All Right, Who's Got The Oldest PB

br549

Out of the 14 PB's I have in my shop, I have one that is pretty old.
It's a 286. Still runs. Anybody got that beat? Let me go dig it out
and I'll post the model number and name.

"BR549" <Zydaco@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Out of the 14 PB's I have in my shop, I have one that is pretty old.
> It's a 286. Still runs. Anybody got that beat? Let me go dig it out
> and I'll post the model number and name.

Working or non working? I still have the Legend Supreme 60 circa
1993-94 72 Mb ram, had a 540 HD, 2x CD Rom, Sound card was a combo
with another device, ran Windows 3.1 (Originally) Also had 2Mb video
memory (Cirrus Logic) it occupies a spot in my attic as a door stop oh
had a pb520r motherboard.

Elector

br549

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:<0Fvcc.575$e17.315@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> "BR549" <Zydaco@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Out of the 14 PB's I have in my shop, I have one that is pretty old.
> > It's a 286. Still runs. Anybody got that beat? Let me go dig it out
> > and I'll post the model number and name.
>
> Working or non working? I still have the Legend Supreme 60 circa
> 1993-94 72 Mb ram, had a 540 HD, 2x CD Rom, Sound card was a combo
> with another device, ran Windows 3.1 (Originally) Also had 2Mb video
> memory (Cirrus Logic) it occupies a spot in my attic as a door stop oh
> had a pb520r motherboard.
>
> Elector

Well Elector, I feel like it should be confined to working systems,
but it may be interesting to find the oldest computer(PB) period! Mine
says Legend IV on the front and the back says 286 series. The
processor is plugged into a socket on the board like a rectangular
bios chip and it says i287 on the top. It has 4 rows of skinny memory
that looks like 30 pin. The hard drive is only a skeleton with all the
works outside the case and the power plug is upside down with the
yellow wires pointing towards the IDE cable. Boots right up and says
Phoenix Bios something or other but says no operating system found. I
can't recall if I wiped it down or not. I might try loading Win98SE on
it just to see if it will run it. One other thing, it only has one IDE
channel so I suppose the CD-ROM is supposed to go to the soundcard or
as primary slave, don't know which.

Let's get everyone to dig out all these old doorstops and fire those
babies up and see if they can get on the internet with them! What a
hoot!!

cork

Friend of mine has that same exact system. Still works, but he doesn't use
it anymore. Sets on the bottom shelf of his computer desk under his newer
system. He didn't get it new as it had Windows 95 when he got it.

> Well Elector, I feel like it should be confined to working systems,
> but it may be interesting to find the oldest computer(PB) period!
Mine
> says Legend IV on the front and the back says 286 series. The
> processor is plugged into a socket on the board like a rectangular
> bios chip and it says i287 on the top. It has 4 rows of skinny
memory
> that looks like 30 pin. The hard drive is only a skeleton with all
the
> works outside the case and the power plug is upside down with the
> yellow wires pointing towards the IDE cable. Boots right up and says
> Phoenix Bios something or other but says no operating system found.
> can't recall if I wiped it down or not. I might try loading Win98SE
on
> it just to see if it will run it. One other thing, it only has one
IDE
> channel so I suppose the CD-ROM is supposed to go to the soundcard
or
> as primary slave, don't know which.
>
> Let's get everyone to dig out all these old doorstops and fire those
> babies up and see if they can get on the internet with them! What a
> hoot!!

Well then I would have to drop out since the machine is still "not
functional" and the motherboard, processor, case, modem, cd rom, are
still left. I gave away the 2 sticks of ram 32x2=64 + 8 Megs on board
for a total of 72 Mb. of Ram, and the two video chips I gave away as
well and the original HD is still available and the software and
Monitor (w/those crazy mounted speakers), manuals, power supply and
all connectors but it has sat in my attic in a box for many years. It
is very doubtful I can "fire it up" but I can dig it all out and photo
shoot it to show the unit. Besides no prize was offered, ha ha

Elector

"Cork" <cork58@chartermi.net> wrote in message
> Friend of mine has that same exact system. Still works, but he
doesn't use
> it anymore. Sets on the bottom shelf of his computer desk under his
newer
> system. He didn't get it new as it had Windows 95 when he got it.

Yeah I bet many of these units which when I bought it from Sears, was
around $3,000.00 US and it was a very nice computer. Alas I did a load
of up grading to it and eventually made my own systems and have not
looked back.

Elector

> Yeah I bet many of these units which when I bought it from Sears, was
> around $3,000.00 US and it was a very nice computer. Alas I did a load
> of up grading to it and eventually made my own systems and have not
> looked back.
>
> Elector

My Legend 415CD (486) came from Sears, too. It still runs the internet as
fast as any other machine. I added a lot of RAM when RAM cost big bucks,
and eventually adapted a 233MMX to the board. (top chip at the time) I use
it to store my software.

I also have a Platinum Supreme 1850 (233MMX) sitting here, but I don't have
the same sense of attachment as to the old faithful 486.

It is amazing how fast state-of-the-art becomes excess baggage. I just
built a P4 2.6C on an Intel board for $600. It won't be completely
obsolete until the BTX boards are released, but I can see it coming.

