Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

6800 128MB or 6600GT 256MB?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:15:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hi,

I have an AMD XP 2600+ with 1gb of ram. I am definitely going to get a
new video card and it's a toss up between the 6800 128mb and a 6600GT
256mb.

Which card will give me better performance?

Thanks
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 4:17:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On 14 Sep 2005 20:15:33 -0700, rod_gordon2003@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have an AMD XP 2600+ with 1gb of ram. I am definitely going to get a
>new video card and it's a toss up between the 6800 128mb and a 6600GT
>256mb.
>
>Which card will give me better performance?
>
>Thanks


From game benchmarks I've seen, the 6800 standard is a better
performer over the 6600GT I'm guessing because of it's extra 4 pipes,
but it seems it's not much over a 6600GT. In some games there was only
a few extra FPS. Not sure if the extra 128MB of memory on the 6600GT
would make a difference.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:14:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
news:fpvhi15chd3ektcek58ikim84scr64shv8@4ax.com...
> On 14 Sep 2005 20:15:33 -0700, rod_gordon2003@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have an AMD XP 2600+ with 1gb of ram. I am definitely going to get a
>>new video card and it's a toss up between the 6800 128mb and a 6600GT
>>256mb.
>>
>>Which card will give me better performance?
>>
>>Thanks
>
>
> From game benchmarks I've seen, the 6800 standard is a better
> performer over the 6600GT I'm guessing because of it's extra 4 pipes,
> but it seems it's not much over a 6600GT. In some games there was only
> a few extra FPS. Not sure if the extra 128MB of memory on the 6600GT
> would make a difference.

I doubt the lower amount of memory would make a difference. Not one
substantial enough to justify going with the slower card. So long as it's a
standard 6800 vanilla, and not a 6800LE or something, the 6800 is a better
choice, IMO.

RF.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 9:56:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On 9/15/2005 6:14 AM RaceFace brightened our day with:

>"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
>news:fpvhi15chd3ektcek58ikim84scr64shv8@4ax.com...
>
>
>>On 14 Sep 2005 20:15:33 -0700, rod_gordon2003@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I have an AMD XP 2600+ with 1gb of ram. I am definitely going to get a
>>>new video card and it's a toss up between the 6800 128mb and a 6600GT
>>>256mb.
>>>
>>>Which card will give me better performance?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>
>>From game benchmarks I've seen, the 6800 standard is a better
>>performer over the 6600GT I'm guessing because of it's extra 4 pipes,
>>but it seems it's not much over a 6600GT. In some games there was only
>>a few extra FPS. Not sure if the extra 128MB of memory on the 6600GT
>>would make a difference.
>>
>>
>
>I doubt the lower amount of memory would make a difference. Not one
>substantial enough to justify going with the slower card. So long as it's a
>standard 6800 vanilla, and not a 6800LE or something, the 6800 is a better
>choice, IMO.
>
>RF.
>
>
>
>
I don't know what the situation still is but my vanilla 6800, thanks to
RivaTuner, has 16 pipelines working.
If you can get that action going then you're definitely ahead of a 6600GT.

--
Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said that about Galileo."
Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
November 14, 2005 8:42:41 AM

Interesting discussion. But what about the 6800 XT/LE version? I'm about to buy me one of these cards but I haven't decided which of them will perform better at 1024x768 w/ FSAA. As I don't care for resolutions higher than this, naturally I will go by the benchmark-results for that category only.

I can get a 6800XT for almost the same price as the 6600GT and the LE version for about 20£ less. All cards come equipped with 128 MB of DDR memory except for the 6600GT (which has GDDR3).

So the question is whether I should go for faster/newer memory -or- bigger bandwith and more pipelines?
:wink:
!