32:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Thanks very much for your insights into this industry. Much Appreciated.

John Q



"Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
news:uf8Ue.9112$9i4.5612@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
'Marcus' wrote:
| Well.......I guess I would click on the exe or install icon.
_____

Yep.
There are so many details and facts involved in machines as complex and
powerful as computers that knowing them all is impossible, and shouldn't
even be attempted (it's a colossal waste of time.) What you have to have is
a calm, logical approach. Even if exact and complete directions are
available, there are still communications problems because WRITING exact and
complete directions is a very difficult task; combining complete and
succinct - covering all the possibilities without losing the thread.

What you have is an 'open' system; dozens of motherboard maufacturers and
power supply makers,hundreds different CPU models, memory modules, and
display card models, half a dozen Microsoft Windows versions with dozens of
service packs for each.

So far the best way to avoid 'cryptic and difficult' is to
A. Reduce options ( don't allow driver changes, don't issue new drivers)

B. Make automatic driver updates part of the operating system (as in
Windows Update, though such driver updates are skewed toward stability
rather than performance)

C. Issue updates on a regular basis that all are activated in exactly the
same way (nVidia driver downloads, which more or less provide just one
driver package suitable for all cards for each operating system.

D. Buy a complete system from a reputable manufacturer and pay for
complete, long term technical support and on site repair (but then, if you
were willing to do that, you wouldn't be struggling with a five year old
display adapter card.

So, spend lots of money, or struggle with lots of choices. In either case,
you must make decisions.

Phil Weldon

"Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:wISdnZmYK6r8cb3eRVn-jQ@comcast.com...
> Well.......I guess I would click on the exe or install icon.
>
>
> "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
> news:iR5Ue.9123$_84.3554@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> 'Marcus' wrote:
> | Okay......I'm not sure what is meant by "run the driver".......that
> would
> be
> | a great help.
> _____
>
> If you had to guess what 'run the driver' means, what would that guess
> be?
>
> Phil Weldon
>
> "Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:Z8Cdna69fIAaQb3eRVn-jQ@comcast.com...
>> Okay......I'm not sure what is meant by "run the driver".......that would
>> be
>> a great help.
>>
>> John Q
>
>
>
September 9, 2005 11:57:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Phil,

One more question: Once I remove the current driver, isn't the display going
to be all out of whack? I assume the steps you indicated will have to be
done in safe mode.....correct?

John Q


"Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
news:uf8Ue.9112$9i4.5612@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
'Marcus' wrote:
| Well.......I guess I would click on the exe or install icon.
_____

Yep.
There are so many details and facts involved in machines as complex and
powerful as computers that knowing them all is impossible, and shouldn't
even be attempted (it's a colossal waste of time.) What you have to have is
a calm, logical approach. Even if exact and complete directions are
available, there are still communications problems because WRITING exact and
complete directions is a very difficult task; combining complete and
succinct - covering all the possibilities without losing the thread.

What you have is an 'open' system; dozens of motherboard maufacturers and
power supply makers,hundreds different CPU models, memory modules, and
display card models, half a dozen Microsoft Windows versions with dozens of
service packs for each.

So far the best way to avoid 'cryptic and difficult' is to
A. Reduce options ( don't allow driver changes, don't issue new drivers)

B. Make automatic driver updates part of the operating system (as in
Windows Update, though such driver updates are skewed toward stability
rather than performance)

C. Issue updates on a regular basis that all are activated in exactly the
same way (nVidia driver downloads, which more or less provide just one
driver package suitable for all cards for each operating system.

D. Buy a complete system from a reputable manufacturer and pay for
complete, long term technical support and on site repair (but then, if you
were willing to do that, you wouldn't be struggling with a five year old
display adapter card.

So, spend lots of money, or struggle with lots of choices. In either case,
you must make decisions.

Phil Weldon

"Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:wISdnZmYK6r8cb3eRVn-jQ@comcast.com...
> Well.......I guess I would click on the exe or install icon.
>
>
> "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
> news:iR5Ue.9123$_84.3554@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> 'Marcus' wrote:
> | Okay......I'm not sure what is meant by "run the driver".......that
> would
> be
> | a great help.
> _____
>
> If you had to guess what 'run the driver' means, what would that guess
> be?
>
> Phil Weldon
>
> "Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:Z8Cdna69fIAaQb3eRVn-jQ@comcast.com...
>> Okay......I'm not sure what is meant by "run the driver".......that would
>> be
>> a great help.
>>
>> John Q
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 10:36:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

'Marcus' wrote:
| One more question: Once I remove the current driver, isn't the display
going
| to be all out of whack? I assume the steps you indicated will have to be
| done in safe mode.....correct?
_____

When you remove the current drivers, the card will operate in VGA mode; 640
X 480, 60 Hz, 16 color (that is standard default operation for all display
adapters.)

No, you don't have to use safe mode.

Phil Weldon

"Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p vOdnbJ0KPo-P7zeRVn-hg@comcast.com...
> Phil,
>
> One more question: Once I remove the current driver, isn't the display
> going
> to be all out of whack? I assume the steps you indicated will have to be
> done in safe mode.....correct?
>
> John Q
>
>
> "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
> news:uf8Ue.9112$9i4.5612@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> 'Marcus' wrote:
> | Well.......I guess I would click on the exe or install icon.
> _____
>
> Yep.
> There are so many details and facts involved in machines as complex and
> powerful as computers that knowing them all is impossible, and shouldn't
> even be attempted (it's a colossal waste of time.) What you have to have
> is
> a calm, logical approach. Even if exact and complete directions are
> available, there are still communications problems because WRITING exact
> and
> complete directions is a very difficult task; combining complete and
> succinct - covering all the possibilities without losing the thread.
>
> What you have is an 'open' system; dozens of motherboard maufacturers and
> power supply makers,hundreds different CPU models, memory modules, and
> display card models, half a dozen Microsoft Windows versions with dozens
> of
> service packs for each.
>
> So far the best way to avoid 'cryptic and difficult' is to
> A. Reduce options ( don't allow driver changes, don't issue new drivers)
>
> B. Make automatic driver updates part of the operating system (as in
> Windows Update, though such driver updates are skewed toward stability
> rather than performance)
>
> C. Issue updates on a regular basis that all are activated in exactly the
> same way (nVidia driver downloads, which more or less provide just one
> driver package suitable for all cards for each operating system.
>
> D. Buy a complete system from a reputable manufacturer and pay for
> complete, long term technical support and on site repair (but then, if you
> were willing to do that, you wouldn't be struggling with a five year old
> display adapter card.
>
> So, spend lots of money, or struggle with lots of choices. In either
> case,
> you must make decisions.
>
> Phil Weldon
>
> "Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:wISdnZmYK6r8cb3eRVn-jQ@comcast.com...
>> Well.......I guess I would click on the exe or install icon.
>>
>>
>> "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
>> news:iR5Ue.9123$_84.3554@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> 'Marcus' wrote:
>> | Okay......I'm not sure what is meant by "run the driver".......that
>> would
>> be
>> | a great help.
>> _____
>>
>> If you had to guess what 'run the driver' means, what would that guess
>> be?
>>
>> Phil Weldon
>>
>> "Marcus" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:Z8Cdna69fIAaQb3eRVn-jQ@comcast.com...
>>> Okay......I'm not sure what is meant by "run the driver".......that
>>> would
>>> be
>>> a great help.
>>>
>>> John Q
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
!