little confused over 4x 16x pci express slots

hi

easy question, a new machine of mine has a 4x pci express slot in, so
do i need to buy a 4x pci-express card, or does a 16x one with a longer
connector fits does it just work out it's only a 4x and work as normal?

none of the cards i'm looking at (6600gt) seem to tell you if they are
for 4x 8x etc. or doesn't it matter

thanks!

Chris
5 answers Last reply
More about little confused express slots

    I believe the 16X slot replaces your agp slot for the video cards. The 4X
    slots are the upgrade of the pci slots. None are backward compatible
    "Chris S" <chris.sedgbeer@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > hi
    >
    > easy question, a new machine of mine has a 4x pci express slot in, so
    > do i need to buy a 4x pci-express card, or does a 16x one with a longer
    > connector fits does it just work out it's only a 4x and work as normal?
    >
    > none of the cards i'm looking at (6600gt) seem to tell you if they are
    > for 4x 8x etc. or doesn't it matter
    >
    > thanks!
    >
    > Chris

    All the PCIe cards on the market need a x16 slot to work.

    Frankly I've never seen a retail motherboard with only x4 slots and no x16
    slot. Are you sure your motherboard does not have an x16 slot on it (should
    be 3-4 inches long)?

    "Chris S" <chris.sedgbeer@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > hi
    >
    > easy question, a new machine of mine has a 4x pci express slot in, so
    > do i need to buy a 4x pci-express card, or does a 16x one with a longer
    > connector fits does it just work out it's only a 4x and work as normal?
    >
    > none of the cards i'm looking at (6600gt) seem to tell you if they are
    > for 4x 8x etc. or doesn't it matter
    >
    > thanks!
    >
    > Chris

    Hello, First!
    You wrote on Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:37:40 -0400:

    FoO> Frankly I've never seen a retail motherboard with only x4 slots and no
    FoO> x16 slot. Are you sure your motherboard does not have an x16 slot on
    FoO> it (should be 3-4 inches long)?

    nah, it only has the 4x slot, altho the machine is really designed to be a
    server which makes sence, i should have thought of that before asking!

    All current PCI-Express higher end video cards like the 6600 GT are 16 x
    PCI-E.

    --
    DaveW
    __________

    "Chris S" <chris.sedgbeer@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > hi
    >
    > easy question, a new machine of mine has a 4x pci express slot in, so
    > do i need to buy a 4x pci-express card, or does a 16x one with a longer
    > connector fits does it just work out it's only a 4x and work as normal?
    >
    > none of the cards i'm looking at (6600gt) seem to tell you if they are
    > for 4x 8x etc. or doesn't it matter
    >
    > thanks!
    >
    > Chris

    In that case you are out of options. If the M/B has ordinary PCI slots, you
    can get away with a low-end Radeon 9250 or maybe 9550, which is still better
    than the integrated graphics.

    "Chris S" <fred@fred.com> wrote in message
    > nah, it only has the 4x slot, altho the machine is really designed to be a
    > server which makes sence, i should have thought of that before asking!

Nvidia PCI Express Graphics