7800 GTX video problem

Hi,

I've recently bought a new machine - specs:

4800 Athlon X2
MSI Geforce 7800GTX
Asus A8N-SLI Premium MB
1Gb Corsair Value Select PC3200 RAM
Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 HD
2 x LG GSA-4163 DVD writers.

Win XP/SP2 with all updates

Everything appears to be working fine except that every so often, the
video either freezes or changes to an extremely low resolution (way
lower than 640x480), with many of the windows overlapping each other and
then freezes. There is nothing that can be done after this freeze
except a hard reset.

There are no error messages.

This seems to happen mostly when I have a java program open (Azureus)
and Media Player (v10). However, it seems to be linked to Java as I
have had it happen without MP open.

I have tried about 3 different versions of the nvidia driver, including
the latest (as of yesterday).

Has anybody else experienced this problem and more importantly, does
anybody have a cure?

Many thanks in advance,

Dave

Which version of Java did you install? Is it Microsoft's (msjavx86) or
Sun's?

Turn off FSAA and aniso in the nVidia control panels. On ATi cards this
seems to help against Java programs like Limewire.

If nothing works, use BitTornado. :)

David Oxlade wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently bought a new machine - specs:
>
> 4800 Athlon X2
> MSI Geforce 7800GTX
> Asus A8N-SLI Premium MB
> 1Gb Corsair Value Select PC3200 RAM
> Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 HD
> 2 x LG GSA-4163 DVD writers.
>
> Win XP/SP2 with all updates
>
> Everything appears to be working fine except that every so often, the
> video either freezes or changes to an extremely low resolution (way
> lower than 640x480), with many of the windows overlapping each other and
> then freezes. There is nothing that can be done after this freeze
> except a hard reset.
>
> There are no error messages.
>
> This seems to happen mostly when I have a java program open (Azureus)
> and Media Player (v10). However, it seems to be linked to Java as I
> have had it happen without MP open.
>
> I have tried about 3 different versions of the nvidia driver, including
> the latest (as of yesterday).
>
> Has anybody else experienced this problem and more importantly, does
> anybody have a cure?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Dave

I'm sorry for replying to my own message but, just in case it's
important (or, more likely, not the cause), the PSU is a Tagan 530W
unit. I've got a Zalman Copper CPU cooler (one of the enourmous ones)
but the cooler on the graphics card is standard. I can see that all of
the fans (CPU, graphics and two case) are rotating so they are running...

Dave

First of One wrote:
> Which version of Java did you install? Is it Microsoft's (msjavx86) or
> Sun's?
>
> Turn off FSAA and aniso in the nVidia control panels. On ATi cards this
> seems to help against Java programs like Limewire.
>
> If nothing works, use BitTornado. :)

Thanks for the reply.

It's the Sun environment.

I'll turn off the FSAA and AF and give it a go... It was driving me nuts!

I'll let you know...

Dave

David Oxlade wrote:
> First of One wrote:
>
>> Which version of Java did you install? Is it Microsoft's (msjavx86) or
>> Sun's?
>>
>> Turn off FSAA and aniso in the nVidia control panels. On ATi cards
>> this seems to help against Java programs like Limewire.
>>
>> If nothing works, use BitTornado. :)
>>

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> It's the Sun environment.
>
> I'll turn off the FSAA and AF and give it a go... It was driving me nuts!
>
> I'll let you know...
>
> Dave
Are you running the latest version of ASUS SmartDoc. I was, on a
different machine but had similar problems. After removing SmartDoc the
problems have not happened again.
Cheers

Gorby wrote:
> David Oxlade wrote:
>
>> First of One wrote:
>>
>>> Which version of Java did you install? Is it Microsoft's (msjavx86)
>>> or Sun's?
>>>
>>> Turn off FSAA and aniso in the nVidia control panels. On ATi cards
>>> this seems to help against Java programs like Limewire.
>>>
>>> If nothing works, use BitTornado. :)
>>>

>> Thanks for the reply.
>>
>> It's the Sun environment.
>>
>> I'll turn off the FSAA and AF and give it a go... It was driving me
>> nuts!
>>
>> I'll let you know...
>>
>> Dave
>
> Are you running the latest version of ASUS SmartDoc. I was, on a
> different machine but had similar problems. After removing SmartDoc the
> problems have not happened again.
> Cheers

Thanks for the reply.

