Refresh rate, 85 or 100Hz?

Which setting would you think would be better, my monitor supports refresh
rates upto 150Hz.
16 answers Last reply
More about refresh rate 100hz

    Depends on the user and ambient light level. Most people find 85 Hz to be
    the minimum acceptable refresh rate. Personally I run at 100 because I can
    still see flicker at 85 in the dark.

    A higher refresh rate has negligible impact on performance, but is more
    stressful on the monitor. The old 15" Panasonic on my secondary PC shows
    shaky imagery in the corners at 100 Hz, so I have to run at 85.

    Richard Dower wrote:

    > Which setting would you think would be better, my monitor supports refresh
    > rates upto 150Hz.

    In general, you should use the slowest refresh rate that does not cause
    eye strain due to flicker. Typically this means anything at or faster
    than about 75Hz. Faster refresh rates just use up video card computing
    power to little if any benefit.

    If you want to prove this to yourself, try any video test program such
    as MadOnion and run the test at 75Hz and 150Hz. What happens to your
    test scores.

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:13:31 +0100, Richard Dower wrote:

    > Which setting would you think would be better, my monitor supports refresh
    > rates upto 150Hz.

    100 would be perfect if the picure is clear and not blury !

    85hz and 100hz seem most common.
    I use 100hz for most resolutions,but 85 is fine also,when using higher
    settings the image could get a bit more blurry.
    Remember that a television operates at 60hz or 100hz in europe.
    I believe 50hz and 100hz in US ?
    Anyway,no need to run your pc at higher settings for this,or only if you are
    a graphics designer with a very big monitor screen,then it could be usefull
    to have the highest setting possible.
    In general,the bigger the screen the higher the frequency can be set.

    "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > Which setting would you think would be better, my monitor supports refresh
    > rates upto 150Hz.

    The higher you set the refresh rate, the harder your monitor has to work.
    Set it to the lowest refresh rate that prevents you from seeing any flashing
    of the screen. Usually that's around 75 or 85 Hz. Running it at 100 Hz
    will shorten the monitor's life.

    --
    DaveW
    __________

    'Flow' wrote, in part:
    | 85hz and 100hz seem most common.
    | I use 100hz for most resolutions,but 85 is fine also,when using higher
    | settings the image could get a bit more blurry.
    | Remember that a television operates at 60hz or 100hz in europe.
    | I believe 50hz and 100hz in US ?Television (PAL or SECAM) in Europe is 25
    frames per second (50 fields per second.)
    _____

    Television (NTSC) in the USA is 30 frames per second (60 fields per second.)
    But television images (PAL, SECAM, or NTSC) are interlaced signals and
    television CRTs are optimized for slower phosphor decay than computer CRT
    monitors, so the viewing experience isn't directly compatible.

    Some newer, more advanced television monitors digitize the video signal,
    buffer it, and display the image non-interlaced at double or quadruple the
    original frame rate. This produces a better viewing experiece (viewers
    accustomed to NTSC find PAL and SECAM to have objectional flicker at the
    normal 25 frames per second/ 50 fields per second because of phosphor decay.
    Optical film projection is normally at 24 frames per second, but no flicker
    is apparent because the illumination of the screen is at a constant level
    during each frame with a very brief black interval between each frame as the
    film is advanced. Rotating prism projecters can vitrually eliminate the
    black interval.

    CRT omputer monitors are optimized for the highest frame rate the sweep
    electronics can accomplish.
    Increasing the frame rate increases the required high frequency response for
    circuits in the display adapter, monitor and connecting cables even though
    the resolution of each frame is not increased. Higher frame rates can
    result in lower detail on the screen.

    Phil Weldon

    "Flow" <Flowing@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    > 85hz and 100hz seem most common.
    > I use 100hz for most resolutions,but 85 is fine also,when using higher
    > settings the image could get a bit more blurry.
    > Remember that a television operates at 60hz or 100hz in europe.
    > I believe 50hz and 100hz in US ?
    > Anyway,no need to run your pc at higher settings for this,or only if you
    > are
    > a graphics designer with a very big monitor screen,then it could be
    > usefull
    > to have the highest setting possible.
    > In general,the bigger the screen the higher the frequency can be set.
    >
    > "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    >> Which setting would you think would be better, my monitor supports
    >> refresh
    >> rates upto 150Hz.

    im using 85 hz as well.
    They say the more the FF the less the eye strain but i don't think
    there is much of a diff between 85 and 100...

