Isn't it annoying when....

Isn't it so annoying when you've got one particular game (or in my case
demo), and when you install a new graphics driver it stops working
properly (ie - displays an error message "Unable to create direct draw
object, please install direct x 7 or later" (even though you have dx
version 9), and no matter what you do you can't get it running again?

I've tried rolling back to the old drivers, reinstalling them from a
clean boot etc.. no luck!

hardware is athlon 3400, geforce 6600, os is xp home (although same
happens under my ME and 98se partitions), driver that worked once upon
a time was 77.72, and the demo in question is "volatile" by addict..

Any ideas of anything else I could try?
20 answers Last reply
More about annoying when

    Have you tried reinstalling the game? Some games do an autodetection thing
    in the background the first time they are run, but doesn't give you the
    option to do it again. I recall the original Unreal Tournament doing this.

    "Dan" <daniel_roach@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Isn't it so annoying when you've got one particular game (or in my case
    > demo), and when you install a new graphics driver it stops working
    > properly (ie - displays an error message "Unable to create direct draw
    > object, please install direct x 7 or later" (even though you have dx
    > version 9), and no matter what you do you can't get it running again?
    >

    > I've tried rolling back to the old drivers, reinstalling them from a
    > clean boot etc.. no luck!
    >
    > hardware is athlon 3400, geforce 6600, os is xp home (although same
    > happens under my ME and 98se partitions), driver that worked once upon
    > a time was 77.72, and the demo in question is "volatile" by addict..
    >
    > Any ideas of anything else I could try?

    "Dan" <daniel_roach@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Isn't it so annoying when you've got one particular game (or in my case
    > demo), and when you install a new graphics driver it stops working
    > properly (ie - displays an error message "Unable to create direct draw
    > object, please install direct x 7 or later" (even though you have dx
    > version 9), and no matter what you do you can't get it running again?
    >

    > I've tried rolling back to the old drivers, reinstalling them from a
    > clean boot etc.. no luck!
    >
    > hardware is athlon 3400, geforce 6600, os is xp home (although same
    > happens under my ME and 98se partitions), driver that worked once upon
    > a time was 77.72, and the demo in question is "volatile" by addict..
    >
    > Any ideas of anything else I could try?

    Along with reinstalling the game as 'First of One' suggested, you could also
    try reinstalling directx. I didn't see you mention in your post that you
    tried that...I'd try reinstalling the game first...

    First of One wrote:
    > Have you tried reinstalling the game? Some games do an autodetection thing
    > in the background the first time they are run, but doesn't give you the
    > option to do it again. I recall the original Unreal Tournament doing this.
    >
    > --

    hi,

    The demo itself has no "installation", being run by just double
    clicking the icon...

    Pc's can be funny at times huh??

    Dragoncarer wrote:
    > "Dan" <daniel_roach@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > The demo itself has no "installation", being run by just double
    > > clicking the icon...
    > >
    > > Pc's can be funny at times huh??
    > >

    > Uhm....strange.
    > Once again, as Guardian suggested, do what the programme is telling you to
    > do. The new drivers may have done something skewiff to DirectX, or changed
    > some weird little registry something or other so that the programme is
    > terribly confused.
    > What's the demo?

    I'll give it a try tonight, although the DXDIAG tests all run nicely..

    The demo is called "volatile" by addict - it's not a game demo, but a
    general "scene" demo, so it's just done to show off some cool effects -
    and it does have some mighty cool ones!!

    Marcel Overweel wrote:
    > Hi Dan,
    >
    > Strange that a demo program like that stops working after changing video
    > card.

    Yup - Evem stranger when it's just the drivers which have changed (and
    been rolled back several times), and particularly when another
    production by the same group, which uses the same engine and settings
    inteface works fine...

    > Maybe it has stored some setup information about your old card in a seperate
    > file.
    > Don't know if you still have the zip/rar/setup/whatever but you could try to
    > delete the directory containing the demo and unpack the originally
    > downloaded file again.

    tried it!

    > Another possibility is that it has stored some info in the windows registry.
    > Searching for 'volatile' or 'addict' in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
    > section might show some results.
    > Or maybe you are trying to run it with a video mode or refresh rate which
    > isn't supported by the new driver anymore.

    now you mention iot - there is a "save options in registry" option
    which I selected once it was up and running... Maybe a snoop round
    will help....

