D-Link DWL-G650 won't automattically connect on reboot

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 26, 2004 2:43:27 AM

I have a laptop with XP Home (all SPs and updates), and I'm using D-Link
DWL-G650 to connect to a D-Link DI-620 802.11g wireless access point.

Everything works well, except for one small but irritating thing. It won't
connect automatically whenever I reboot XP or restart from a Hibernate
shutdown. According to the XP and the D-Link utility, it is connected with
an "excellent", yet nothing communicates. No internet, no access to other
lan resources, etc.

It WILL connect if I 1) come out of an XP Standby shutdown (a low power
condition, but not off), 2) Press the Connect button in the Dlink utility,
or 3) pop the DWL-G650 from the laptop and reinsert. Any of these actions
will cause it to disconnect, reconnect, and everything works.

However, a full shutdown and restart, or coming out of XP Hibernate mode
does not.

Both the DWL-G650 and DI-620 have the latest firmware/drivers from the
D-Link web site.

Anyone else see this?

Thanks for any and all feedback,
Bruce.
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 10:16:03 PM

Hey Bruce,

I'm using the same card you mentioned (DLink DWL-G650, Ver B). There are a
few things you might want to check seeing as I faced the same problems
initially and ended up calling DLink Support. First, is your laptop set to
where Windows XP manages your Wireless Connections or have you set it up to
where the DLink software controls the card (IP Assignment, Servers, WEP,
etc.)? The problem might be that both programs are trying to control the
card leading to the problems you described. I've found that if you disable
Windows control of the card (By going to Network Connections and removing
the check mark for "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings"
under "Wireless Networks", and then, double click the little icon that
appears in the system tray (which may say that a Wireless Connection wasn't
available), now you should see the DLink software configuration utility.

Let me know if this helps.

Manoj Nayak
Network Administrator - Billingsley Ford, Oklahoma USA.

"Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I have a laptop with XP Home (all SPs and updates), and I'm using D-Link
> DWL-G650 to connect to a D-Link DI-620 802.11g wireless access point.
>
> Everything works well, except for one small but irritating thing. It
won't
> connect automatically whenever I reboot XP or restart from a Hibernate
> shutdown. According to the XP and the D-Link utility, it is connected
with
> an "excellent", yet nothing communicates. No internet, no access to other
> lan resources, etc.
>
> It WILL connect if I 1) come out of an XP Standby shutdown (a low power
> condition, but not off), 2) Press the Connect button in the Dlink utility,
> or 3) pop the DWL-G650 from the laptop and reinsert. Any of these actions
> will cause it to disconnect, reconnect, and everything works.
>
> However, a full shutdown and restart, or coming out of XP Hibernate mode
> does not.
>
> Both the DWL-G650 and DI-620 have the latest firmware/drivers from the
> D-Link web site.
>
> Anyone else see this?
>
> Thanks for any and all feedback,
> Bruce.

Anonymous
April 29, 2004 5:11:03 AM

I have experienced the same problem with this card. I was previously using an Intel PRO Wireless card and it always reconnected. I have experienced the problem with the Windows config and the D Link utility. I ended up taking the card out and trying again with the Intel PRO Wireless. The problem was resolved. I rebooted around 10-15 times and it always reconnected. Then the next morning the Intel card had the same connection issues. I rebooted the router and everything connected but this is not something I want to do every morning! I would be interested to know if the problem was resolved with this fix for the first posting or whether you have found an alternative solution.

DI 624 router (Europe)
DWL G520 card in one PC (Can post config if required). Ver A. (Europe)
Dell Inspiron 500M with DWL G650 Ver B. (Europe) (and the Intel Pro Wireless). XP Pro.

----- Manoj Nayak wrote: -----

Hey Bruce,

I'm using the same card you mentioned (DLink DWL-G650, Ver B). There are a
few things you might want to check seeing as I faced the same problems
initially and ended up calling DLink Support. First, is your laptop set to
where Windows XP manages your Wireless Connections or have you set it up to
where the DLink software controls the card (IP Assignment, Servers, WEP,
etc.)? The problem might be that both programs are trying to control the
card leading to the problems you described. I've found that if you disable
Windows control of the card (By going to Network Connections and removing
the check mark for "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings"
under "Wireless Networks", and then, double click the little icon that
appears in the system tray (which may say that a Wireless Connection wasn't
available), now you should see the DLink software configuration utility.