    --
    params7
    params7's Profile: http://www.techenclave.com/forums/member.php?u=360

    The Tech SuperSite for India - www.techenclave.com

    'DaveW' wrote:
    | The higher you set the refresh rate, the harder your monitor has to work.
    | Set it to the lowest refresh rate that prevents you from seeing any
    flashing
    | of the screen. Usually that's around 75 or 85 Hz. Running it at 100 Hz
    | will shorten the monitor's life.
    _____

    Based on?

    Phil Weldon

    "Robert Gault" <robert.gault@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Richard Dower wrote:
    >
    >> Which setting would you think would be better, my monitor supports
    >> refresh rates upto 150Hz.
    >
    > In general, you should use the slowest refresh rate that does not cause
    > eye strain due to flicker. Typically this means anything at or faster than
    > about 75Hz. Faster refresh rates just use up video card computing power to
    > little if any benefit.
    >
    > If you want to prove this to yourself, try any video test program such as
    > MadOnion and run the test at 75Hz and 150Hz. What happens to your test
    > scores.

    I found that 75 was the best for me, my monitor, and my eyes. I once bumped
    it up to 100 or something, and for the next couldn't work out why I was
    getting headaches all the time.

    Of course, I finally realised what it was, put it back down to 75 and I no
    longer got the headaches.

    Straighten me up on this..I have read previously where the fps will be
    enhanced with higher refresh rates...what is that all about?

    eMachines W2686/1.5G ram/AMD Athlon 2.6Ghz/GeForce 6600gt

    --

    Charlie

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:30:34 -0700, "DaveW" <nowhere@dot.org> wrote:

    >The higher you set the refresh rate, the harder your monitor has to work.
    >Set it to the lowest refresh rate that prevents you from seeing any flashing
    >of the screen. Usually that's around 75 or 85 Hz. Running it at 100 Hz
    >will shorten the monitor's life.

    Very very true, I have always use 72 Hz but now with a LCD its set at
    60 Hz as a LCD is not scanned and does not really need the higher (75Hz)
    rate from my observations .
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Depending on monitor size and quality of the internal components, obviously.
    75 Hz causes noticeable flicker in dark rooms. How much is a healthy pair of
    eyes worth compared to a CRT?

    "DaveW" <nowhere@dot.org> wrote in message
    > The higher you set the refresh rate, the harder your monitor has to work.
    > Set it to the lowest refresh rate that prevents you from seeing any
    > flashing of the screen. Usually that's around 75 or 85 Hz. Running it at
    > 100 Hz will shorten the monitor's life.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Only in apps(games mostly) where Vertical Sync in used and enabled.
    If vsync is enabled the games' framerate will top out at the current refresh
    rate.

    "Charlie" <charlie@play.com> wrote in message
    > Straighten me up on this..I have read previously where the fps will be
    > enhanced with higher refresh rates...what is that all about?
    >
    > eMachines W2686/1.5G ram/AMD Athlon 2.6Ghz/GeForce 6600gt
    >
    > --
    >
    > Charlie
    >

    > "Dragoncarer" <wee@ihaveabrandspankingnew.computer> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Robert Gault" <robert.gault@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

    > >> In general, you should use the slowest refresh rate that does not cause
    > >> eye strain due to flicker. Typically this means anything at or faster
    > >> than about 75Hz. Faster refresh rates just use up video card computing
    > >> power to little if any benefit.
    > >>
    > >> If you want to prove this to yourself, try any video test program such
    as
    > >> MadOnion and run the test at 75Hz and 150Hz. What happens to your test
    > >> scores.
    > >
    > > I found that 75 was the best for me, my monitor, and my eyes. I once
    > > bumped it up to 100 or something, and for the next couldn't work out why
    > > was getting headaches all the time.
    > >
    > > Of course, I finally realised what it was, put it back down to 75 and I
    no
    > > longer got the headaches.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Thank you for the explanaition phil :) i always mix up the pal and ntsc
    frequencies.

