New Geforce fx5200 AGP card...switches monitor off!

Hi, I'm hoping someone has the answer out there....
I've just bought the above card and put this into my kids PC to replace the
onboard graphics for simple games like HP. Here's what I've done so far -
deleted the ProSavage 3 DDR onboard graphics driver, changed the BIOS
setting to use the new AGP so there's no memory allocated. Installed the new
card & drivers. System boots up but when Windows ME gets to the second
window ready to the my monitor (an oldish CRT but with good picture)
switches into standby? As far as I can tell the system is loading up etc, as
it closes down and reboots OK. I can't get into windows safe mode either. A
bit long winded but and it should be compatible with my Asrock K7VM2 Athlon
motherboard - help please...

Thanks

Adrian
7 answers Last reply
More about geforce fx5200 card switches monitor

    It's probably Windows ME. Terrible driver support with that version.
    Is there any way you can go back to using the onboard card and install
    the 5200 as well? You might try installing the drivers first and then

    Adrian Kelly wrote:

    >Hi, I'm hoping someone has the answer out there....
    >I've just bought the above card and put this into my kids PC to replace the
    >onboard graphics for simple games like HP. Here's what I've done so far -
    >deleted the ProSavage 3 DDR onboard graphics driver, changed the BIOS
    >setting to use the new AGP so there's no memory allocated. Installed the new
    >card & drivers. System boots up but when Windows ME gets to the second
    >window ready to the my monitor (an oldish CRT but with good picture)
    >switches into standby? As far as I can tell the system is loading up etc, as
    >it closes down and reboots OK. I can't get into windows safe mode either. A
    >bit long winded but and it should be compatible with my Asrock K7VM2 Athlon
    >motherboard - help please...
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Adrian

    Download Here
    Nvidia says two ways to install drivers
    http://www.soft30.com/index-3-1.htm

    Adrian Kelly wrote:
    > Hi, I'm hoping someone has the answer out there....
    > I've just bought the above card and put this into my kids PC to replace the
    > onboard graphics for simple games like HP. Here's what I've done so far -
    > deleted the ProSavage 3 DDR onboard graphics driver, changed the BIOS
    > setting to use the new AGP so there's no memory allocated. Installed the new
    > card & drivers. System boots up but when Windows ME gets to the second
    > window ready to the my monitor (an oldish CRT but with good picture)
    > switches into standby? As far as I can tell the system is loading up etc, as
    > it closes down and reboots OK. I can't get into windows safe mode either. A
    > bit long winded but and it should be compatible with my Asrock K7VM2 Athlon
    > motherboard - help please...

    Are you sure the display is not still going to the onboard video output?
    Sometimes you can't disable those controllers in the BIOS, you just
    have to disable it in Windows..

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

    I think it is picking up the new card because I get the boot up display and
    the 'Windows' splash screen, but then the monitor goes into standby. How
    would I safely remove the controllers but leave myself a display I can go
    back to?

    Thanks

    "Robert Hancock" <hancockr@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Adrian Kelly wrote:
    > > Hi, I'm hoping someone has the answer out there....
    > > I've just bought the above card and put this into my kids PC to replace
    the
    > > onboard graphics for simple games like HP. Here's what I've done so
    far -
    > > deleted the ProSavage 3 DDR onboard graphics driver, changed the BIOS
    > > setting to use the new AGP so there's no memory allocated. Installed the
    new
    > > card & drivers. System boots up but when Windows ME gets to the second
    > > window ready to the my monitor (an oldish CRT but with good picture)
    > > switches into standby? As far as I can tell the system is loading up
    etc, as
    > > it closes down and reboots OK. I can't get into windows safe mode
    either. A
    > > bit long winded but and it should be compatible with my Asrock K7VM2
    Athlon
    > > motherboard - help please...
    >
    > Are you sure the display is not still going to the onboard video output?
    > Sometimes you can't disable those controllers in the BIOS, you just
    > have to disable it in Windows..
    >
    > --
    > Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    > To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@nospamshaw.ca
    > Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/

    While it's running with the old video enabled, I have switched over to the
    new graphics card and the display does the same a goes into standby.

    Thanks all for your suggestions, if you think there's something I've missed
    let me know as I'm also waiting for a reply from the supplier website (if I
    ever get a reply from them). Other than I might try and exchange it.

    Regards

    "Brandon Dieterich" <brandon_dieterich@unc.edu> wrote in message
    > It's probably Windows ME. Terrible driver support with that version.
    > Is there any way you can go back to using the onboard card and install
    > the 5200 as well? You might try installing the drivers first and then
    >
    > Adrian Kelly wrote:
    >
    > >Hi, I'm hoping someone has the answer out there....
    > >I've just bought the above card and put this into my kids PC to replace
    the
    > >onboard graphics for simple games like HP. Here's what I've done so far -
    > >deleted the ProSavage 3 DDR onboard graphics driver, changed the BIOS
    > >setting to use the new AGP so there's no memory allocated. Installed the
    new
    > >card & drivers. System boots up but when Windows ME gets to the second
    > >window ready to the my monitor (an oldish CRT but with good picture)
    > >switches into standby? As far as I can tell the system is loading up etc,
    as
    > >it closes down and reboots OK. I can't get into windows safe mode either.
    > >bit long winded but and it should be compatible with my Asrock K7VM2
    Athlon
    > >motherboard - help please...
    > >
    > >Thanks
    > >
    > >Adrian

    I had a problem like this on an older Dell that I was replacing the onboard
    video. I found that the video signal switched back to onboard graphics
    during the boot up sequence. I had to move the vga cable back to the
    onboard port to see the rest of the boot up. I had changed the bios setting
    but I still had the problem. If I remember correctly, I had to "disable"
    the onboard graphics in the device manager to stop this mid-boot switching
    of the video signal.

    Adrian Kelly wrote:
    > I think it is picking up the new card because I get the boot up display and
    > the 'Windows' splash screen, but then the monitor goes into standby. How
    > would I safely remove the controllers but leave myself a display I can go
    > back to?

    It may be putting the display on the onboard controller once it gets
    into Windows. Try hooking the monitor up to the onboard port and see if
    you get a display then. If so, then disable the onboard controller in
    Windows and try booting up again, and see if you get a display on the card.

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Nvidia Graphics