6600GT lockup

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I purchased a 6600GT agp card about 4 days ago and it ran fine for
about 24 hours then it froze on me.

Rebooted and it went into the BIOS and told me the CPU speed wasnt
right on last bootup . it would then hang at the intial screen on
startup that displays the video info if it got past that it woould
freeze at the XP splash screen or at best a few seconds after
logading into windows. put in my old GF4MX golden sample and it booted
fine.

Mother board is an ASUS A7V8X by the way and the powersupply is a
Enermax 300watt delivering 15a on the 12V rail. Idon't have much else
connected and have been told that the PSU is fine for the card.

this morning before taking the 6600Gt into the shop to RMA it i
flashed the motherboards BIOS and tested it again... now its runing
ok. What i cant understand is if the BIOS was buggy why did the card
run ok for a while?

Any ideas ...looks like the card is ok now but has anyone had this
sort of problem?
5 answers Last reply
More about 6600gt lockup
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Hamish wrote:
    > I purchased a 6600GT agp card about 4 days ago and it ran fine for
    > about 24 hours then it froze on me.
    >
    > Rebooted and it went into the BIOS and told me the CPU speed wasnt
    > right on last bootup . it would then hang at the intial screen on
    > startup that displays the video info if it got past that it woould
    > freeze at the XP splash screen or at best a few seconds after
    > logading into windows. put in my old GF4MX golden sample and it booted
    > fine.
    >
    > Mother board is an ASUS A7V8X by the way and the powersupply is a
    > Enermax 300watt delivering 15a on the 12V rail. Idon't have much else
    > connected and have been told that the PSU is fine for the card.
    >
    > this morning before taking the 6600Gt into the shop to RMA it i
    > flashed the motherboards BIOS and tested it again... now its runing
    > ok. What i cant understand is if the BIOS was buggy why did the card
    > run ok for a while?
    >
    > Any ideas ...looks like the card is ok now but has anyone had this
    > sort of problem?
    >

    Your video card likely had nothing to do with it. If your BIOS fails or
    loses its settings, then it's a problem with the motherboard. It could
    be a bad battery, or even worse, leaking capacitors. Take a look at
    your caps and make sure the're not bulging out (even slightly) or
    leaking brown goo. A failing GPU could not cause your FSB or multiplier
    to report differently.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Reading your message I've left the biggest culprit showing.

    The problem isn't necessarily the current on the 12v rail, which may be
    fine. It's the fact that though your 300W Enermax PSU is a good one for
    its capacity, it just doesn't have the juice.to supply the card and the
    other bits in your box. The CPU alone will take a chunk, as will the
    motherboard, then there's the Hard Disk, the CD or DVD drive, a floppy
    disk and a fan or two... All adds up.

    Another poster stated a quality 350W PSU is a minimum and I must agree.
    Saw similar lockup and loss of BIOS info when a friend got a GF6600GT
    shortly after me. Changed his PSU to an Enermax 450W (I have a Tagan
    580W but have a lot of stuff in my tower case) and it was fine.

    BIOS info can be lost if there is a shortage of required current to the
    CPU when the Motherboard is reading the CPU speed, etc. as the
    motherboard can then misread things.

    Another one is check for bulging / leaking capacitors on the motherboard
    (esp. the big ones near the CPU socket). If they are, it can be a sign
    of them struggling and can possibly mean you need to replace the M/B,
    the video card change could have put the M/B over the edge. Difficult to
    tell without testing things.

    Try borrowing a larger PSU from someone and give it a try. Hopefully
    you've no permanent damage. If not, motherboard investigations begin.

    HTH

    Neil.

    In message <4324ba69.84680015@news.waikato.ac.nz>, Hamish
    <hamishh_@waikato.ac.nz> writes
    >Mother board is an ASUS A7V8X by the way and the powersupply is a
    >Enermax 300watt delivering 15a on the 12V rail. Idon't have much else
    >connected and have been told that the PSU is fine for the card.