Oh, well.
Pepperoni

br549

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:<JLEcc.3878$%b5.100@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> "BR549" <Zydaco@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Well Elector, I feel like it should be confined to working systems,
> > but it may be interesting to find the oldest computer(PB) period!
> Mine
> > says Legend IV on the front and the back says 286 series. The
> > processor is plugged into a socket on the board like a rectangular
> > bios chip and it says i287 on the top. It has 4 rows of skinny
> memory
> > that looks like 30 pin. The hard drive is only a skeleton with all
> the
> > works outside the case and the power plug is upside down with the
> > yellow wires pointing towards the IDE cable. Boots right up and says
> > Phoenix Bios something or other but says no operating system found.
> > can't recall if I wiped it down or not. I might try loading Win98SE
> on
> > it just to see if it will run it. One other thing, it only has one
> IDE
> > channel so I suppose the CD-ROM is supposed to go to the soundcard
> or
> > as primary slave, don't know which.
> >
> > Let's get everyone to dig out all these old doorstops and fire those
> > babies up and see if they can get on the internet with them! What a
> > hoot!!
>
> Well then I would have to drop out since the machine is still "not
> functional" and the motherboard, processor, case, modem, cd rom, are
> still left. I gave away the 2 sticks of ram 32x2=64 + 8 Megs on board
> for a total of 72 Mb. of Ram, and the two video chips I gave away as
> well and the original HD is still available and the software and
> Monitor (w/those crazy mounted speakers), manuals, power supply and
> all connectors but it has sat in my attic in a box for many years. It
> is very doubtful I can "fire it up" but I can dig it all out and photo
> shoot it to show the unit. Besides no prize was offered, ha ha
>
> Elector

Elector, make a list of whatever you need to get it going and I
probably have some of it. I'll send you what I have and then you can
fire that badboy up! You have my email so send me a line and let me
know.

"Pepperoni" <undeliverableaddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Yeah I bet many of these units which when I bought it from Sears,
was
> > around $3,000.00 US and it was a very nice computer. Alas I did a
load
> > of up grading to it and eventually made my own systems and have
not
> > looked back.
> >
> > Elector
>

> My Legend 415CD (486) came from Sears, too. It still runs the
internet as
> fast as any other machine. I added a lot of RAM when RAM cost big
bucks,
> and eventually adapted a 233MMX to the board. (top chip at the time)
I use
> it to store my software.
>
> I also have a Platinum Supreme 1850 (233MMX) sitting here, but I
don't have
> the same sense of attachment as to the old faithful 486.
>
> It is amazing how fast state-of-the-art becomes excess baggage. I
just
> built a P4 2.6C on an Intel board for $600. It won't be completely
> obsolete until the BTX boards are released, but I can see it
coming.

> Oh, well.
> Pepperoni

That is so true. Today's cost hungry systems with top of the line
anything can be bought for under $400 in a year or so and that is a
complete system. I noted that last Christmas the top of the line Dells
which had/have more than my original PB was going for $499 with a $100
Rebate ($399) monitor, full case, 256 MB ram, CD-R/RW DVD Combo Drive,
Windows XP and Corel WordPerfect Suite installed as well as other
software and although the floppy drives are not included it was a
great deal for a P4 processor system.

I can not build one for that price even today. ( USB 2.0, Firewire
Ports, Altec Lansing sound, Speakers, ATI Graphics card, 10/100/1000
NIC ) are also included in that $399 price and free shipping. However
one of my laptops has all that and more and may have cost $1200 but I
have read that many folks are going to this type of system. Portable
with wireless capabilities. And the prices are dropping on these units
as well. I think I looked at a commercial last evening for a Dell lap
top for around $600.

Elector

> Elector, make a list of whatever you need to get it going and I
> probably have some of it. I'll send you what I have and then you can
> fire that badboy up! You have my email so send me a line and let me
> know.

Thank you for that kind offer. With it sitting dormant for so long the
odds of any "fire up" are extremely remote. It took a Type 40 chip to
keep cmos in queue. Even if I were to remove it and then replace it
with a converted battery holder and 3.3 volt lithium battery, and
placed the 2 memory sticks back in and the one of the 1 meg video
chips the baby would stay alive all of 10 minutes before it burns its
self out. Moisture and wet in the summer/winter and summer/winter etc.
for so many years is not worth the trouble.

But your kindness is much appreciated.

Elector

br549

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:<Aq_cc.10517$e17.7973@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> "BR549" <Zydaco@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Elector, make a list of whatever you need to get it going and I
> > probably have some of it. I'll send you what I have and then you can
> > fire that badboy up! You have my email so send me a line and let me
> > know.
>
> Thank you for that kind offer. With it sitting dormant for so long the
> odds of any "fire up" are extremely remote. It took a Type 40 chip to
> keep cmos in queue. Even if I were to remove it and then replace it
> with a converted battery holder and 3.3 volt lithium battery, and
> placed the 2 memory sticks back in and the one of the 1 meg video
> chips the baby would stay alive all of 10 minutes before it burns its
> self out. Moisture and wet in the summer/winter and summer/winter etc.
> for so many years is not worth the trouble.
>
> But your kindness is much appreciated.
>
> Elector

Sure, anytime. If you change you mind, offer still stands. I have a
couple of old ISA video cards here too so you could stick one of those
in there.