I'm can't find anything of that name on my system (either in Task
Manager - Processes tab or searching for smartdoc using google desktop).

Dave

David Oxlade wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently bought a new machine - specs:
>
> 4800 Athlon X2
> MSI Geforce 7800GTX
> Asus A8N-SLI Premium MB
> 1Gb Corsair Value Select PC3200 RAM
> Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 HD
> 2 x LG GSA-4163 DVD writers.
>
> Win XP/SP2 with all updates
>
> Everything appears to be working fine except that every so often, the
> video either freezes or changes to an extremely low resolution (way
> lower than 640x480), with many of the windows overlapping each other and
> then freezes. There is nothing that can be done after this freeze
> except a hard reset.
>
> There are no error messages.
>
> This seems to happen mostly when I have a java program open (Azureus)
> and Media Player (v10). However, it seems to be linked to Java as I
> have had it happen without MP open.
>
> I have tried about 3 different versions of the nvidia driver, including
> the latest (as of yesterday).
>
> Has anybody else experienced this problem and more importantly, does
> anybody have a cure?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Dave

I get that exact same problem but have never seen anyone else comment on
it. Annoying, isn't it? The machince doesn't totally freeze and you
can alt-tab but the resolution is so low that it's hard to minimize or
close any windows, so I usually just reboot. This used to happen to me
all the time when I had java programs running but then I turned off AA
in the nvidia control panel and haven't seen it since. Other people in
this thread mentioned some ASUS app, but I have a Foxconn MB on this
machine, and an ASUS MB in another machine and have seen this problem on
both machines so I would tend to think that the ASUS app does not
contribute to this problem in any way. I've talked to some java
developers at Sun that say that they are aware of this problem but can't
replicate it. I can't see how that's true since to "replicate" it, you
just run a java app with AA turned on and it will happen (or at least
the fuzzy text will appear EVERY time, if not the entire resolution
problem). Just from talking to them I get the impression that they will
not fix this problem since it sounds like they aren't even working on a
fix. Have you noticed the problem since turning off AA?

non.sequitur wrote:
> David Oxlade wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've recently bought a new machine - specs:
>>
>> 4800 Athlon X2
>> MSI Geforce 7800GTX
>> Asus A8N-SLI Premium MB
>> 1Gb Corsair Value Select PC3200 RAM
>> Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 HD
>> 2 x LG GSA-4163 DVD writers.
>>
>> Win XP/SP2 with all updates
>>
>> Everything appears to be working fine except that every so often, the
>> video either freezes or changes to an extremely low resolution (way
>> lower than 640x480), with many of the windows overlapping each other
>> and then freezes. There is nothing that can be done after this freeze
>> except a hard reset.
>>
>> There are no error messages.
>>
>> This seems to happen mostly when I have a java program open (Azureus)
>> and Media Player (v10). However, it seems to be linked to Java as I
>> have had it happen without MP open.
>>
>> I have tried about 3 different versions of the nvidia driver,
>> including the latest (as of yesterday).
>>
>> Has anybody else experienced this problem and more importantly, does
>> anybody have a cure?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>>
>> Dave
>

> I get that exact same problem but have never seen anyone else comment on
> it. Annoying, isn't it? The machince doesn't totally freeze and you
> can alt-tab but the resolution is so low that it's hard to minimize or
> close any windows, so I usually just reboot. This used to happen to me
> all the time when I had java programs running but then I turned off AA
> in the nvidia control panel and haven't seen it since. Other people in
> this thread mentioned some ASUS app, but I have a Foxconn MB on this
> machine, and an ASUS MB in another machine and have seen this problem on
> both machines so I would tend to think that the ASUS app does not
> contribute to this problem in any way. I've talked to some java
> developers at Sun that say that they are aware of this problem but can't
> replicate it. I can't see how that's true since to "replicate" it, you
> just run a java app with AA turned on and it will happen (or at least
> the fuzzy text will appear EVERY time, if not the entire resolution
> problem). Just from talking to them I get the impression that they will
> not fix this problem since it sounds like they aren't even working on a
> fix. Have you noticed the problem since turning off AA?

