Really dumb power question for 6800gt

I just got a evga 6800 gt...i upgraded from a ati 9800 pro....now my
9800 had a power connector right on the card, just plug in power and
go...but the 6800gt had a little adapter thinggy that has 2 power
connectors...do i need to plug in 2 power connectors or just one or
does it not matter? Also i was told not to use any spliters for
powering the card, is this true.

Steve
11 answers Last reply
More about really dumb power question 6800gt

    Actually its not a splitter.....the connection that feeds into the card
    is unlike any i have seen and both end of the connector are
    male......hmmmm
    Steve

    "steve1ddd" <steve1ddd@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I just got a evga 6800 gt...i upgraded from a ati 9800 pro....now my
    > 9800 had a power connector right on the card, just plug in power and
    > go...but the 6800gt had a little adapter thinggy that has 2 power
    > connectors...do i need to plug in 2 power connectors or just one or
    > does it not matter? Also i was told not to use any spliters for
    > powering the card, is this true.
    >
    > Steve

    Steve,

    The splitter is for grabbing power if you do not have a "free" power plug
    that will reach the card. For example, you pull power from the CDROM and
    plug the splitter to the power plug. Now you have two power plugs, one for
    the CDROM and one for the video card. Another use would be to extend a cable
    that is too short to reach.

    Make sure you have a good power supply (At least 400Watts) or you may run
    into issues.

    Good luck, sweet card!

    -Gary

    In article <1126886084.563347.120180@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    steve1ddd@aol.com says...
    > I just got a evga 6800 gt...i upgraded from a ati 9800 pro....now my
    > 9800 had a power connector right on the card, just plug in power and
    > go...but the 6800gt had a little adapter thinggy that has 2 power
    > connectors...do i need to plug in 2 power connectors or just one or
    > does it not matter? Also i was told not to use any spliters for
    > powering the card, is this true.
    >
    > Steve

    What did your instruction manual tell you to do?

    Bill

    GDawg is correct....you should only have one power connector on your 6800gt
    (I've got the OC version, and it has one).
    If you have an open plug from your power supply, use it and don't bother
    with the Y adapter. If you don't have an unused plug, the manual suggest
    using a connector off a hard drive. Like so:

    video card hard drive
    x x
    x x
    x x
    connect to power
    supply side

    Good Luck,
    Fitz

    are you sure it's a GT. every review I read said the Ultra had two power
    inputs but the GT only had one. it could be a mistake or a rather rare
    card, check the manufacturers website to check it out.
    you could be lucky and have an Ultra (lots of people say with a little
    overclocking you'd have an ultra anyway) or at worst a very fine card
    anyway.
    what happens when you plug the card in, for mine kicks up a very loud
    squealing noise if I have forgotten the PSU connector.

    In article <11in5ln5hrg7j26@corp.supernews.com>, akfitz@mtaonline.net
    says...
    > GDawg is correct....you should only have one power connector on your 6800gt
    > (I've got the OC version, and it has one).
    > If you have an open plug from your power supply, use it and don't bother
    > with the Y adapter. If you don't have an unused plug, the manual suggest
    > using a connector off a hard drive. Like so:
    >
    > video card hard drive
    > x x
    > x x
    > x x
    > connect to power
    > supply side
    >
    > Good Luck,
    > Fitz

    Actually It looks like it goes:

    pwr supply pwr supply
    x x
    x x
    x x
    black connecter--------x
    video card

    from the pictures I can find.

    http://www.directron.com/6pinpcie.html

    I haven't actually physically seen a card. Don't the 6800GTs soak up a
    lot of power?