    ;)

    On 20 Sep 2005 04:37:18 -0700, "Dan" <daniel_roach@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Dragoncarer wrote:
    >> "Dan" <daniel_roach@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> > The demo itself has no "installation", being run by just double
    >> > clicking the icon...
    >> >
    >> > Pc's can be funny at times huh??
    >> >

    >> Uhm....strange.
    >> Once again, as Guardian suggested, do what the programme is telling you to
    >> do. The new drivers may have done something skewiff to DirectX, or changed
    >> some weird little registry something or other so that the programme is
    >> terribly confused.
    >> What's the demo?
    >
    >I'll give it a try tonight, although the DXDIAG tests all run nicely..
    >
    >The demo is called "volatile" by addict - it's not a game demo, but a
    >general "scene" demo, so it's just done to show off some cool effects -
    >and it does have some mighty cool ones!!

    Ah yes. I thought so. I found this to be a bummer as well. My
    problem is that once I switched to 6600GT, some demos quite working.
    One in particular is "Relais" by Kolor. Worked fine on my previous
    Radeon 9000, GF3 Ti200, and GF4 Ti4400, but will not run with my
    6600GT... no matter what driver I use, or if I have done a full, fresh
    OS format, and reinstall. Not sure if new Radeons will run it either.

    Dan wrote:
    > Marcel Overweel wrote:
    >
    > > Another possibility is that it has stored some info in the windows registry.
    > > Searching for 'volatile' or 'addict' in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
    > > section might show some results.
    > > Or maybe you are trying to run it with a video mode or refresh rate which
    > > isn't supported by the new driver anymore.
    >
    > now you mention iot - there is a "save options in registry" option
    > which I selected once it was up and running... Maybe a snoop round
    > will help....
    >
    > ;)
    woooot - thats sorted it!! I deleted the keys, and it's fine!!

    "Dan" <daniel_roach@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

    > Dragoncarer wrote:
    > > "Dan" <daniel_roach@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > > The demo itself has no "installation", being run by just double
    > > > clicking the icon...
    > > >
    > > > Pc's can be funny at times huh??
    > > >

    > > Uhm....strange.
    > > Once again, as Guardian suggested, do what the programme is telling you
    > > do. The new drivers may have done something skewiff to DirectX, or
    changed
    > > some weird little registry something or other so that the programme is
    > > terribly confused.
    > > What's the demo?
    >
    > I'll give it a try tonight, although the DXDIAG tests all run nicely..
    >
    > The demo is called "volatile" by addict - it's not a game demo, but a
    > general "scene" demo, so it's just done to show off some cool effects -
    > and it does have some mighty cool ones!!

    Hi Dan,

    Strange that a demo program like that stops working after changing video
    card.
    Maybe it has stored some setup information about your old card in a seperate
    file.
    Don't know if you still have the zip/rar/setup/whatever but you could try to
    delete the directory containing the demo and unpack the originally
    downloaded file again.
    Another possibility is that it has stored some info in the windows registry.
    Searching for 'volatile' or 'addict' in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
    section might show some results.
    Or maybe you are trying to run it with a video mode or refresh rate which
    isn't supported by the new driver anymore.

    Hope this helps.

    regards,
    Marcel

    The demo has no "installation", which means it has no "uninstallation",
    either, right? Yet, at the same time it saves settings to the registry.
    Funny indeed.

    Not as bad as MechCommander 2, which has hard-wired profiles for all
    supported video chipsets *at the time of the game's release*. Running the
    game on a newer system causes it to fall back to software rendering every
    single time. Deleting the profiles list solves the problem; naturally
    Microsoft doesn't document this anywhere.

    Marcel Overweel wrote:

    > > Dan wrote:
    > > > ;)
    > > woooot - thats sorted it!! I deleted the keys, and it's fine!!
    > >
    > Cool! :)

    and guess what happened again last night - he no working anymore!! :-D

    gotta laugh haven't ya?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Larry Roberts wrote:
    > On 20 Sep 2005 04:37:18 -0700, "Dan" <daniel_roach@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Ah yes. I thought so. I found this to be a bummer as well. My
    > problem is that once I switched to 6600GT, some demos quite working.
    > One in particular is "Relais" by Kolor. Worked fine on my previous
    > Radeon 9000, GF3 Ti200, and GF4 Ti4400, but will not run with my
    > 6600GT... no matter what driver I use, or if I have done a full, fresh
    > OS format, and reinstall. Not sure if new Radeons will run it either.

    I found the same - but it seems theirs a little hack

    http://www.scene.org/showforum.php?forum=6&topic=61492

    either way - I wasn't that keen on it - except for the cool bit at the
    beginning
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    First of One wrote:
    > The demo has no "installation", which means it has no "uninstallation",
    > either, right? Yet, at the same time it saves settings to the registry.
    > Funny indeed.

    although to be fair - a good 99% of demos work by just double clicking
    on the program - no installation necessary!

    Demos have always been funny about running on newer machines, going
    right back to the old atari st - the lost boys "mindbomb" demo was a
    good example here - before I got my 1 meg upgrade it would only let me
    view one of the screens (back in the days when ST demos used to have a
    game style main menu), and after my upgrade it would only let me load
    the other screens after virst loading the working one..

