Requirements for accelerated HD playback?

I have a 6600GT that's supposed to accelerate HD WMV and MPEG-2
playback, but I can't seem to get it to work. I've even tried the
PureVideo trial, but even then WMV HD playback still uses 100% CPU and
skips frames.

So far I've been using the 1080i WMV-HD trailers. I don't know of any
HD MPEG2 to try out. 720p content plays back fairly easily and did so
even before. But it still uses a lot of CPU, moreso than a Divx or XVid
with full post processing or a DVD.

Should 1080i playback be possible with acceleration on a XP 2500 Barton?
For reference, I'm using FW 78.03.
10 answers Last reply
More about requirements accelerated playback

    deimos wrote:
    > I have a 6600GT that's supposed to accelerate HD WMV and MPEG-2
    > playback, but I can't seem to get it to work. I've even tried the
    > PureVideo trial, but even then WMV HD playback still uses 100% CPU and
    > skips frames.
    >
    > So far I've been using the 1080i WMV-HD trailers. I don't know of any
    > HD MPEG2 to try out. 720p content plays back fairly easily and did so
    > even before. But it still uses a lot of CPU, moreso than a Divx or XVid
    > with full post processing or a DVD.
    >
    > Should 1080i playback be possible with acceleration on a XP 2500 Barton?
    > For reference, I'm using FW 78.03.

    I should mention also that in PowerDVD an option for Hardware/Software
    decoding is grayed out. I'm not sure if that's just because of my
    version though (5.0).

    'deimos' wrote, in part:
    | I have a 6600GT that's supposed to accelerate HD WMV and MPEG-2
    | playback, but I can't seem to get it to work. I've even tried the
    | PureVideo trial, but even then WMV HD playback still uses 100% CPU and
    | skips frames.
    _____

    High Definition playback acceleration isn't the same as hardware decoding,
    and could mean nothing more than slightly improved quality of playback,
    rather than significantly reduced CPU load.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon wrote:
    > 'deimos' wrote, in part:
    > | I have a 6600GT that's supposed to accelerate HD WMV and MPEG-2
    > | playback, but I can't seem to get it to work. I've even tried the
    > | PureVideo trial, but even then WMV HD playback still uses 100% CPU and
    > | skips frames.
    > _____
    >
    > High Definition playback acceleration isn't the same as hardware decoding,
    > and could mean nothing more than slightly improved quality of playback,
    > rather than significantly reduced CPU load.
    >
    > Phil Weldon
    >
    > "deimos" <duralisisNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a 6600GT that's supposed to accelerate HD WMV and MPEG-2 playback,
    >>but I can't seem to get it to work. I've even tried the PureVideo trial,
    >>but even then WMV HD playback still uses 100% CPU and skips frames.
    >>
    >>So far I've been using the 1080i WMV-HD trailers. I don't know of any HD
    >>MPEG2 to try out. 720p content plays back fairly easily and did so even
    >>before. But it still uses a lot of CPU, moreso than a Divx or XVid with
    >>full post processing or a DVD.
    >>
    >>Should 1080i playback be possible with acceleration on a XP 2500 Barton?
    >>For reference, I'm using FW 78.03.

    The GPU itself is supposed to offload much of the decoding from the CPU
    on the GF6. See the tech brief for "MPEG-2 Hardware Acceleration" and
    WMV HD acceleration.

    http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo.html

    And if you use the NVIDIA decoder for DVD's and HD content, it's
    supposed to have much better pulldown and deinterlacing as well as some
    very nice image filters (supposedly supported by GPU features and not
    all software).

    The requirements for all this are listed here:

    http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_purevideo_requirements.html

    Now I meet or exceed all of that and I'm not seeing an effect. I know
    from other peoples comments (especially on NVNews and Beyond3D) that the
    hardware decoding performance has increased drastically since the first
    6x.xx driver release to support it and has been a major factor for HTPC
    builders.

    Now I can't figure out if there's a registry setting missing from the
    78.03 drivers I'm using or what, but I'm not seeing a difference in WMV
    HD decoding over my previous FX5700 (which only supported deblocking in
    DVD players in VMR overlay).

    720p content plays fine, but it still uses 60-70% CPU, which is what an
    entirely software codec like x264 or Quicktime H.264 is like.