I haven't actually noticed it since turning off AA... It seems that
this is the problem...

Then it seems ATi isn't alone in this oversight...

Since the Java VM is no longer bundled with Windows, maybe it's omitted from
any kind of compatibility testing.

David Oxlade wrote:
> Gorby wrote:
>
>> David Oxlade wrote:

>>> Thanks for the reply.
>>>
>>> It's the Sun environment.
>>>
>>> I'll turn off the FSAA and AF and give it a go... It was driving me
>>> nuts!
>>>
>>> I'll let you know...
>>>
>>> Dave
>>

>> Are you running the latest version of ASUS SmartDoc. I was, on a
>> different machine but had similar problems. After removing SmartDoc
>> the problems have not happened again.
>> Cheers
>

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I'm can't find anything of that name on my system (either in Task
> Manager - Processes tab or searching for smartdoc using google desktop).
>
> Dave
That's good. SmartDoc is an ASUS Utility that monitors, and assists in
overclocking, Nvidia cards. See
http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments.aspx?no=728&SLanguage=en-us

Do you have any video monitoring software running? Something that might
be "protecting" the card from overheating.

Just a thought.

non.sequitur wrote:
> David Oxlade wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've recently bought a new machine - specs:
>>
>> 4800 Athlon X2
>> MSI Geforce 7800GTX
>> Asus A8N-SLI Premium MB
>> 1Gb Corsair Value Select PC3200 RAM
>> Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 HD
>> 2 x LG GSA-4163 DVD writers.
>>
>> Win XP/SP2 with all updates
>>
>> Everything appears to be working fine except that every so often, the
>> video either freezes or changes to an extremely low resolution (way
>> lower than 640x480), with many of the windows overlapping each other
>> and then freezes. There is nothing that can be done after this freeze
>> except a hard reset.
>>
>> There are no error messages.
>>
>> This seems to happen mostly when I have a java program open (Azureus)
>> and Media Player (v10). However, it seems to be linked to Java as I
>> have had it happen without MP open.
>>
>> I have tried about 3 different versions of the nvidia driver,
>> including the latest (as of yesterday).
>>
>> Has anybody else experienced this problem and more importantly, does
>> anybody have a cure?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>>
>> Dave
>

> I get that exact same problem but have never seen anyone else comment on
> it. Annoying, isn't it? The machince doesn't totally freeze and you
> can alt-tab but the resolution is so low that it's hard to minimize or
> close any windows, so I usually just reboot. This used to happen to me
> all the time when I had java programs running but then I turned off AA
> in the nvidia control panel and haven't seen it since. Other people in
> this thread mentioned some ASUS app, but I have a Foxconn MB on this
> machine, and an ASUS MB in another machine and have seen this problem on
> both machines so I would tend to think that the ASUS app does not
> contribute to this problem in any way. I've talked to some java
> developers at Sun that say that they are aware of this problem but can't
> replicate it. I can't see how that's true since to "replicate" it, you
> just run a java app with AA turned on and it will happen (or at least
> the fuzzy text will appear EVERY time, if not the entire resolution
> problem). Just from talking to them I get the impression that they will
> not fix this problem since it sounds like they aren't even working on a
> fix. Have you noticed the problem since turning off AA?
Is your card the 7800? I had my problem (seemed exactly as you
explained) on a Ti4200 with 128 meg of RAM. I did a bad thing by
changing a lot of things at once, so I can't easily isolate what caused
the problem.
I upgraded my CPU from a P4 2.5 Gig (non Hyper Threading) to a P4 3.06 G
Gig Hyper Thread. At the same time I upgraded the Nvidia drivers (to
77.77) and also Asus Smart Doctor (Video card monitoring and
manipulation tool). I then got the Low resolution problem happening
intermittently. After turning Smart Doc off, the problem seemed to go
away. I have not noticed it happening whilst Java apps are running,
although I don't knowingly run a lot of Java apps.
So it's still a mystery!
Cheers

