Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Riva TNT2 Ultra Guillemot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 20, 2005 6:51:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I am looking for an updated driver for this card. I downloaded a driver
from Nvidia:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

When I run the exe it says that I don't have a card that is supported.
Where else should I try?

Thanks,

nina
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 6:51:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 02:51:15 GMT, nina <alaurie@shaw.nospam.ca> wrote:

>I am looking for an updated driver for this card. I downloaded a driver
>from Nvidia:
>
>http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
>
>When I run the exe it says that I don't have a card that is supported.
>Where else should I try?
>
>Thanks,
>
>nina

The newer drivers no longer support the GF2 GTS/Ti/Ultra, or
the TnT, & TnT2 cards. I'm not sure what the last version was though.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 7:23:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Why do you want to change the present driver? For display adapter cards, a
TNT2 Ultra is very old, and the newest drivers, even if they could be
installed, wouldn't improve performance.

Phil Weldon

"nina" <alaurie@shaw.nospam.ca> wrote in message
news:Xns96D6C9F7A2ED0nina@24.70.95.211...
>I am looking for an updated driver for this card. I downloaded a driver
> from Nvidia:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
>
> When I run the exe it says that I don't have a card that is supported.
> Where else should I try?
>
> Thanks,
>
> nina
Related resources
September 20, 2005 7:20:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in
news:ghLXe.1519$q1.230@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> Why do you want to change the present driver? For display adapter
> cards, a TNT2 Ultra is very old, and the newest drivers, even if they
> could be installed, wouldn't improve performance.
>
> Phil Weldon
>

I had to do a re-install of the OS after a hard drive died. I have an old
driver that I used with the filename: 29.42_winxp.exe However, this only
gives me a max resolution of 1024x768, which is not the maximum. I was
just looking to get a better resolution.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 8:24:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

nina wrote:
> "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in
> news:ghLXe.1519$q1.230@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
>
>
>>Why do you want to change the present driver? For display adapter
>>cards, a TNT2 Ultra is very old, and the newest drivers, even if they
>>could be installed, wouldn't improve performance.
>>
>>Phil Weldon
>>
>
>
> I had to do a re-install of the OS after a hard drive died. I have an old
> driver that I used with the filename: 29.42_winxp.exe However, this only
> gives me a max resolution of 1024x768, which is not the maximum. I was
> just looking to get a better resolution.
>
>

Check NVIDIA's FTP archive. I'm sure the 4x.xx series supported the
TNT2U and you should get fairly recent compatibility (except D3D HAL
DirectX 9 support, that was introduced as a software layer in 52.16).

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/45.23/

If you don't like that version, try 44.03, it was fairly popular too.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 10:25:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

You probably got the newest Forceware drivers, which no longer supports the
TNT2.

The final driver release to support it is 71.89:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html

Blame nVidia for not making this immediately clear.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."


"nina" <alaurie@shaw.nospam.ca> wrote in message
news:Xns96D6C9F7A2ED0nina@24.70.95.211...
>I am looking for an updated driver for this card. I downloaded a driver
> from Nvidia:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
>
> When I run the exe it says that I don't have a card that is supported.
> Where else should I try?
>
> Thanks,
>
> nina
September 22, 2005 6:43:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

deimos <duralisisNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in
news:i6%Xe.597$L45.276@fe07.lga:

> nina wrote:
>> "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in
>> news:ghLXe.1519$q1.230@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
>>
>>
>>>Why do you want to change the present driver? For display adapter
>>>cards, a TNT2 Ultra is very old, and the newest drivers, even if they
>>>could be installed, wouldn't improve performance.
>>>
>>>Phil Weldon
>>>
>>
>>
>> I had to do a re-install of the OS after a hard drive died. I have
>> an old driver that I used with the filename: 29.42_winxp.exe
>> However, this only gives me a max resolution of 1024x768, which is
>> not the maximum. I was just looking to get a better resolution.
>>
>>
>
> Check NVIDIA's FTP archive. I'm sure the 4x.xx series supported the
> TNT2U and you should get fairly recent compatibility (except D3D HAL
> DirectX 9 support, that was introduced as a software layer in 52.16).
>
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/45.23/
>
> If you don't like that version, try 44.03, it was fairly popular too.
>

Ok, thanks for the link, I will burn that to disk for future use!

However, after installing I am still in the same boat. I can only get a
maximum resolution of 1024x768. My monitor, a MultiSync XV17, supports
a maximum resolution of 1280x1024. I have never updated a monitor
driver as I have always been able to get the max res of a monitor right
out of the box. Any idea why my vid card's max res is currently
1024x768?

Thanks
November 7, 2005 2:25:49 PM

I haven't had much luck with drivers and TNT2. The 61.83 drivers I am using now provide the best and most stable performance I will probably ever get from this card, including software DirectX 9 support. I can even run HL2 at 640 x 480 resolution on this card with crashes when I move to the next level in HL2. At least the game saves still work so I can just re-enter and carry on.

When I went over to XP PRO, I used the native drivers included with Windows XP and then installed the 61.83 drivers on the top and this provided the best performance I could get with this card. Any others and it just was a pain in the arse to install or I ended up corrupting the chipset drivers!!

Best solution - find £80 and from Maplin get a 512MB Geforce 6200 and then obtain the latest drivers to ensure HDTV support!
!