geforce 256 - 1.5v?

In article <0cMXe.253962$E95.48247@fed1read01>, Ed Light says...
> Is the geforce 256 a 1.5v or a 3v card?

3.3V and you need at least a 300W PSU.

--
Conor

Michael Park 1966-2005. World Rallying will miss you. God bless.

Why? Certainly not because of the display adapter, as a GeForce 256 doesn't
draw much power.

Phil Weldon wrote:
> Why? Certainly not because of the display adapter, as a GeForce 256 doesn't
> draw much power.
>
> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>In article <0cMXe.253962$E95.48247@fed1read01>, Ed Light says...
>>
>>>Is the geforce 256 a 1.5v or a 3v card?
>>
>>3.3V and you need at least a 300W PSU.
>>

>>--
>>Conor
>>
>>Michael Park 1966-2005. World Rallying will miss you. God bless.

The original did draw quite a bit for its time, but a GF DDR or GF2 will
run quite easily even on cheap 200w PSU's. You're much more likely to
suffer power problems from running an old power hungry CPU (TBird, etc)
with multiple hard drives and fans.

In article <OqYXe.1783$q1.202@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Phil
Weldon says...
> Why? Certainly not because of the display adapter, as a GeForce 256 doesn't
> draw much power.

You ARE kidding aren't you? Guess you never owned one.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

'Ed Light' wrote:
| Any idea of the amps on the various rails?Evidently 'Connor' doesn't, or
he wouldn't have made the post he did.

Back in the days of the GeForce256 as the biggest and baddest (late 1999),
it was a jump in performance and power consumption from the TNT2. But by
standards of today, the GeForce256 isn't a big power draw. The GPU chip for
the GeForce256 draws a whopping 16 Watts. If your GeForce256 has one slot
cut into the AGP connection fingers nearer the VGA connector it draws power
from the 3.3 volt supply. There should be an on card voltage
convertor/regulator to supply the voltages needed by the GPU, memory, and
interface chips. Figure less than 10 Amperes from the 3.3 volt rail,
nothing from any other rails. Only you know what else your system contains.
Depending on the other components go, there may almost nothing else
connected to the 3.3 volt rail.

Phil Weldon

"Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
> 'Ed Light' wrote:
> | Any idea of the amps on the various rails?Evidently 'Connor' doesn't, or
> he wouldn't have made the post he did.

Whoa -- the part after the question mark wasn't me. I only wrote "Any idea
of the amps on the various rails?"

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

"Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote

> the GeForce256 [chip] draws a whopping 16 Watts. If your GeForce256 has
> one slot cut into the AGP connection fingers nearer the VGA connector it
> draws power from the 3.3 volt supply. There should be an on card voltage
> convertor/regulator to supply the voltages needed by the GPU, memory, and
> interface chips. Figure less than 10 Amperes from the 3.3 volt rail,
> nothing from any other rails. Only you know what else your system
> contains. Depending on the other components go, there may almost nothing
> else connected to the 3.3 volt rail.

The card is miles away in a computer I built for a friend. I'm thinking of
changing motherboards to a km266 pro from a kt133A. Fortunately it's got an
Antec 300w, plenty of amps and a 4-pin connector too.

The Guellemot (sp?) 256 is very sharp. The fan fell off, though - broken
pin. Put a blue orb on there on a fan mate.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

'Ed Light' wrote:
| Whoa -- the part after the question mark wasn't me. I only wrote "Any
idea
| of the amps on the various rails?
_____

I appologize for the error. Having a bit of trouble with my newsreader
modifications.

'Ed Light' wrote, in part:
| The card is miles away in a computer I built for a friend. I'm thinking of
| changing motherboards to a km266 pro from a kt133A. Fortunately it's got
an
| Antec 300w, plenty of amps and a 4-pin connector too.
_____

Amazing what we once thought to be high power consumption! The next
generation of nVidia, the Geforce 2 moved from .22 microns to .18 microns
and eventually had just a 4 Watt power draw for the GPU.

I've often wondered why display adapter manufacturers didn't just plainly
state the power draw of their cards. It'd make life much simpler.

> "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote
>
>> the GeForce256 [chip] draws a whopping 16 Watts. If your GeForce256 has
>> one slot cut into the AGP connection fingers nearer the VGA connector it
>> draws power from the 3.3 volt supply. There should be an on card voltage
>> convertor/regulator to supply the voltages needed by the GPU, memory, and
>> interface chips. Figure less than 10 Amperes from the 3.3 volt rail,
>> nothing from any other rails. Only you know what else your system
>> contains. Depending on the other components go, there may almost nothing
>> else connected to the 3.3 volt rail.
>
> The card is miles away in a computer I built for a friend. I'm thinking of
> changing motherboards to a km266 pro from a kt133A. Fortunately it's got
> an Antec 300w, plenty of amps and a 4-pin connector too.
>
> The Guellemot (sp?) 256 is very sharp. The fan fell off, though - broken
> pin. Put a blue orb on there on a fan mate.
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> spam@uce.gov
> Thanks, robots.
>
> Bring the Troops Home:
> http://bringthemhomenow.org
>
> Fight Spam:
> http://bluesecurity.com

"Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote
> I've often wondered why display adapter manufacturers didn't just plainly
> state the power draw of their cards. It'd make life much simpler.

In case you missed them:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-powercons.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-vs-nv-power.html

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

In article <ye7Ye.2246$q1.1245@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Phil
Weldon says...

> I appologize for the error. Having a bit of trouble with my newsreader
> modifications.

Your cluelessness is duly noted.

--

> In article <ye7Ye.2246$q1.1245@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Phil
> Weldon says...
>
>> I appologize for the error. Having a bit of trouble with my newsreader
>> modifications.

> Your cluelessness is duly noted.

But Conor -- I use OE. It would be nice to have a text file message store
but anyhow. Backup backup backup. The newsgroups are integrated with the
e-mail and I can mark a bunch of threads to ignore in one swoop -- which is
what keeps me with it.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

'Ed Light' wrote:
| In case you missed them:
|
| http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-powercons.html
|
| http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-vs-nv-power.html
_____

Thanks for posting the two useful URLs that give actual measured power
consumption for recent display adapters.

> 'Ed Light' wrote:
> | In case you missed them:
> |
> | http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-powercons.html
> |
> | http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-vs-nv-power.html
> _____
>
> Thanks for posting the two useful URLs that give actual measured power
> consumption for recent display adapters.

The great thing is that they show the consumption on individual rails, so
you can plan your power supply needs. I use this:

http://takaman.jp/D/?english

Though I'm pretty surprised that with my Winchester idling (at 1/2 speed)
with 2 ide hd's and a 6600GT, soundblaster live!, and tv card, the system
unit is pulling only 114 watts, as measured using a "Kill a Watt" meter.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

'Connor' wrote:

| Your cluelessness is duly noted.
_____

Choosing to use and modify the most common newsreader is one thing.

Claiming a GeForce256 display adapter requires at least a 300W power supply
is another.

Especially in the absence of any information about the rest of the system.

Phil