> Is your card the 7800? I had my problem (seemed exactly as you
> explained) on a Ti4200 with 128 meg of RAM. I did a bad thing by
> changing a lot of things at once, so I can't easily isolate what caused
> the problem.

I have a few different machines and have seen this problem on the
ti4200, ti4600, 6600gt, and the 7800.

> I upgraded my CPU from a P4 2.5 Gig (non Hyper Threading) to a P4 3.06 G
> Gig Hyper Thread. At the same time I upgraded the Nvidia drivers (to
> 77.77) and also Asus Smart Doctor (Video card monitoring and
> manipulation tool). I then got the Low resolution problem happening
> intermittently. After turning Smart Doc off, the problem seemed to go
> away. I have not noticed it happening whilst Java apps are running,
> although I don't knowingly run a lot of Java apps.
> So it's still a mystery!
> Cheers

The only time I've EVER seen it happen I was also running a java APP
that was using AA. I've noticed this mostly on JBuilder and java apps
that I've written myself. I've never used Azeurus so I can't comment on
that. Not even really sure what that program is for. I have at least 3
machines that have never run Smart Doc and I've seen the problem on all
of them so I doubt that is the problem. This has also happened with
serveral versions of Nvidia's drivers. All the machines I have do use
Nvidia cards so haven't personally seen this issue with ATI hardware or
drivers. The one common theme I notice is the java apps and the AA
settings though.

Azeurus is a BitTorrent client. Yes, the problem also inflicts ATi cards
with AA enabled. A few users in the ATi newsgroup reported issues with
LimeWire, another P2P application.

First of One wrote:
> Azeurus is a BitTorrent client. Yes, the problem also inflicts ATi cards
> with AA enabled. A few users in the ATi newsgroup reported issues with
> LimeWire, another P2P application.

Ah ha! I was using Limewire when it happened. However I have still been
using Limewire since I turned off Smart Doctor, and have NOT had the
problem!!!???

It sounds like one of three possibilities:
Overheating video card
Overheating CPU
Underpowered PSU not able to supply enough current for your system.

--
DaveW
__________

"David Oxlade" <Nowhere@nothere.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've recently bought a new machine - specs:
>
> 4800 Athlon X2
> MSI Geforce 7800GTX
> Asus A8N-SLI Premium MB
> 1Gb Corsair Value Select PC3200 RAM
> Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 HD
> 2 x LG GSA-4163 DVD writers.
>
> Win XP/SP2 with all updates
>
> Everything appears to be working fine except that every so often, the
> video either freezes or changes to an extremely low resolution (way lower
> than 640x480), with many of the windows overlapping each other and then
> freezes. There is nothing that can be done after this freeze except a
> hard reset.
>
> There are no error messages.
>
> This seems to happen mostly when I have a java program open (Azureus) and
> Media Player (v10). However, it seems to be linked to Java as I have had
> it happen without MP open.
>
> I have tried about 3 different versions of the nvidia driver, including
> the latest (as of yesterday).
>
> Has anybody else experienced this problem and more importantly, does
> anybody have a cure?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Dave

Lo and behold ATi actually fixed this problem in its latest Catalyst 5.9
drivers, released yesterday. Wonder when nVidia will do it.

"Setting Anti-Aliasing to 4x in the Catalyst Control Center no longer
results in a blank window or an error message being displayed when launching
Java plug in"