little confused over 4x 16x pci express slots

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 13, 2005 8:01:22 AM

hi

easy question, a new machine of mine has a 4x pci express slot in, so
do i need to buy a 4x pci-express card, or does a 16x one with a longer
connector fits does it just work out it's only a 4x and work as normal?

none of the cards i'm looking at (6600gt) seem to tell you if they are
for 4x 8x etc. or doesn't it matter

thanks!

Chris

More about : confused 16x pci express slots

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 11:24:50 AM

I believe the 16X slot replaces your agp slot for the video cards. The 4X
slots are the upgrade of the pci slots. None are backward compatible
"Chris S" <chris.sedgbeer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi
>
> easy question, a new machine of mine has a 4x pci express slot in, so
> do i need to buy a 4x pci-express card, or does a 16x one with a longer
> connector fits does it just work out it's only a 4x and work as normal?
>
> none of the cards i'm looking at (6600gt) seem to tell you if they are
> for 4x 8x etc. or doesn't it matter
>
> thanks!
>
> Chris

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 11:37:40 PM

All the PCIe cards on the market need a x16 slot to work.

Frankly I've never seen a retail motherboard with only x4 slots and no x16
slot. Are you sure your motherboard does not have an x16 slot on it (should
be 3-4 inches long)?

"Chris S" <chris.sedgbeer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi
>
> easy question, a new machine of mine has a 4x pci express slot in, so
> do i need to buy a 4x pci-express card, or does a 16x one with a longer
> connector fits does it just work out it's only a 4x and work as normal?
>
> none of the cards i'm looking at (6600gt) seem to tell you if they are
> for 4x 8x etc. or doesn't it matter
>
> thanks!
>
> Chris

September 14, 2005 4:35:27 PM

Hello, First!
You wrote on Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:37:40 -0400:

FoO> Frankly I've never seen a retail motherboard with only x4 slots and no
FoO> x16 slot. Are you sure your motherboard does not have an x16 slot on
FoO> it (should be 3-4 inches long)?

nah, it only has the 4x slot, altho the machine is really designed to be a
server which makes sence, i should have thought of that before asking!
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 8:06:55 PM

All current PCI-Express higher end video cards like the 6600 GT are 16 x
PCI-E.

--
DaveW
__________

"Chris S" <chris.sedgbeer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi
>
> easy question, a new machine of mine has a 4x pci express slot in, so
> do i need to buy a 4x pci-express card, or does a 16x one with a longer
> connector fits does it just work out it's only a 4x and work as normal?
>
> none of the cards i'm looking at (6600gt) seem to tell you if they are
> for 4x 8x etc. or doesn't it matter
>
> thanks!
>
> Chris

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 11:32:37 PM

In that case you are out of options. If the M/B has ordinary PCI slots, you
can get away with a low-end Radeon 9250 or maybe 9550, which is still better
than the integrated graphics.

!