    "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> schreef in bericht
    > 'Flow' wrote, in part:
    > | 85hz and 100hz seem most common.
    > | I use 100hz for most resolutions,but 85 is fine also,when using higher
    > | settings the image could get a bit more blurry.
    > | Remember that a television operates at 60hz or 100hz in europe.
    > | I believe 50hz and 100hz in US ?Television (PAL or SECAM) in Europe is
    25
    > frames per second (50 fields per second.)
    > _____
    >
    > Television (NTSC) in the USA is 30 frames per second (60 fields per
    second.)
    > But television images (PAL, SECAM, or NTSC) are interlaced signals and
    > television CRTs are optimized for slower phosphor decay than computer CRT
    > monitors, so the viewing experience isn't directly compatible.
    >
    > Some newer, more advanced television monitors digitize the video signal,
    > buffer it, and display the image non-interlaced at double or quadruple the
    > original frame rate. This produces a better viewing experiece (viewers
    > accustomed to NTSC find PAL and SECAM to have objectional flicker at the
    > normal 25 frames per second/ 50 fields per second because of phosphor
    decay.
    > Optical film projection is normally at 24 frames per second, but no
    flicker
    > is apparent because the illumination of the screen is at a constant level
    > during each frame with a very brief black interval between each frame as
    the
    > film is advanced. Rotating prism projecters can vitrually eliminate the
    > black interval.
    >
    > CRT omputer monitors are optimized for the highest frame rate the sweep
    > electronics can accomplish.
    > Increasing the frame rate increases the required high frequency response
    for
    > circuits in the display adapter, monitor and connecting cables even though
    > the resolution of each frame is not increased. Higher frame rates can
    > result in lower detail on the screen.
    >
    > Phil Weldon
    >
    > "Flow" <Flowing@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    > > 85hz and 100hz seem most common.
    > > I use 100hz for most resolutions,but 85 is fine also,when using higher
    > > settings the image could get a bit more blurry.
    > > Remember that a television operates at 60hz or 100hz in europe.
    > > I believe 50hz and 100hz in US ?
    > > Anyway,no need to run your pc at higher settings for this,or only if you
    > > are
    > > a graphics designer with a very big monitor screen,then it could be
    > > usefull
    > > to have the highest setting possible.
    > > In general,the bigger the screen the higher the frequency can be set.
    > >
    > > "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > >> Which setting would you think would be better, my monitor supports
    > >> refresh
    > >> rates upto 150Hz.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    'Flow' wrote:
    | Thank you for the explanaition phil :) i always mix up the pal and ntsc
    | frequencies.
    _____

    There is an easy way to remember; the European standards PAL and SECAM have
    a frame rate originally based on the AC electrical frequency there - 50 Hz.
    The NTSC standard used in Japan and the US have a frame rate originally
    based on the AC frequency used there - 60 Hz. Before the days of color the
    horizontal and vertical frequencies didn't need to be very exact and the
    clock used was just twice the horizontal rate (half so that alternate fields
    would be offset 1/2 horizontal line for interlace. With the advent of
    modern color broadcast televison the clock is based on the color subcarrier
    frequency (~3.58 MHz for NTSC, ~ 4.43 MHz for PAL and SECAM) and the
    horizontal/vertical frequencies are divided down from that clock.

    > Thank you for the explanaition phil :) i always mix up the pal and ntsc
    > frequencies.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:09:59 GMT, Robert Gault
    <robert.gault@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >If you want to prove this to yourself, try any video test program such
    >as MadOnion and run the test at 75Hz and 150Hz. What happens to your
    >test scores.

    Nothing, because most modern benchmark tools turn off vsync prior to
    running the test. Because of that, your example is worthless.

Nvidia Monitors Graphics