eGeForce FX5200 128mb/64bit Bios

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=128-A8-N304-LX

So anyways, this thing isn't exactly what you could call top of line
material, but:

According to eVga, they throw out the warranty on flash bios updates, and do
not offer bios's on their site.

So I did a little exploring on my own, found an utility that lets you test a
bios before actually installing it, and found one from PNY that worked on
the card (I was attempting to overclock this card). On bootup - it
identifies fine, but instead of showing 128mb video memory, it only shows as
64mb (odd that it even works at all, but it does, flawlessly) - I haven't
had a massive performance hit with it, but I'd still like to know if it's
using all 128 mb of memory.

Now, this is a 64bit card, but my curiousity precedes me - is there a way to
make it a 128bit card simply through a bios update? If so, where can I go to
find one that would work?

Your input is appreciated, thanks.

Oh, one other question:

Radeon 7500 64mb or the card I mentioned in this post?

"WoWuSeR" <spamthis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=128-A8-N304-LX
>
> So anyways, this thing isn't exactly what you could call top of line
> material, but:
>
> According to eVga, they throw out the warranty on flash bios updates, and
> do not offer bios's on their site.
>
> So I did a little exploring on my own, found an utility that lets you test
> a bios before actually installing it, and found one from PNY that worked
> on the card (I was attempting to overclock this card). On bootup - it
> identifies fine, but instead of showing 128mb video memory, it only shows
> as 64mb (odd that it even works at all, but it does, flawlessly) - I
> haven't had a massive performance hit with it, but I'd still like to know
> if it's using all 128 mb of memory.
>
> Now, this is a 64bit card, but my curiousity precedes me - is there a way
> to make it a 128bit card simply through a bios update? If so, where can I
> go to find one that would work?
>
> Your input is appreciated, thanks.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"WoWuSeR" <spamthis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=128-A8-N304-LX
>
> So anyways, this thing isn't exactly what you could call top of line
> material, but:
> Now, this is a 64bit card, but my curiousity precedes me - is there a way
> to make it a 128bit card simply through a bios update? If so, where can I
> go to find one that would work?

No, you can't turn a 64bit card into a 128bit one by flashing the BIOS. If I
has to choose between a 64bit FX5200 and a 128bit 7500 Radeon the Radeon
would win. And be faster, even though it's an older design. The DX9 support
is immaterial on a 64bit FX5200.

WoWuSeR wrote:

> So I did a little exploring on my own, found an utility that lets you test a
> bios before actually installing it, and found one from PNY that worked on
> the card (I was attempting to overclock this card). On bootup - it
> identifies fine, but instead of showing 128mb video memory, it only shows as
> 64mb (odd that it even works at all, but it does, flawlessly) - I haven't
> had a massive performance hit with it, but I'd still like to know if it's
> using all 128 mb of memory.

Heh, I did that recently. Could've sworn that utility was trustworthy
(guess it was, sort of) and flashed my card with the PNY bios.
The card seemed to work fine but the 64MB showing instead of my
128MB was worrisome.
Various system info/diag utilities only showed 64MB.

I was able to reflash with my original bios, not easily, but everything
seems normal enough. The card's bios info no longer shows up at
boot though.
Card is MSI FX5200-TD128.

Marc

Too bad MSI only makes 128bit versions of their cards... I'd try out one of
their bios's.

Worst $60 I've spent I'm sure on the card ><

WoWuSeR wrote:
> Now, this is a 64bit card, but my curiousity precedes me - is there a way to
> make it a 128bit card simply through a bios update? If so, where can I go to
> find one that would work?

Unlikely.. the data lines and memory outputs for the other 64 bits are
presumably just not on the card.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada