GxForce 5200 fan noise problem

I have GxForce 5200 and the fan is making lots of noise.Card works
great but the fan is the problem.

Is it possible to replace the fan within this card?If so what would
people recommend.Or should I just get another video card?

TIA
3 answers Last reply
More about gxforce 5200 noise problem

    mistersmitty@hotmail.com wrote:

    > I have GxForce 5200 and the fan is making lots of noise.Card works
    > great but the fan is the problem.
    >
    > Is it possible to replace the fan within this card?If so what would
    > people recommend.Or should I just get another video card?
    >
    > TIA

    If the fan is noisier than when first installed, then you can try oiling
    the bearings. However, if the fan has always made the same amount of
    noise, that's what you can expect from fans with small blades and high
    speed.

    If you slow down the fan with a speed controller, you risk overheating.
    If you replace the fan assembly with an after market unit, it will
    probably be just as loud. If you want to experiment, you could try what
    I did with a Ti-4200 card. I removed the fan assembly and strapped a box
    fan to the card. The fan is powered from a motherboard connector. The
    result is a completely silent video card with greater air flow over the
    heatsink.

    I placed a Zalman heatsink on my FX5200 and it's been working silently for
    18 months. The only drawback was that it does block the first PCI slot next
    to the AGP slot.

    http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=114&code=013

    "Robert Gault" <robert.gault@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > mistersmitty@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I have GxForce 5200 and the fan is making lots of noise.Card works
    >> great but the fan is the problem.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to replace the fan within this card?If so what would
    >> people recommend.Or should I just get another video card?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >
    > If the fan is noisier than when first installed, then you can try oiling
    > the bearings. However, if the fan has always made the same amount of
    > noise, that's what you can expect from fans with small blades and high
    > speed.
    >
    > If you slow down the fan with a speed controller, you risk overheating. If
    > you replace the fan assembly with an after market unit, it will probably
    > be just as loud. If you want to experiment, you could try what I did with
    > a Ti-4200 card. I removed the fan assembly and strapped a box fan to the
    > card. The fan is powered from a motherboard connector. The result is a
    > completely silent video card with greater air flow over the heatsink.

    If you have decent case airflow, it may be worthwhile to try unplugging the
    5200's fan and see if the card will throttle itself. The GPU is built on a
    130-nm process after all, and has the lowest heat dissipation in the FX5xxx
    family.

    <mistersmitty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have GxForce 5200 and the fan is making lots of noise.Card works
    > great but the fan is the problem.
    >
    > Is it possible to replace the fan within this card?If so what would
    > people recommend.Or should I just get another video card?
    >
    > TIA

Nvidia Graphics Cards Fan Graphics