ATI X700 Pro vs 6600GT ??

I'm looking to replace my ATI 9600 Pro (AGP) with something a little newer.
I was going to go ATI X700 Pro, but I would like to know
if there would be any advantages to getting a NVIDIA 6600GT?
I play mostly RTS and a few RPG games, no first person shooters.
5 answers Last reply
More about x700 6600gt

    The 6600GT is somewhat faster, and more importantly, has more stable
    drivers.

    --
    DaveW
    __________

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:44:46 GMT, "tod" <no_spam_i@earthlink.net>
    wrote:

    >I'm looking to replace my ATI 9600 Pro (AGP) with something a little newer.
    >I was going to go ATI X700 Pro, but I would like to know
    >if there would be any advantages to getting a NVIDIA 6600GT?
    >I play mostly RTS and a few RPG games, no first person shooters.

    I was just wondering the same thing. I'm on a strict budget,
    and trying to build myself a new Athlon64 Socket 939 system. I'm
    having to buy a piece, or two of hardware once a month. So I'm trying
    to get the best deal possible.
    Before deciding to build up a new A64 PC, I had opted to
    upgrade my Athlon XP 3000+ system with an extra 512MB RAM (total 1
    GB), and a new 6600GT AGP. For what I spent, I should have stuck with
    my GF4 Ti4400 for now, and put that money towards the A64 build.
    However, the 6600GT was a nice boost, even though it is bound by the
    CPU.
    I was checking Newegg out, and seen that the X700Pro was
    priced $25.00 less than the 6600GT PCI-E. I went looking for
    benchmarks, and seen that the X700Pro scores a little less than the
    6600GT in most games. Except in the case of HL2, where it scored about
    the same, or even a little more. However Doom3 favored the 6600GT
    quite a bit.
    Anywho, it will be around Christmas, or even after before I'm
    ready to purchase a card, so I'm gona wait, and see what comes out.
    Hopefully Nvidia's 7xxx series mid-range cards will come out maybe,
    and cause the prices of the 6600GT, and 6800 to drop even more.
    You said you where wanting to upgrade a Radeon 9600 Pro AGP
    with a 6600GT, or X700 Pro. As far as I know, the X700 Pro comes in
    PCI-E only. Only one of the Nvidia 6xxx, or a faster Radeon 9xxx would
    be an upgrade for you, unless you are upgrading to a PCI-E system as
    well.

    tod wrote:
    > I'm looking to replace my ATI 9600 Pro (AGP) with something a little newer.
    > I was going to go ATI X700 Pro, but I would like to know
    > if there would be any advantages to getting a NVIDIA 6600GT?
    > I play mostly RTS and a few RPG games, no first person shooters.

    The biggest advantage is that the 6600GT is a little faster ;)
    No,seriously,in this price range 6600GT is the king of the hill unless
    you want to buy a 6800LE and then unlock it pipelines.
    I would reccomend waiting a little more for the prices to drop and then
    buy yourself a 6800 vanilla.

    --
    Glitches are BAD!!!
    Beware...

    ICQ:275699535

    ATI just started selling X700 Pros with AGP.

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:27:55 -0700, "DaveW" <nowhere@dot.org> wrote:

    >The 6600GT is somewhat faster, and more importantly, has more stable
    >drivers.

    I've always been more favored towards Nvidia, but with the few
    ATI cards I've owned in the past, I've found their drivers to be just
    as good, or buggy as Nvidia's. The flaws found in both are always
    something specific to one thing. It's not like your machine will crash
    with every program. If that was the case, we would be paying $500.00
    for a 6600GT. It comes down to which card supports the programs you
    run at the best performance level for you.

Nvidia ATI Graphics Product