Installing a ssd as boot drive with a 1 tb hard drive as storag

Greyeyed1

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Hello,
I need some help as this is first time doing this. I want to install a 60 GB SSD as boot device and for a few games and have a 1 TB 7200 HDD as storage device for larger data and programs.
What are the steps to take? Can you walk me through it? I installed Win 7 on SSD and then plugged in storage drive and system does not see it or recognize it?

Phalebus

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Windows may not see the 1TB HDD when its first plugged in, as you need to initialize the hard drive. If you click on your start menu, then right click on Computer. Now click on Manage. Click yes if UAC prompts you to. On the left hand side there is a icon that says Disk Management. Click on that. Your 1TB drive should be in there. Right click the 1TB HDD and the click initialize. It may require you to format it as well. Just perform a quick format.

Once you have done that, it should open up in a new window for you. Now your done! Any drama's, post back and I'll assist further

aphelion8105

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I hope I am not intruding by describing my problems in this thread. I have the same exact issue except that when I get to disk management and click on the 1tb samsung hard drive, I see no option for initialization. both the BIOS and Windows see the drive correctly as the samsung 1tb. However, I cannot see the storage in the Hard Disk Drives section. In this section it only contains my C drive (120gb intel SSD)

Thanks in advance, I am not too technical and this is making me nervous.