Bad AGP slot/MB or bad GeForce card?

I've been having a few issues with my system which are now well, worse.

It started with me getting freezes and BSOD's while playing 3D games.
errors with NV4_DISP and the infinite loop thing.

Then I started seeing it occassionally with just windows operation. Now
even during during system boot all the post messages are gibberish with
characters appearing here and there. That part got me over changing drivers
continually. I can't even get anything to run now because of the graphics
issues.

The machine had previously been working well. My power suppy is new and
adeequate for my system. memory is running okay too.

I don't have another AGP card to test at the moment but now wondering if I
need to just get a new MB.

Check and make sure the video card's heat sink is attached properly and that
the fan is spinning at a decent speed...

"David Miller" <scorpioatl@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've been having a few issues with my system which are now well, worse.
>
> It started with me getting freezes and BSOD's while playing 3D games.
> errors with NV4_DISP and the infinite loop thing.
>
> Then I started seeing it occassionally with just windows operation. Now
> even during during system boot all the post messages are gibberish with
> characters appearing here and there. That part got me over changing
> drivers continually. I can't even get anything to run now because of the
> graphics issues.
>
> The machine had previously been working well. My power suppy is new and
> adeequate for my system. memory is running okay too.
>
> I don't have another AGP card to test at the moment but now wondering if I
> need to just get a new MB.

BigJim

sounds like the card has gone bad
if your are getting little squares different colors
and asci code and the screen most likely the card.
"David Miller" <scorpioatl@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've been having a few issues with my system which are now well, worse.
>
> It started with me getting freezes and BSOD's while playing 3D games.
> errors with NV4_DISP and the infinite loop thing.
>
> Then I started seeing it occassionally with just windows operation. Now
> even during during system boot all the post messages are gibberish with
> characters appearing here and there. That part got me over changing
> drivers continually. I can't even get anything to run now because of the
> graphics issues.
>
> The machine had previously been working well. My power suppy is new and
> adeequate for my system. memory is running okay too.
>
> I don't have another AGP card to test at the moment but now wondering if I
> need to just get a new MB.

Charlie

Same symptoms here with my 60 day old 6600GT. Newegg is sending me a new
card.

--

Charlie

'David Miller' wrote, in part:
| I've been having a few issues with my system which are now well, worse.
_____

Some useful diagnostic information would be
CPU
motherboard
video card
temperatures (CPU, motherboard [system temperature], room ambient
power supply voltages
system power requirements vs power supply rated output
operating systems
what games (do they require a lot of processing (CPU and GPU) power

Of course, if you gather this information, you might be able to answer your
own question, rather than asking for guesses.

Phil Weldon

"David Miller" <scorpioatl@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've been having a few issues with my system which are now well, worse.
>
> It started with me getting freezes and BSOD's while playing 3D games.
> errors with NV4_DISP and the infinite loop thing.
>
> Then I started seeing it occassionally with just windows operation. Now
> even during during system boot all the post messages are gibberish with
> characters appearing here and there. That part got me over changing
> drivers continually. I can't even get anything to run now because of the
> graphics issues.
>
> The machine had previously been working well. My power suppy is new and
> adeequate for my system. memory is running okay too.
>
> I don't have another AGP card to test at the moment but now wondering if I
> need to just get a new MB.

Athlon XP 3000+
Biostar Nforce2 400
GeForce FX5700LE
System temps were in the normal range for my system, Also tried running with
the side open
400 watt PS
Windows XP Pro
1gb DDR SDRAM

The game I was having troubles with was World of Warcraft, but like I said,
the problems are now before I even get to windows before the system is even
under a full load. The bios screens are all just a full page of character
gibberish.

"Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
> 'David Miller' wrote, in part:
> | I've been having a few issues with my system which are now well, worse.
> _____
>
> Some useful diagnostic information would be
> CPU
> motherboard
> video card
> temperatures (CPU, motherboard [system temperature], room ambient
> power supply voltages
> system power requirements vs power supply rated output
> operating systems
> what games (do they require a lot of processing (CPU and GPU) power
>

> Of course, if you gather this information, you might be able to answer
> your own question, rather than asking for guesses.
>
> Phil Weldon
>
> "David Miller" <scorpioatl@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I've been having a few issues with my system which are now well, worse.
>>
>> It started with me getting freezes and BSOD's while playing 3D games.
>> errors with NV4_DISP and the infinite loop thing.
>>
>> Then I started seeing it occassionally with just windows operation. Now
>> even during during system boot all the post messages are gibberish with
>> characters appearing here and there. That part got me over changing
>> drivers continually. I can't even get anything to run now because of the
>> graphics issues.
>>
>> The machine had previously been working well. My power suppy is new and
>> adeequate for my system. memory is running okay too.
>>
>> I don't have another AGP card to test at the moment but now wondering if
>> I need to just get a new MB.

if the BIOS screen is bad then it most likely is the card, but could
also be the motherboard. try another card to confirm.