6600GT lockup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 12, 2005 3:23:30 AM

I purchased a 6600GT agp card about 4 days ago and it ran fine for
about 24 hours then it froze on me.

Rebooted and it went into the BIOS and told me the CPU speed wasnt
right on last bootup . it would then hang at the intial screen on
startup that displays the video info if it got past that it woould
freeze at the XP splash screen or at best a few seconds after
logading into windows. put in my old GF4MX golden sample and it booted
fine.

Mother board is an ASUS A7V8X by the way and the powersupply is a
Enermax 300watt delivering 15a on the 12V rail. Idon't have much else
connected and have been told that the PSU is fine for the card.

this morning before taking the 6600Gt into the shop to RMA it i
flashed the motherboards BIOS and tested it again... now its runing
ok. What i cant understand is if the BIOS was buggy why did the card
run ok for a while?

Any ideas ...looks like the card is ok now but has anyone had this
sort of problem?

More about : 6600gt lockup

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 8:14:51 PM

Hamish wrote:
> I purchased a 6600GT agp card about 4 days ago and it ran fine for
> about 24 hours then it froze on me.
>
> Rebooted and it went into the BIOS and told me the CPU speed wasnt
> right on last bootup . it would then hang at the intial screen on
> startup that displays the video info if it got past that it woould
> freeze at the XP splash screen or at best a few seconds after
> logading into windows. put in my old GF4MX golden sample and it booted
> fine.
>
> Mother board is an ASUS A7V8X by the way and the powersupply is a
> Enermax 300watt delivering 15a on the 12V rail. Idon't have much else
> connected and have been told that the PSU is fine for the card.
>
> this morning before taking the 6600Gt into the shop to RMA it i
> flashed the motherboards BIOS and tested it again... now its runing
> ok. What i cant understand is if the BIOS was buggy why did the card
> run ok for a while?
>
> Any ideas ...looks like the card is ok now but has anyone had this
> sort of problem?

Your video card likely had nothing to do with it. If your BIOS fails or
loses its settings, then it's a problem with the motherboard. It could
be a bad battery, or even worse, leaking capacitors. Take a look at
your caps and make sure the're not bulging out (even slightly) or
leaking brown goo. A failing GPU could not cause your FSB or multiplier
to report differently.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 4:22:02 AM

Reading your message I've left the biggest culprit showing.

The problem isn't necessarily the current on the 12v rail, which may be
fine. It's the fact that though your 300W Enermax PSU is a good one for
its capacity, it just doesn't have the juice.to supply the card and the
other bits in your box. The CPU alone will take a chunk, as will the
motherboard, then there's the Hard Disk, the CD or DVD drive, a floppy
disk and a fan or two... All adds up.

Another poster stated a quality 350W PSU is a minimum and I must agree.
Saw similar lockup and loss of BIOS info when a friend got a GF6600GT
shortly after me. Changed his PSU to an Enermax 450W (I have a Tagan
580W but have a lot of stuff in my tower case) and it was fine.

BIOS info can be lost if there is a shortage of required current to the
CPU when the Motherboard is reading the CPU speed, etc. as the
motherboard can then misread things.

Another one is check for bulging / leaking capacitors on the motherboard
(esp. the big ones near the CPU socket). If they are, it can be a sign
of them struggling and can possibly mean you need to replace the M/B,
the video card change could have put the M/B over the edge. Difficult to
tell without testing things.

Try borrowing a larger PSU from someone and give it a try. Hopefully
you've no permanent damage. If not, motherboard investigations begin.

HTH

Neil.

In message <4324ba69.84680015@news.waikato.ac.nz>, Hamish
<hamishh_@waikato.ac.nz> writes

--
Neil J Bundy
September 13, 2005 5:34:31 AM

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:22:02 +0100, Neil J Bundy
<nospam_bubbleman@neil-bundy.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Reading your message I've left the biggest culprit showing.
>
>The problem isn't necessarily the current on the 12v rail, which may be
>fine. It's the fact that though your 300W Enermax PSU is a good one for
>its capacity, it just doesn't have the juice.to supply the card and the
>other bits in your box. The CPU alone will take a chunk, as will the
>motherboard, then there's the Hard Disk, the CD or DVD drive, a floppy
>disk and a fan or two... All adds up.
Did the PSU calc on my system and at max load i need about 250W give
or take 10.
Forgot to mention that i was running a 400W generic PSU when this
happened and that was only delivering 10amps on the 12V so ripped it
out and replaced with the Enermax i had lying around.

>Another poster stated a quality 350W PSU is a minimum and I must agree.
>Saw similar lockup and loss of BIOS info when a friend got a GF6600GT
>shortly after me. Changed his PSU to an Enermax 450W (I have a Tagan
>580W but have a lot of stuff in my tower case) and it was fine.
I'll look at upgrading the PSU as soon as i can.. but for the time
being im running the card on its own line with nothing else
piggybacked to it.

<snip>

>Another one is check for bulging / leaking capacitors on the motherboard
>(esp. the big ones near the CPU socket). If they are, it can be a sign
>of them struggling and can possibly mean you need to replace the M/B,
>the video card change could have put the M/B over the edge. Difficult to
>tell without testing things.
<Snip>
Capacitors on the M/B look fine.. nothing shows up with them so im
hoping all is ok.
<snip>
>--
>Neil J Bundy
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 3:45:27 AM

In light of your checking the current you may be okay with the card on a
separate spur, unless you're doing pretty intensive 3D then it may get
close.

Good luck!

In message <43262b37.67838218@news.waikato.ac.nz>, Hamish

--
Neil J Bundy
Anonymous

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 23:45:27 +0100, Neil J Bundy
<nospam_bubbleman@neil-bundy.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In light of your checking the current you may be okay with the card on a
>separate spur, unless you're doing pretty intensive 3D then it may get
>close.
>
>Good luck!
<snip>--
>Neil J Bundy

Thanks ... been running fine since i posted previously so someone must
like me :)
!