GxForce 5200 fan noise problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2005 10:16:25 PM

I have GxForce 5200 and the fan is making lots of noise.Card works
great but the fan is the problem.

Is it possible to replace the fan within this card?If so what would
people recommend.Or should I just get another video card?

TIA
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2005 6:42:57 AM

mistersmitty@hotmail.com wrote:

> I have GxForce 5200 and the fan is making lots of noise.Card works
> great but the fan is the problem.
>
> Is it possible to replace the fan within this card?If so what would
> people recommend.Or should I just get another video card?
>
> TIA

If the fan is noisier than when first installed, then you can try oiling
the bearings. However, if the fan has always made the same amount of
noise, that's what you can expect from fans with small blades and high
speed.

If you slow down the fan with a speed controller, you risk overheating.
If you replace the fan assembly with an after market unit, it will
probably be just as loud. If you want to experiment, you could try what
I did with a Ti-4200 card. I removed the fan assembly and strapped a box
fan to the card. The fan is powered from a motherboard connector. The
result is a completely silent video card with greater air flow over the
heatsink.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2005 3:00:39 AM

I placed a Zalman heatsink on my FX5200 and it's been working silently for
18 months. The only drawback was that it does block the first PCI slot next
to the AGP slot.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=114&co...

"Robert Gault" <robert.gault@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> mistersmitty@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> I have GxForce 5200 and the fan is making lots of noise.Card works
>> great but the fan is the problem.
>>
>> Is it possible to replace the fan within this card?If so what would
>> people recommend.Or should I just get another video card?
>>
>> TIA
>
> If the fan is noisier than when first installed, then you can try oiling
> the bearings. However, if the fan has always made the same amount of
> noise, that's what you can expect from fans with small blades and high
> speed.
>
> If you slow down the fan with a speed controller, you risk overheating. If
> you replace the fan assembly with an after market unit, it will probably
> be just as loud. If you want to experiment, you could try what I did with
> a Ti-4200 card. I removed the fan assembly and strapped a box fan to the
> card. The fan is powered from a motherboard connector. The result is a
> completely silent video card with greater air flow over the heatsink.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2005 3:19:21 AM

If you have decent case airflow, it may be worthwhile to try unplugging the
5200's fan and see if the card will throttle itself. The GPU is built on a
130-nm process after all, and has the lowest heat dissipation in the FX5xxx
family.

!