Ti4200 not working with nVidia driver

I bought a GeForce4 Ti4200/64MB second-hand from an online auction last
year and my kids have been using it ever since. The model # is 8870
which I believe to be an MSI product. I'm selling the whole computer
and since the new owner, a novice with computers, wants a bigger HDD, I
have to install everything for him.

I've misplaced the driver CD supplied by the person I bought the card
from, so I installed the nVidia driver 56.72 that I had close at hand.
It works for non-demanding graphics such as Windows Explorer and word
processing, but crashes when loading games. It also fails to complete
DirectDraw in DirectX (8.1, 9, 9b). Same thing with driver v60.85.

Looking back, IIRC, I think I had the same problem when I first
received the card, and it worked properly ONLY if I first installed the
driver from the CD that came with it. That must have been a very old
version of Detonator, but upgrading to newer versions caused no
problem.

I finally managed to get things running after I found a Ghost file I
made earlier with everything already installed. But this solution is
not wholly satisfactory.

I thought all gfx cards based on nVidia GPUs were supposed to work with
their unified drivers. Am I wrong ? I'll be grateful for any help.

Have you tried MSI's newest drivers?

Remember, nVidia designs the GPU and the "reference board", which most
manufacturers nowadays simply copy. Because of this, the reference drivers
on nVidia's web site work fine on the *majority* of retail boards. However,
compatibility is never guaranteed since nVidia does not test its drivers
against all the brands.

<pjdd@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> I thought all gfx cards based on nVidia GPUs were supposed to work with
> their unified drivers. Am I wrong ? I'll be grateful for any help.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

You didn't have to reload everything just to move to a bigger hard drive.
You can use a program like ghost to copy everything to the bigger drive.
It's quite simple and only takes about 15 minutes to do.

DaveL

<pjdd@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
>I bought a GeForce4 Ti4200/64MB second-hand from an online auction last
> year and my kids have been using it ever since. The model # is 8870
> which I believe to be an MSI product. I'm selling the whole computer
> and since the new owner, a novice with computers, wants a bigger HDD, I
> have to install everything for him.
>
> I've misplaced the driver CD supplied by the person I bought the card
> from, so I installed the nVidia driver 56.72 that I had close at hand.
> It works for non-demanding graphics such as Windows Explorer and word
> processing, but crashes when loading games. It also fails to complete
> DirectDraw in DirectX (8.1, 9, 9b). Same thing with driver v60.85.
>
> Looking back, IIRC, I think I had the same problem when I first
> received the card, and it worked properly ONLY if I first installed the
> driver from the CD that came with it. That must have been a very old
> version of Detonator, but upgrading to newer versions caused no
> problem.
>
> I finally managed to get things running after I found a Ghost file I
> made earlier with everything already installed. But this solution is
> not wholly satisfactory.
>
> I thought all gfx cards based on nVidia GPUs were supposed to work with
> their unified drivers. Am I wrong ? I'll be grateful for any help.

don't forget the agp vgart driver for the motherboard

pjdd@rediffmail.com wrote:
> I bought a GeForce4 Ti4200/64MB second-hand from an online auction last
> year and my kids have been using it ever since. The model # is 8870
> which I believe to be an MSI product. I'm selling the whole computer
> and since the new owner, a novice with computers, wants a bigger HDD, I
> have to install everything for him.
>
> I've misplaced the driver CD supplied by the person I bought the card
> from, so I installed the nVidia driver 56.72 that I had close at hand.
> It works for non-demanding graphics such as Windows Explorer and word
> processing, but crashes when loading games. It also fails to complete
> DirectDraw in DirectX (8.1, 9, 9b). Same thing with driver v60.85.
>
> Looking back, IIRC, I think I had the same problem when I first
> received the card, and it worked properly ONLY if I first installed the
> driver from the CD that came with it. That must have been a very old
> version of Detonator, but upgrading to newer versions caused no
> problem.
>
> I finally managed to get things running after I found a Ghost file I
> made earlier with everything already installed. But this solution is
> not wholly satisfactory.
>
> I thought all gfx cards based on nVidia GPUs were supposed to work with
> their unified drivers. Am I wrong ? I'll be grateful for any help.

My reinstall procedure has always been like thus:

1. Operating system and service pack 2
2. All updates
3. Motherboard chipset driver <-- VERY IMPORTANT!!!!
4. DirectX 9.0c
5. Forceware driver (78.03 for example)

Note that your motherboard's chipset will also include a driver for the
AGP subsystem. Without it, accelerated games and applications will
crash or even bluescreen.

With NForce 2 boards, you need the 5.10 Unified drivers.
With VIA KT333 boards, you need the latest Hyperion driver set.
Etc, etc.

deimos wrote:
> pjdd@rediffmail.com wrote:
> > I bought a GeForce4 Ti4200/64MB second-hand from an online auction last
> > year and my kids have been using it ever since. The model # is 8870
> > which I believe to be an MSI product. I'm selling the whole computer
> > and since the new owner, a novice with computers, wants a bigger HDD, I
> > have to install everything for him.
> >
> > I've misplaced the driver CD supplied by the person I bought the card
> > from, so I installed the nVidia driver 56.72 that I had close at hand.
> > It works for non-demanding graphics such as Windows Explorer and word
> > processing, but crashes when loading games. It also fails to complete
> > DirectDraw in DirectX (8.1, 9, 9b). Same thing with driver v60.85.
> >
> > Looking back, IIRC, I think I had the same problem when I first
> > received the card, and it worked properly ONLY if I first installed the
> > driver from the CD that came with it. That must have been a very old
> > version of Detonator, but upgrading to newer versions caused no
> > problem.
> >
> > I finally managed to get things running after I found a Ghost file I
> > made earlier with everything already installed. But this solution is
> > not wholly satisfactory.
> >
> > I thought all gfx cards based on nVidia GPUs were supposed to work with
> > their unified drivers. Am I wrong ? I'll be grateful for any help.
> >

> My reinstall procedure has always been like thus:
>
> 1. Operating system and service pack 2
> 2. All updates
> 3. Motherboard chipset driver <-- VERY IMPORTANT!!!!
> 4. DirectX 9.0c
> 5. Forceware driver (78.03 for example)
>
> Note that your motherboard's chipset will also include a driver for the
> AGP subsystem. Without it, accelerated games and applications will
> crash or even bluescreen.
>
> With NForce 2 boards, you need the 5.10 Unified drivers.
> With VIA KT333 boards, you need the latest Hyperion driver set.
> Etc, etc.

My procedure was :

1. OS (WinXP) + SP1a
2. Mobo driver (MSI K8MM-ILSR) - chipset, audio, AGP, LAN, etc but not
the onboard VGA.
3/4. nVidia driver - tried 56.72 & 60.85
3/4. DirectX - tried 8.1, 9.0, 9.0b.

I made Ghosts after steps 1 & 2, so I repeated the installation with
steps 3 & 4 reversed. It always crashed when loading games.