Overheating 9800 Pro?

While I was running the C&C Generals: Zero Hour opening screen for
a couple of hours the display became completely corrupted but the game didn't
crash. I was still able to exit normally to the desktop. It's been unusually
hot lately so I was thinking this might have something to do with it. Would
fitting a large fan (say an old Pentium/K62 ball-bearing heatskin fan) to the
9800 Pro heatsink cool it more effectively than the tiny fan it ships with?

"Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message

" Would fitting a large fan (say an old Pentium/K62 ball-bearing heatskin
fan) to the 9800 Pro heatsink cool it more effectively than the tiny fan it
ships with? "

Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer: http://tinyurl.com/2aj45

9800Pros do have a shim, but I don't know if it's the same as the one on the
9500 Pro.
The old Pentium fan may work, but it might be hard to mount.

Here's a suggestion. First, find out whether it's the core or the memory
that's overheating. I don't know which 9800Pro you have, but many of them
don't have ramsinks (memory heatsinks). Get an overclocking tool like ATI
Tool and try underclocking you memory and run it. If the problem goes away,
consider adding ramsinks. If the problem persists, put it back to default
and try underclocking the core. If that takes care of it, remove the core's
HSF and see if the thermal compound has dried out, effectively becoming
useless. Whether it has or not, changing the compound may help. AS5 works
well. To clean the old stuff off the GPU, don't scrape it. Use a Q-tip and
try alcohol first. If that doesn't work, try lighter fluid (or goof-off,
same thing). If that doesn't work, try nail polish remover (a small amount
on the Q-tip). Always finish with alcohol and then a water damped paper
towel, then a dry one.

I'm not sure if "it's been unusually hot lately" means the card or the
weather. It you mean the card, this may help. If you mean the weather, you
might want to install a VGA Silencer and ramsinks.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com