Major GTA:SA problem

I had just got all of the first 20 oysters and was heading down from
Vinewood back to a safe house when the game crashed! Grrrr!

I was half way round the island doing them again, having saved when I'd
done the ones from the eastern beach round to the lighthouse, when the
game crashed again.

Third time, I managed to get all the coastal ones and saved, then got
the last two and saved again, but it still crashes occasionally, more
frequently than it has been up until last night.

Every time I enter a food joint, it crashes. I've only tried two, the
Burger Shot that Geoff... sorry, OG works at, and the Cluckin' Bell
south of Grove Street.

I had previously tried reinstalling the game to see if that fixed the
crashes that I get when using my DX1, but it hadn't helped. Ever since
that reinstall, though, the sound had been screwed up. It skips the
first 5 seconds of most of the cut-scene soundtracks, making the dialog
out of sync with the action, and the radio stations kept skipping.

I reinstalled again, hoping to fix the sound problem, and it seems to
be after that reinstall that the crashing has got worse. I am now
pretty much unable to play the game since I can't visit any fast food
jonits and it also crashes randomly at other times.

I haven't tried the 1.01 patch yet, I might give it a go as I have
found my original game disc now.

Phil Hibbs.
7 answers Last reply
More about major problem

    It's a laptop, a Rock Xtreme 3.0GHz Pentium 4, Radeon 9600

    It does have a problem with the graphics driver, in that I can't
    install the most recent one from the manufacturer. If I remove the
    current driver and run Driver Cleaner to make sure it is gone (as
    recommended by ATI and the manufacturer), then Windows can't find a
    "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" driver anywhere, and the new driver
    won't install because there isn't a "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)"
    driver installed.

    I am considering re-installing Windows (again).

    Phil Hibbs.

    Could be "QuickTime Alternative", which I installed because QuickTime
    couldn't play some videos. I'll try removing it.

    Phil Hibbs.

    "snark" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > It's a laptop, a Rock Xtreme 3.0GHz Pentium 4, Radeon 9600

    Do you have any software that might have installed its own DirectX audio
    filters?

    I have a Dell desktop which crashes GTA:SA quite often, and it's almost
    always when a new bit of audio is loaded (for example, when the "news"
    changes as a result of CJ's actions).

    The exact same thing happens when I add certain audio filters in my video
    editing application (the only one I really use is "amplify"). It's got to
    the stage where I know it will happen the first time I apply the filter, so
    I save, apply, let it crash, reload, apply, carry on. It happens only once a
    day, when I first use the filter.

    The same principle has worked with GTA - the crash doesn't happen when I
    restart the game.

    >I had just got all of the first 20 oysters and was heading down from
    > Vinewood back to a safe house when the game crashed! Grrrr!
    >
    > I was half way round the island doing them again, having saved when I'd
    > done the ones from the eastern beach round to the lighthouse, when the
    > game crashed again.

    --------------------snip-----------------------

    More info about your machine please...
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    > Could be "QuickTime Alternative", which I installed because QuickTime
    > couldn't play some videos. I'll try removing it.

    If it _is_ the problem, simply removing it _might_ not help. It depends
    where it installed the filter (if indeed, it is a filter that's causing your
    problem).

    If the filter is available as a system DLL then uninstalling the application
    might not get rid of it, so the problem won't go away until the filter has
    gone too.

    Again, this is assuming you have a faulty DirectX filter... I'd hate for you
    to ditch some software when your problem is an overheating GPU or somesuch
    <g>
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    I removed QuickTimeAlternative, and that has fixed the crashing
    problem, but the sound is still out of sync in the cut-scenes.

    Phil Hibbs.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    I removed QuickTimeAlternative, and the game doesn't crash as often
    now. The sound is still screwed up in the cut-scenes though, it still
    skips the first 10 seconds.

    Phil Hibbs.

Games Video Games