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:44:15 -0500, deimos wrote:

    > I have a 6600GT that's supposed to accelerate HD WMV and MPEG-2
    > playback, but I can't seem to get it to work. I've even tried the
    > PureVideo trial, but even then WMV HD playback still uses 100% CPU and
    > skips frames.
    >
    > So far I've been using the 1080i WMV-HD trailers. I don't know of any
    > HD MPEG2 to try out. 720p content plays back fairly easily and did so
    > even before. But it still uses a lot of CPU, moreso than a Divx or XVid
    > with full post processing or a DVD.
    >
    > Should 1080i playback be possible with acceleration on a XP 2500 Barton?
    > For reference, I'm using FW 78.03.

    I have purevideo and my hd clips doesn't use more than 40% of proc power
    with my amd64 3500

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/170 Maybe?

    Kill Bill wrote:
    > "deimos" <duralisisNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Phil Weldon wrote:

    >>>_____
    >>>
    >>>High Definition playback acceleration isn't the same as hardware
    >>>decoding, and could mean nothing more than slightly improved quality of
    >>>playback, rather than significantly reduced CPU load.
    >>>
    >>>Phil Weldon
    >>>
    >>>"deimos" <duralisisNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>The GPU itself is supposed to offload much of the decoding from the CPU on
    >>the GF6. See the tech brief for "MPEG-2 Hardware Acceleration" and WMV HD
    >>acceleration.
    >>
    >>http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo.html
    >>
    >>And if you use the NVIDIA decoder for DVD's and HD content, it's supposed
    >>to have much better pulldown and deinterlacing as well as some very nice
    >>image filters (supposedly supported by GPU features and not all software).
    >>
    >>The requirements for all this are listed here:
    >>
    >>http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_purevideo_requirements.html
    >>
    >>Now I meet or exceed all of that and I'm not seeing an effect. I know
    >>from other peoples comments (especially on NVNews and Beyond3D) that the
    >>hardware decoding performance has increased drastically since the first
    >>6x.xx driver release to support it and has been a major factor for HTPC
    >>builders.
    >>
    >>Now I can't figure out if there's a registry setting missing from the
    >>78.03 drivers I'm using or what, but I'm not seeing a difference in WMV HD
    >>decoding over my previous FX5700 (which only supported deblocking in DVD
    >>players in VMR overlay).
    >>
    >>720p content plays fine, but it still uses 60-70% CPU, which is what an
    >>entirely software codec like x264 or Quicktime H.264 is like.
    >

    > http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/170 Maybe?

    After disabling FFDShow completely and following the guide listed above,
    I can get DVD playback at about 2-4% CPU usage and the "NVIDIA Decoder"
    settings icon shows up (very nice deinterlacing). But...

    WMV HD playback is still bad. Still can't do 1080i without dropping
    frames. And 720p is still fairly high CPU usage.

    deimos wrote:
    > Kill Bill wrote:
    >
    >> "deimos" <duralisisNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> The GPU itself is supposed to offload much of the decoding from the
    >>> CPU on the GF6. See the tech brief for "MPEG-2 Hardware
    >>> Acceleration" and WMV HD acceleration.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo.html
    >>>
    >>> And if you use the NVIDIA decoder for DVD's and HD content, it's
    >>> supposed to have much better pulldown and deinterlacing as well as
    >>> some very nice image filters (supposedly supported by GPU features
    >>> and not all software).
    >>>
    >>> The requirements for all this are listed here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_purevideo_requirements.html
    >>>
    >>> Now I meet or exceed all of that and I'm not seeing an effect. I
    >>> know from other peoples comments (especially on NVNews and Beyond3D)
    >>> that the hardware decoding performance has increased drastically
    >>> since the first 6x.xx driver release to support it and has been a
    >>> major factor for HTPC builders.
    >>>
    >>> Now I can't figure out if there's a registry setting missing from the
    >>> 78.03 drivers I'm using or what, but I'm not seeing a difference in
    >>> WMV HD decoding over my previous FX5700 (which only supported
    >>> deblocking in DVD players in VMR overlay).
    >>>
    >>> 720p content plays fine, but it still uses 60-70% CPU, which is what
    >>> an entirely software codec like x264 or Quicktime H.264 is like.
    >>

    >> http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/170 Maybe?
    >>

    > After disabling FFDShow completely and following the guide listed above,
    > I can get DVD playback at about 2-4% CPU usage and the "NVIDIA Decoder"
    > settings icon shows up (very nice deinterlacing). But...
    >
    > WMV HD playback is still bad. Still can't do 1080i without dropping
    > frames. And 720p is still fairly high CPU usage.

