Another *&@*ing display problem....

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

Sorry for the swearies in the title. I really have felt like throwing
my PC out of a window on several occasions this week!

This problem relactes to the windows 98se partition on my hard disk
(some software can be very fussy about it's running conditions...)

Yesterday, I had a directx-less installation, with the latest nvidia
drivers (77.72), all was fine, and I was running in 1280*1024
resolution. I have a geforce 6600 card, from PNY.

Yesterday I decided to install directx cersion 8.0 (one piece of
software never did want to run on 8.1...). So I did the usual switch to
PCI graphics, clean the nvidia drivers (used driver cleaner), ran
direct x radicator even though I didn't have dx on there...

The issue I had here was that shurdown didn't seem to work properly -
the display output turned off, so the monitor went into power saving
mode (as if the pc was actually off), but it went on to "play" the
windows startup again, I waited until the hard disk was not in action,
and rebooted using ctrl-alt-del...

After installing directx 8, and the nvidia drivers, I am unable to
select any resolution above 640*480 in 256 colors... 32 bit isn't
available on the control panel, and whataver else I select it always
reverts to 640*480... control panel reports the display adaptor as
"geforce 6600" and the drivers seem to be correctly installed

I tried reinstalling the monitor driver from the cd. no luck
I tried removing NVVIDIA drivers and direct x and reinstalling DX and
the nvidia drivers - no luck

Tonight I will see if it lets me go back to driectx-less, and see if I
can rule out the version of direct x - but are there any other ideas?

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

First of One wrote:
> For future reference, you don't need to reinstall video card drivers when
> updating DirectX.
>
> --

Hmmm - I've always been lead to believe its best to uninstall current
drivers and run a direct x removal tool...

DirectX isn't *meant* to be uninstalled, from what I remember.

When I had a Voodoo3, the drivers release notes always listed "Install
DirectX _" as the final step after installing the display drivers. I believe
nVidia and ATi also had something of such effect.

'Dan' wrote:
| Hmmm - I've always been lead to believe its best to uninstall current
| drivers and run a direct x removal tool...
_____

Perhaps for Windows before the registry, but not since.

Phil Weldon

First of One wrote:
> DirectX isn't *meant* to be uninstalled, from what I remember.

But if you've got software that won't run on a later version.....

> When I had a Voodoo3, the drivers release notes always listed "Install
> DirectX _" as the final step after installing the display drivers. I believe
> nVidia and ATi also had something of such effect.
>

>From a limited experience, DX first, frivers second seems to be best
for me (excluding the first problem mentioned there...)

> > DirectX isn't *meant* to be uninstalled, from what I remember.
>
> But if you've got software that won't run on a later version.....

Never seen this myself, though. Got myself a rig for old games, P166 (o/c'd
to 200) + Rage II, Win98SE, yet runs DX9.0c without problems. Even
Mercenaries, designed for DX2.0, works without a hitch in D3D.

The problem is MS never intended DirectX to be uinstalled, so during the
installation process, it makes irreversible changes to the system. Removing
DirectX with a third-party program can thus delete critical system files.

> From a limited experience, DX first, frivers second seems to be best
> for me (excluding the first problem mentioned there...)

My experience shows DX and video drivers can be installed/removed in any
order without affecting the other. Nice and simple. :)