Bad AGP slot/MB or bad GeForce card?

I've been having a few issues with my system which are now well, worse.

It started with me getting freezes and BSOD's while playing 3D games.
errors with NV4_DISP and the infinite loop thing.

Then I started seeing it occassionally with just windows operation. Now
even during during system boot all the post messages are gibberish with
characters appearing here and there. That part got me over changing drivers
continually. I can't even get anything to run now because of the graphics
issues.

The machine had previously been working well. My power suppy is new and
adeequate for my system. memory is running okay too.

I don't have another AGP card to test at the moment but now wondering if I
need to just get a new MB.
6 answers Last reply
More about slot geforce card

    Check and make sure the video card's heat sink is attached properly and that
    the fan is spinning at a decent speed...

    "David Miller" <scorpioatl@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I've been having a few issues with my system which are now well, worse.
    >
    > It started with me getting freezes and BSOD's while playing 3D games.
    > errors with NV4_DISP and the infinite loop thing.
    >
    > Then I started seeing it occassionally with just windows operation. Now
    > even during during system boot all the post messages are gibberish with
    > characters appearing here and there. That part got me over changing
    > drivers continually. I can't even get anything to run now because of the
    > graphics issues.
    >
    > The machine had previously been working well. My power suppy is new and
    > adeequate for my system. memory is running okay too.
    >
    > I don't have another AGP card to test at the moment but now wondering if I
    > need to just get a new MB.

    sounds like the card has gone bad
    if your are getting little squares different colors
    and asci code and the screen most likely the card.
    "David Miller" <scorpioatl@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I've been having a few issues with my system which are now well, worse.
    >
    > It started with me getting freezes and BSOD's while playing 3D games.
    > errors with NV4_DISP and the infinite loop thing.
    >
    > Then I started seeing it occassionally with just windows operation. Now
    > even during during system boot all the post messages are gibberish with
    > characters appearing here and there. That part got me over changing
    > drivers continually. I can't even get anything to run now because of the
    > graphics issues.
    >
    > The machine had previously been working well. My power suppy is new and
    > adeequate for my system. memory is running okay too.
    >
    > I don't have another AGP card to test at the moment but now wondering if I
    > need to just get a new MB.

    Same symptoms here with my 60 day old 6600GT. Newegg is sending me a new
    card.

    --

    Charlie

    'David Miller' wrote, in part:
    | I've been having a few issues with my system which are now well, worse.
    _____

    Some useful diagnostic information would be
    CPU
    motherboard
    video card
    temperatures (CPU, motherboard [system temperature], room ambient
    power supply voltages
    system power requirements vs power supply rated output
    operating systems
    what games (do they require a lot of processing (CPU and GPU) power

    Of course, if you gather this information, you might be able to answer your
    own question, rather than asking for guesses.

    Phil Weldon

    "David Miller" <scorpioatl@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I've been having a few issues with my system which are now well, worse.
    >
    > It started with me getting freezes and BSOD's while playing 3D games.
    > errors with NV4_DISP and the infinite loop thing.
    >
    > Then I started seeing it occassionally with just windows operation. Now
    > even during during system boot all the post messages are gibberish with
    > characters appearing here and there. That part got me over changing
    > drivers continually. I can't even get anything to run now because of the
    > graphics issues.
    >
    > The machine had previously been working well. My power suppy is new and
    > adeequate for my system. memory is running okay too.
    >
    > I don't have another AGP card to test at the moment but now wondering if I
    > need to just get a new MB.

    Athlon XP 3000+
    Biostar Nforce2 400
    GeForce FX5700LE
    System temps were in the normal range for my system, Also tried running with
    the side open
    400 watt PS
    Windows XP Pro
    1gb DDR SDRAM

    The game I was having troubles with was World of Warcraft, but like I said,
    the problems are now before I even get to windows before the system is even
    under a full load. The bios screens are all just a full page of character
    gibberish.

    "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
    > 'David Miller' wrote, in part:
    > | I've been having a few issues with my system which are now well, worse.
    > _____
    >
    > Some useful diagnostic information would be
    > CPU
    > motherboard
    > video card
    > temperatures (CPU, motherboard [system temperature], room ambient
    > power supply voltages
    > system power requirements vs power supply rated output
    > operating systems
    > what games (do they require a lot of processing (CPU and GPU) power
    >

    > Of course, if you gather this information, you might be able to answer
    > your own question, rather than asking for guesses.
    >
    > Phil Weldon
    >
    > "David Miller" <scorpioatl@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> I've been having a few issues with my system which are now well, worse.
    >>
    >> It started with me getting freezes and BSOD's while playing 3D games.
    >> errors with NV4_DISP and the infinite loop thing.
    >>
    >> Then I started seeing it occassionally with just windows operation. Now
    >> even during during system boot all the post messages are gibberish with
    >> characters appearing here and there. That part got me over changing
    >> drivers continually. I can't even get anything to run now because of the
    >> graphics issues.
    >>
    >> The machine had previously been working well. My power suppy is new and
    >> adeequate for my system. memory is running okay too.
    >>
    >> I don't have another AGP card to test at the moment but now wondering if
    >> I need to just get a new MB.

    if the BIOS screen is bad then it most likely is the card, but could
    also be the motherboard. try another card to confirm.

Nvidia Graphics