I thought the same thing about my old 286 the other day when I started
this thread but it fired right up and came out swinging. I think it
wants to LIVE!!

"BR549" <Zydaco@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> I thought the same thing about my old 286 the other day when I
started
> this thread but it fired right up and came out swinging. I think it
> wants to LIVE!!

That brings to mind a money that a person screams out: "It's
ALIVE...!"

Elector

> "BR549" <Zydaco@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
> > I thought the same thing about my old 286 the other day when I
> started
> > this thread but it fired right up and came out swinging. I think
it
> > wants to LIVE!!
>
> That brings to mind a money that a person screams out: "It's
> ALIVE...!"
>
> Elector

money=movie sorry I was thinking of money..!

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"BR549" <Zydaco@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Out of the 14 PB's I have in my shop, I have one that is pretty old.
> It's a 286. Still runs. Anybody got that beat? Let me go dig it out
> and I'll post the model number and name.

OK, I think I may have ya all beat, not me necesiarly, but my Uncle owns a
Packard Bell Radio made sometime in the 40's I belive. I see if I can get a
pic of it. I also do rember a classmate of mine owning a Packard Bell
Calcualtor around 1984-86.

ANthony

"Anthony" <gfhkj@lkjgsfdkj.jky> wrote in message

> "BR549" <Zydaco@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Out of the 14 PB's I have in my shop, I have one that is pretty
old.
> > It's a 286. Still runs. Anybody got that beat? Let me go dig it
out
> > and I'll post the model number and name.
>
> OK, I think I may have ya all beat, not me necesiarly, but my Uncle
owns a
> Packard Bell Radio made sometime in the 40's I belive. I see if I
can get a
> pic of it. I also do rember a classmate of mine owning a Packard
Bell
> Calcualtor around 1984-86.
>
> ANthony

Nope, Packard Bell was started by Benny Algam (Spelling may be wrong)
and it was not in the 40's. Personal Computers is the contest not
radios. Radio contest is down the hall and to the left Ha ha

Elector

But Benny bought the trademark to the Packard Bell name from the remains of the
original company which did make radios and stuff... Ben Myers

> But Benny bought the trademark to the Packard Bell name from the remains
of the
> original company which did make radios and stuff... Ben Myers

He Did..? I never knew that.

Elector

Usenet is a veritable fountain of knowledge and information. I vaguely remember
a Packard Bell radio or two from long ago... Ben Myers

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 15:38:38 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote:

>> But Benny bought the trademark to the Packard Bell name from the remains
>of the
>> original company which did make radios and stuff... Ben Myers
>>

>He Did..? I never knew that.
>
>Elector

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Don't got it beat. But my mom has a Legend 2050 that I've been playing
around on lately. It's a 486, PB441A Model #, 50Mhz Processor,
originally 4mb RAM upgraded to 16mb. Came with WFW 3.1 upgraded to
W95A. It doesn't seem to have a restore disk. It says to make a backup
of 3.1 in Navigator then reinstall and use the multimedia CD to
install Navigator. I installed a 3COM ISA Ethernet card and with
broadband and IE 3.0 it gets on the internet. I tried IE 4.0SP2 and
was more compatible with web pages but I took it off. I also tried
Opera 7.23 w/o JAVA said it was compatible with W95 but it slowed the
computer down to pratically a halt. Overall the computer is in
excellent new condition. I had to replace the battery about 6 months
ago with a NiMH, I'd like to get a Lithium coin cell adapter since the
motherboard supports it.

br549

Airdale@cox.net (Chris) wrote in message news:<d67e10db.0404212038.df663a6@posting.google.com>...
> Don't got it beat. But my mom has a Legend 2050 that I've been playing
> around on lately. It's a 486, PB441A Model #, 50Mhz Processor,
> originally 4mb RAM upgraded to 16mb. Came with WFW 3.1 upgraded to
> W95A. It doesn't seem to have a restore disk. It says to make a backup
> of 3.1 in Navigator then reinstall and use the multimedia CD to
> install Navigator. I installed a 3COM ISA Ethernet card and with
> broadband and IE 3.0 it gets on the internet. I tried IE 4.0SP2 and
> was more compatible with web pages but I took it off. I also tried
> Opera 7.23 w/o JAVA said it was compatible with W95 but it slowed the
> computer down to pratically a halt. Overall the computer is in
> excellent new condition. I had to replace the battery about 6 months
> ago with a NiMH, I'd like to get a Lithium coin cell adapter since the
> motherboard supports it.

There's one of those in the shop storage room also. It has the
MicroFirmware bios update chip installed and an ODP83 processor.
There's also a AMD133 processor for it in the cabinet. These old jobs
are good to fool around with and I get a lot of enjoyment out of
seeing them perform, albeit slowly. Fortunately, I haven't had to
replace the battery on mine yet. I also would like to find a CR2032
adapter.