    A little update:

    I was finally able to find some .m2t videos (MPEG-2 transport streams)
    at 1080i and 1080p to test. Indeed the NVIDIA decoder is accelerating
    MPEG2 decoding now. I get roughly 40-50% CPU usage depending on the
    bitrate (6-10mbits/s). And the deinterlacing looks good on many clips.

    However WMV HD is still not visibly accelerated and all the trailers
    I've tried on the MS HD content site cannot playback at 1080i/p without
    dropped frames. All use 100% CPU. I'm not sure if it's just WM10 or what.

    You need the two patches from this page to enable hardware accelerated WMV
    HD decode acceleration:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=888656&SD=tech

    ( Note that 'tis still a beta ).

    "deimos" <duralisisNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have a 6600GT that's supposed to accelerate HD WMV and MPEG-2 playback,
    >but I can't seem to get it to work. I've even tried the PureVideo trial,
    >but even then WMV HD playback still uses 100% CPU and skips frames.
    >
    > So far I've been using the 1080i WMV-HD trailers. I don't know of any HD
    > MPEG2 to try out. 720p content plays back fairly easily and did so even
    > before. But it still uses a lot of CPU, moreso than a Divx or XVid with
    > full post processing or a DVD.
    >
    > Should 1080i playback be possible with acceleration on a XP 2500 Barton?
    > For reference, I'm using FW 78.03.

    Iam using a Mibile barton 2500 at 2.4 ghz and a 6600gt. And have no
    realy problems playing HD clips either 720p or 1080i/ Some of the high
    mbs/s ones struggle. But seemed to be fixed now after i did a full
    reinstall.

    I did have a problem with codecs so i did a reinstall. Some just did
    not like to be played in Mediaplayer 10. But worked fine in VLC
    player. So i would suggest play them in VLC player and they woukld
    play fine if they dont work in Mediaplayer :)

    My pc is connected to my 86cm WS HD TV an all i can say the picture is
    very very very nice :0

    Good luck and any questions please ask. Ill try to help.

    /ps i also tried the Nvidia Purvideo coded and on my system it used
    somthng liek 40% of the cpu time playing 1080i clips. But now that its
    time limit is up iam back to other codecs now :(

    Bye.

    No One Realy wrote:

    > Iam using a Mibile barton 2500 at 2.4 ghz and a 6600gt. And have no
    > realy problems playing HD clips either 720p or 1080i/ Some of the high
    > mbs/s ones struggle. But seemed to be fixed now after i did a full
    > reinstall.
    >
    > I did have a problem with codecs so i did a reinstall. Some just did
    > not like to be played in Mediaplayer 10. But worked fine in VLC
    > player. So i would suggest play them in VLC player and they woukld
    > play fine if they dont work in Mediaplayer :)
    >

    > My pc is connected to my 86cm WS HD TV an all i can say the picture is
    > very very very nice :0
    >
    > Good luck and any questions please ask. Ill try to help.
    >
    > /ps i also tried the Nvidia Purvideo coded and on my system it used
    > somthng liek 40% of the cpu time playing 1080i clips. But now that its
    > time limit is up iam back to other codecs now :(
    >
    > Bye.
    >

    > On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:53:33 -0500, deimos <duralisisNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>deimos wrote:

    >>>After disabling FFDShow completely and following the guide listed above,
    >>>I can get DVD playback at about 2-4% CPU usage and the "NVIDIA Decoder"
    >>>settings icon shows up (very nice deinterlacing). But...
    >>>
    >>>WMV HD playback is still bad. Still can't do 1080i without dropping
    >>>frames. And 720p is still fairly high CPU usage.
    >>
    >>A little update:
    >>
    >>I was finally able to find some .m2t videos (MPEG-2 transport streams)
    >>at 1080i and 1080p to test. Indeed the NVIDIA decoder is accelerating
    >>MPEG2 decoding now. I get roughly 40-50% CPU usage depending on the
    >>bitrate (6-10mbits/s). And the deinterlacing looks good on many clips.
    >>
    >>However WMV HD is still not visibly accelerated and all the trailers
    >>I've tried on the MS HD content site cannot playback at 1080i/p without
    >>dropped frames. All use 100% CPU. I'm not sure if it's just WM10 or what.

    I found the problem, the default WMP 10 install is a little broke:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;888656

    I guess I haven't done my automatic updates in a while. :)

Nvidia CPUs HD Graphics