    Bill

    "Bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
    > In article <11in5ln5hrg7j26@corp.supernews.com>, akfitz@mtaonline.net
    > says...
    >> GDawg is correct....you should only have one power connector on your
    >> 6800gt
    >> (I've got the OC version, and it has one).
    >> If you have an open plug from your power supply, use it and don't bother
    >> with the Y adapter. If you don't have an unused plug, the manual
    >> suggest
    >> using a connector off a hard drive. Like so:
    >>
    >> video card hard drive
    >> x x
    >> x x
    >> x x
    >> connect to power
    >> supply side
    >>
    >> Good Luck,
    >> Fitz
    >>

    > Actually It looks like it goes:
    >
    > pwr supply pwr supply
    > x x
    > x x
    > x x
    > black connecter--------x
    > video card
    >
    > from the pictures I can find.
    >
    > http://www.directron.com/6pinpcie.html
    >
    > I haven't actually physically seen a card. Don't the 6800GTs soak up a
    > lot of power?
    >
    > Bill

    I know since I own a 6800GT. How about this? If you can't figure it out by
    looking at it, you shouldn't be using a computer, walking on your hind legs,
    or breathing for that matter. Just MHO...RTFM, ffs.

    Cheers!

    From the BFG Quick Install Manual:

    One Connector Instructions

    1. Locate an available 4-pin peripheral power connector from your

    internal power supply and plug it (*see note) directly into the

    connector on the upper right hand edge of the BFG card.

    2. If you do not have an available power connector, use the included

    Y cable to supply power.

    a. Disconnect the 4-pin peripheral power cable from the hard drive

    located closest to the BFG card.

    b. Plug this cable into the input end (A) of the Y cable

    c. Plug one 4-pin peripheral connector (B) into the connector on the

    upper right hand corner of the BFG card.

    d. Plug the other 4-pin peripheral connector into the hard drive

    which was disconnected in step a.

    NOWHERE does it say to connect both of the (split) ends to the power supply,
    and it specifically says do not use Y cable to connect to both power
    connectors on the video card (if so equipped, and yours shouldn't be). Its
    Power Supply---->Video Card/Hard Drive.

    Fitz

    >walking on your hind legs, or breathing for that matter.<

    How many sets of legs do you have that you have to differentiate between
    your "hind" legs and others? Dragging your knuckles along the ground doesn't
    make them legs. And what the hell does breathing have to do with installing
    a video card?

    Cheers

    "steve1ddd" <steve1ddd@aol.com> wrote in message
    >I just got a evga 6800 gt...i upgraded from a ati 9800 pro....now my
    > 9800 had a power connector right on the card, just plug in power and
    > go...but the 6800gt had a little adapter thinggy that has 2 power
    > connectors...do i need to plug in 2 power connectors or just one or
    > does it not matter? Also i was told not to use any spliters for
    > powering the card, is this true.
    >
    > Steve

    Just one :) I have the eVGA 6800 GT AGP, it also came with a molex
    splitter (Y cable). They put it in for users convenience. I have enough
    power cables, I just plugged it into one by itself. It's been said many
    times by many sources that you shouldn't share a power cable with anything
    else. If you're short on power cables, then share it with an optical drive.
    Something that isn't power hungry and/or isn't used so often.
    McG.

    In article <11ip35fq1ro3d10@corp.supernews.com>, akfitz@mtaonline.net
    says...
    > From the BFG Quick Install Manual:
    >
    > One Connector Instructions
    >
    > 1. Locate an available 4-pin peripheral power connector from your
    >
    > internal power supply and plug it (*see note) directly into the
    >
    > connector on the upper right hand edge of the BFG card.
    >
    > 2. If you do not have an available power connector, use the included
    >
    > Y cable to supply power.
    >
    > a. Disconnect the 4-pin peripheral power cable from the hard drive
    >
    > located closest to the BFG card.
    >
    > b. Plug this cable into the input end (A) of the Y cable
    >
    > c. Plug one 4-pin peripheral connector (B) into the connector on the
    >
    > upper right hand corner of the BFG card.
    >
    > d. Plug the other 4-pin peripheral connector into the hard drive
    >
    > which was disconnected in step a.
    >
    > NOWHERE does it say to connect both of the (split) ends to the power supply,
    > and it specifically says do not use Y cable to connect to both power
    > connectors on the video card (if so equipped, and yours shouldn't be). Its
    > Power Supply---->Video Card/Hard Drive.
    >

    > Fitz

    Thanks for the clarification. From the picture I looked at it
    appeared that both molex connectors were male which would possibly
    connect to two female connectors from the power supply. If the card
    really needed all that power.

    Bill
    to two

Nvidia EVGA Power Graphics