Let me know if this helps.

Manoj Nayak
Network Administrator - Billingsley Ford, Oklahoma USA.

"Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I have a laptop with XP Home (all SPs and updates), and I'm using D-Link
> DWL-G650 to connect to a D-Link DI-620 802.11g wireless access point.
>> Everything works well, except for one small but irritating thing. It
won't
> connect automatically whenever I reboot XP or restart from a Hibernate
> shutdown. According to the XP and the D-Link utility, it is connected
with
> an "excellent", yet nothing communicates. No internet, no access to other
> lan resources, etc.
>> It WILL connect if I 1) come out of an XP Standby shutdown (a low power
> condition, but not off), 2) Press the Connect button in the Dlink utility,
> or 3) pop the DWL-G650 from the laptop and reinsert. Any of these actions
> will cause it to disconnect, reconnect, and everything works.
>> However, a full shutdown and restart, or coming out of XP Hibernate mode
> does not.
>> Both the DWL-G650 and DI-620 have the latest firmware/drivers from the
> D-Link web site.
>> Anyone else see this?
>> Thanks for any and all feedback,
> Bruce.

April 29, 2004 4:26:07 PM

I am having similar problems with a D-Link G650 adaptor and Windows XP Home on a Dell laptop, trying to reach a D-Link 624 802.11g router. I have tried with two different G650 adaptors (ver b and ver c) and their corresponding drivers (latest from the DLink website). Also have latest Microsoft SPs and updates installed.

With ver b adaptor, the DLink utility crashes when I try to set up 128-bit WEP encryption. I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Also tried Manoj's suggestion to turn off Microsoft control of the card (and stop MS wireless zero configuration) but then nothing happens. The DLink adaptor utility (ver b) also crashes on a Windows 2000 Toshiba when we have tried to configure for encryption.

With ver c adaptor, the DLink utility runs and sees my network (100% signal!) but can't connect. It will connect to a non-encryped network. The ver c adaptor did work on a Windows 2000 Toshiba previously and successfully connected to our encrypted network.

The only way I have succeeded getting a network connection on my Dell laptop (with either card) is to let Microsoft do the configuration itself (i.e. abandon the DLink utility). The limitation of this is that the Microsoft configuration doesn't seem to accept a 128-bit key ... so I can't get into my encrypted network, however, it does the job when I'm connecting to a non-encrypted network. And of course I don't get the SuperG speeds between the DLink elements.

Does anyone have more leads -- possibly related to 128-bit encryption in Windows XP Home?

Thanks!
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 9:43:03 AM

Hi,

128-bit encryption works fine on windows XP.

Are you typing the 26 digit HEX key and is IEEE unchecked.

Deborah S wrote:

> I am having similar problems with a D-Link G650 adaptor and Windows XP Home on a Dell laptop, trying to reach a D-Link 624 802.11g router. I have tried with two different G650 adaptors (ver b and ver c) and their corresponding drivers (latest from the DLink website). Also have latest Microsoft SPs and updates installed.
>
> With ver b adaptor, the DLink utility crashes when I try to set up 128-bit WEP encryption. I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Also tried Manoj's suggestion to turn off Microsoft control of the card (and stop MS wireless zero configuration) but then nothing happens. The DLink adaptor utility (ver b) also crashes on a Windows 2000 Toshiba when we have tried to configure for encryption.
>
> With ver c adaptor, the DLink utility runs and sees my network (100% signal!) but can't connect. It will connect to a non-encryped network. The ver c adaptor did work on a Windows 2000 Toshiba previously and successfully connected to our encrypted network.
>
> The only way I have succeeded getting a network connection on my Dell laptop (with either card) is to let Microsoft do the configuration itself (i.e. abandon the DLink utility). The limitation of this is that the Microsoft configuration doesn't seem to accept a 128-bit key ... so I can't get into my encrypted network, however, it does the job when I'm connecting to a non-encrypted network. And of course I don't get the SuperG speeds between the DLink elements.
>
> Does anyone have more leads -- possibly related to 128-bit encryption in Windows XP Home?
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 11:08:20 PM

check your services in the conrtrol panel what ever srvice is started and
the startup is set to manual set it up to automatic that should help you
connecting at boot time. This is the only thing that works

!