    --
    Neil J Bundy
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:22:02 +0100, Neil J Bundy
    <nospam_bubbleman@neil-bundy.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >Reading your message I've left the biggest culprit showing.
    >
    >The problem isn't necessarily the current on the 12v rail, which may be
    >fine. It's the fact that though your 300W Enermax PSU is a good one for
    >its capacity, it just doesn't have the juice.to supply the card and the
    >other bits in your box. The CPU alone will take a chunk, as will the
    >motherboard, then there's the Hard Disk, the CD or DVD drive, a floppy
    >disk and a fan or two... All adds up.
    Did the PSU calc on my system and at max load i need about 250W give
    or take 10.
    Forgot to mention that i was running a 400W generic PSU when this
    happened and that was only delivering 10amps on the 12V so ripped it
    out and replaced with the Enermax i had lying around.
    >
    >Another poster stated a quality 350W PSU is a minimum and I must agree.
    >Saw similar lockup and loss of BIOS info when a friend got a GF6600GT
    >shortly after me. Changed his PSU to an Enermax 450W (I have a Tagan
    >580W but have a lot of stuff in my tower case) and it was fine.
    I'll look at upgrading the PSU as soon as i can.. but for the time
    being im running the card on its own line with nothing else
    piggybacked to it.
    >
    <snip>
    >
    >Another one is check for bulging / leaking capacitors on the motherboard
    >(esp. the big ones near the CPU socket). If they are, it can be a sign
    >of them struggling and can possibly mean you need to replace the M/B,
    >the video card change could have put the M/B over the edge. Difficult to
    >tell without testing things.
    <Snip>
    Capacitors on the M/B look fine.. nothing shows up with them so im
    hoping all is ok.
    <snip>
    >--
    >Neil J Bundy
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    In light of your checking the current you may be okay with the card on a
    separate spur, unless you're doing pretty intensive 3D then it may get
    close.

    Good luck!

    In message <43262b37.67838218@news.waikato.ac.nz>, Hamish
    <hamishh_@waikato.ac.nz> writes
    >On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:22:02 +0100, Neil J Bundy
    ><nospam_bubbleman@neil-bundy.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Reading your message I've left the biggest culprit showing.
    >>
    >>The problem isn't necessarily the current on the 12v rail, which may be
    >>fine. It's the fact that though your 300W Enermax PSU is a good one for
    >>its capacity, it just doesn't have the juice.to supply the card and the
    >>other bits in your box. The CPU alone will take a chunk, as will the
    >>motherboard, then there's the Hard Disk, the CD or DVD drive, a floppy
    >>disk and a fan or two... All adds up.
    >Did the PSU calc on my system and at max load i need about 250W give
    >or take 10.
    >Forgot to mention that i was running a 400W generic PSU when this
    >happened and that was only delivering 10amps on the 12V so ripped it
    >out and replaced with the Enermax i had lying around.
    >>
    >>Another poster stated a quality 350W PSU is a minimum and I must agree.
    >>Saw similar lockup and loss of BIOS info when a friend got a GF6600GT
    >>shortly after me. Changed his PSU to an Enermax 450W (I have a Tagan
    >>580W but have a lot of stuff in my tower case) and it was fine.
    >I'll look at upgrading the PSU as soon as i can.. but for the time
    >being im running the card on its own line with nothing else
    >piggybacked to it.
    >>
    ><snip>
    >>
    >>Another one is check for bulging / leaking capacitors on the motherboard
    >>(esp. the big ones near the CPU socket). If they are, it can be a sign
    >>of them struggling and can possibly mean you need to replace the M/B,
    >>the video card change could have put the M/B over the edge. Difficult to
    >>tell without testing things.
    ><Snip>
    >Capacitors on the M/B look fine.. nothing shows up with them so im
    >hoping all is ok.
    ><snip>
    >>--
    >>Neil J Bundy
    >

    --
    Neil J Bundy
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 23:45:27 +0100, Neil J Bundy
    <nospam_bubbleman@neil-bundy.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >In light of your checking the current you may be okay with the card on a
    >separate spur, unless you're doing pretty intensive 3D then it may get
    >close.
    >
    >Good luck!
    <snip>--
    >Neil J Bundy

    Thanks ... been running fine since i posted previously so someone must
    like me :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Graphics