changing display settings

Bax

I must be missing something incredibly obvious, but I can't figure out how
to increase my display resolution and still have it fill my screen.
I have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro and a Viewsonic G773 monitor. With these, I
should probably be able to run at 1280X1024, 32bpp. I'm currently running
at 1024X768, 32bpp, 85MHz refresh.
When I increase my resolution to anything above that, I end up viewing only
a portion of my Windows desktop. I move my mouse in any direction, and my
monitor "window" pans left, right, up or down to reveal the rest of the
desktop.
I've looked at my monitor's horiz/vert size/position settings, and at the
Windows desktop settings, but can't figure out how to see my whole desktop
at display settings above 1024X768.

Bax

Well, I guess I was mistaken about my monitor. It is older than I thought
(my how time flies), and apparently cannot handle such high resolutions. I
can go into the ATI controls and override the DDC information (whatever that
means), and get the desktop to size correctly. Most of my apps work OK.
But some (like Links and Flight Simulator 2004) cause my computer to lock up
at those settings. I guess I'll set it back to 1024X768 until I can afford a
new monitor.

Bax wrote:
> Well, I guess I was mistaken about my monitor. It is older than I thought
> (my how time flies), and apparently cannot handle such high resolutions.
> I can go into the ATI controls and override the DDC information (whatever

It's basically for telling the OS what the monitor is capable of.

> that means), and get the desktop to size correctly. Most of my apps work
> OK. But some (like Links and Flight Simulator 2004) cause my computer to
> lock up at those settings. I guess I'll set it back to 1024X768 until I
> can afford a new monitor.

Wrong resolution is unlikely to be the cause of your lockups.

Ben