nVidia GeForce FX 5200 (256MB) HELP!!!

I just bought the KDS LCD K917s this past weekend. After I got everything
hooked up in the upper left hand corner on the Windows XP login screen I
have a 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" area that is discolored. That is the only screen
that I can see this area appears to be abnormal (I have looked at many
screen of different applications an such). I downloaded the driver for the
monitor from the KDS website and tried things again, same problem.

I then downloaded the current driver for my video card (Date: 8/2/2005
Version: 7.8.0.1), uninstalled all drivers and installed the new drivers
from nVidia. Tried things again and the same problem persists only on the
Windows XP login screen.

I contacted KDS technical support in which they had me run through a few
things and they determined it is my video card. I found it hard to believe
because I don't see anything on boot up either then Windows XP login there
it is, once logged in I see nothing as I have tried several things and I
can't see it.

What gives??

I took the LCD back and exchanged it as at this point I am convince that the
LCD is defective. I got it home (same model) hooked everything back up and
the same exact thing in the exact same place and only on that one screen.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl

Iced Tea wrote:
> I just bought the KDS LCD K917s this past weekend. After I got everything
> hooked up in the upper left hand corner on the Windows XP login screen I
> have a 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" area that is discolored. That is the only screen
> that I can see this area appears to be abnormal (I have looked at many
> screen of different applications an such). I downloaded the driver for the
> monitor from the KDS website and tried things again, same problem.
>
> I then downloaded the current driver for my video card (Date: 8/2/2005
> Version: 7.8.0.1), uninstalled all drivers and installed the new drivers
> from nVidia. Tried things again and the same problem persists only on the
> Windows XP login screen.
>
> I contacted KDS technical support in which they had me run through a few
> things and they determined it is my video card. I found it hard to believe
> because I don't see anything on boot up either then Windows XP login there
> it is, once logged in I see nothing as I have tried several things and I
> can't see it.
>
> What gives??
>
> I took the LCD back and exchanged it as at this point I am convince that the
> LCD is defective. I got it home (same model) hooked everything back up and
> the same exact thing in the exact same place and only on that one screen.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carl

Go into Safe Mode VGA. This loads a default generic vga driver that
should tell whether it's hardware or not. Another thing to try is if
your LCD uses a regular VGA connector, try hooking it up to the DVI port
with one of those DVD-to-VGA adapters that usually comes with cards. It
might be damaged hardware.

But overall, I'd say if your previous monitor worked just fine, it's
likely the new one.

Careful reading of the original post shows that TWO NEW LCD monitors of the
same model and manufacturer showed the same fault.

Phil Weldon

I booted up in Safe Mode VGA and the login screen was normal and didn't have
the defect.

I also switched over to the other port using the adapter and booted up in
normally and it still has the abnormality on the login screen. This is the
second LCD (same exact model and manufacturer) and they both have the same
symptom.

Why would I only see this on the login screen? I didn't have any problems
with my old monitor, I am at a loss as to what to do?

Any additional help or online sites that might be of help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl

"Iced Tea" <icedteas@swbell.net> wrote in message
>I just bought the KDS LCD K917s this past weekend. After I got everything
>hooked up in the upper left hand corner on the Windows XP login screen I
>have a 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" area that is discolored. That is the only screen
>that I can see this area appears to be abnormal (I have looked at many
>screen of different applications an such). I downloaded the driver for the
>monitor from the KDS website and tried things again, same problem.
>
> I then downloaded the current driver for my video card (Date: 8/2/2005
> Version: 7.8.0.1), uninstalled all drivers and installed the new drivers
> from nVidia. Tried things again and the same problem persists only on the
> Windows XP login screen.
>
> I contacted KDS technical support in which they had me run through a few
> things and they determined it is my video card. I found it hard to
> believe because I don't see anything on boot up either then Windows XP
> login there it is, once logged in I see nothing as I have tried several
> things and I can't see it.
>
> What gives??

I'm not sure, but just what are the odds that this other person had the very
same problem?: http://tinyurl.com/8fevz I think it is software caused but
I don't know what you can do to make it disappear. See if the defect
reappears after disabling all startup items via msconfig.exe.

Tony.