    I'd hoped that with direct x and opengl, things may be a little more
    compatible now - although obviously I don't expect 100% compatibilty -
    90+% would be nice though...
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Thanks for this info as I have MC2 and was holding off installing it until I
    got my flight sims all sorted out. Once I get MC2 installed, where do I
    find this profiles list so I can play it on my 6800GT? Thanks.
    Silvertip
    > The demo has no "installation", which means it has no "uninstallation",
    > either, right? Yet, at the same time it saves settings to the registry.
    > Funny indeed.
    >
    > Not as bad as MechCommander 2, which has hard-wired profiles for all
    > supported video chipsets *at the time of the game's release*. Running the
    > game on a newer system causes it to fall back to software rendering every
    > single time. Deleting the profiles list solves the problem; naturally
    > Microsoft doesn't document this anywhere.

    > "Dan" <daniel_roach@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> The demo itself has no "installation", being run by just double
    >> clicking the icon...
    >>
    >> Pc's can be funny at times huh??

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Marcel - dreaming away to the past... "

    gets all nostalgic and starts to wonder which of the following mean
    anything to you....

    Unlimited matrix - dark side of the spoon
    The decade demo
    Fairlight "full moon"
    The care bears (st version of the spreapoint demo with the great
    depeche mode music, and the grodan and kvack kvack demo)
    Sanity world of commodore and arte
    The B.I.G. demo (The one that started my obsession!!)

    Guess demos are the sort of thing you either love or hate..... If
    only I'd kept the st and the demos I had for that!!
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > Dan wrote:
    > > Marcel Overweel wrote:
    > >
    > > > Another possibility is that it has stored some info in the windows
    registry.
    > > > Searching for 'volatile' or 'addict' in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
    > > > section might show some results.
    > > > Or maybe you are trying to run it with a video mode or refresh rate
    which
    > > > isn't supported by the new driver anymore.
    > >
    > > now you mention iot - there is a "save options in registry" option
    > > which I selected once it was up and running... Maybe a snoop round
    > > will help....
    > >
    > > ;)
    > woooot - thats sorted it!! I deleted the keys, and it's fine!!

    Cool! :)
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On 21 Sep 2005 01:18:36 -0700, "Dan" <daniel_roach@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >although to be fair - a good 99% of demos work by just double clicking
    >on the program - no installation necessary!

    I don't know what demo's you play, at least 90% of the ones I play
    (most of the action games that are released) require installation.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> schreef in bericht
    > On 21 Sep 2005 01:18:36 -0700, "Dan" <daniel_roach@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >although to be fair - a good 99% of demos work by just double clicking
    > >on the program - no installation necessary!
    >
    > I don't know what demo's you play, at least 90% of the ones I play
    > (most of the action games that are released) require installation.

    Hi Andrew,

    Dan is not referring to game demos.
    It's the "demo's" from the olde time, when small groups of people created
    all kinds of nifty graphics, music and (by some declared as being
    impossible) special effects, stretching the hardware to the limits (or even
    beyond using undocumented processor features and *hardware* bugs) using pure
    assembler code; and all that in just a few hours time.
    Mostly done just for fun or in competition.
    Lol, even the computer designers (atari, commodore and such) didn't know
    that the hardware could do those things!

    Aah, the old times...
    I wonder if they still use assembler nowadays.

    Marcel - dreaming away to the past...
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Delete the files badcard.csv and vidcard.csv from the game dir.

    "Silvertip" <sparksr1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks for this info as I have MC2 and was holding off installing it until
    > I got my flight sims all sorted out. Once I get MC2 installed, where do I
    > find this profiles list so I can play it on my 6800GT? Thanks.
    > Silvertip
  20. yes I had this exact same problem earlier this year when I attempted to upgrade my graphics card and reinstall new drivers. It was about playing Rowans battle of britain, a game I so wanted to get into. I had already just had to re-format my hard drive because of various problems even though the hd had bad clusters. After formatting (which it was just about possible to do), I swapped my geforce 2mx for a radeon card to try and get better performance. This seemed to work but Rowans bob didn't seem to like the radeon card so I swapped the radeon card for a better nvidia card and reinstalled nvidia drivers (latest drivers). It was then that rowans bob refused to play at all, giving such errors as 'unable to create direct draw object' etc. I tried everything but to no avail. The only solution it seems is to reformat hard drive, but since my hd already has bad clusters on it I didn't think this was possible. So there I had to leave it. for my next computer that I'll be getting very soon I don't intend messing about with anything for the life of the computer. If this means leaving existing graphics drivers without upgrading for 5 years then so be it. IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!!!!

Nvidia Graphics