LPX Board for a PB Legend 415CD

Hi,

I got my hands on an old Legend 415CD which I'd like to "punk up". The
thought of a 2GHz processor and a ton of memory in this nostalgic case is a
kick.

I've learned that I need an LPX board and was wondering if anyone has a good
resource for such a creature -- one that won't cost an arm and a leg.

Anyone?

TIA,

Rock On
8 answers Last reply
More about board legend 415cd
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "Rock On" <rockkon@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<RkGhc.39750$L31.30893@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I got my hands on an old Legend 415CD which I'd like to "punk up". The
    > thought of a 2GHz processor and a ton of memory in this nostalgic case is a
    > kick.
    >
    > I've learned that I need an LPX board and was wondering if anyone has a good
    > resource for such a creature -- one that won't cost an arm and a leg.
    >
    > Anyone?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Rock On

    BCM made some updated LPX boards using the Intel 810 chipset but they
    maxed out at around 1 ghz on a 100 fsb I think. I'm not sure if they
    still have those or not but any conversion you make will be pretty
    much high dollar.

    I have 3 of the PB towers A950 6x6 which will accept an ATX board.
    These have been updated with various boards and processors up to a XP
    2500+ Barton with 512 mb of DDR PC2700 and WD 80 gb hard drives. They
    still look stock, like a 233 mhz system.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "Rock On" <rockkon@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I got my hands on an old Legend 415CD which I'd like to "punk up".
    The
    > thought of a 2GHz processor and a ton of memory in this nostalgic
    case is a
    > kick.
    >
    > I've learned that I need an LPX board and was wondering if anyone
    has a good
    > resource for such a creature -- one that won't cost an arm and a
    leg.

    > Anyone?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Rock On

    I am glad to see you decided to post that question here. Ben and
    Metronid and Anthony etc. will have suggestions as well as my pal
    BR549 who already answered your question.

    I have a suggestion in another matter which I will make at the Yahoo
    Group.

    Elector
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message

    > "Rock On" <rockkon@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I got my hands on an old Legend 415CD which I'd like to "punk up".
    > The
    > > thought of a 2GHz processor and a ton of memory in this nostalgic
    > case is a
    > > kick.
    > >
    > > I've learned that I need an LPX board and was wondering if anyone
    > has a good
    > > resource for such a creature -- one that won't cost an arm and a
    > leg.
    > >
    > > Anyone?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > >
    > > Rock On
    > >

    > I am glad to see you decided to post that question here. Ben and
    > Metronid and Anthony etc. will have suggestions as well as my pal
    > BR549 who already answered your question.
    >
    > I have a suggestion in another matter which I will make at the Yahoo
    > Group.
    >
    > Elector

    Thanks for the tip! You guys, well.... Rock!

    Rock On
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "Rock On" <rockkon@OhNoUdont.net> wrote in message

    > "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rock On" <rockkon@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I got my hands on an old Legend 415CD which I'd like to "punk up".
    > > The
    > > > thought of a 2GHz processor and a ton of memory in this nostalgic
    > > case is a
    > > > kick.
    > > >
    > > > I've learned that I need an LPX board and was wondering if anyone
    > > has a good
    > > > resource for such a creature -- one that won't cost an arm and a
    > > leg.
    > > >
    > > > Anyone?
    > > >
    > > > TIA,
    > > >
    > > > Rock On
    > > >

    > > I am glad to see you decided to post that question here. Ben and
    > > Metronid and Anthony etc. will have suggestions as well as my pal
    > > BR549 who already answered your question.
    > >
    > > I have a suggestion in another matter which I will make at the Yahoo
    > > Group.
    > >
    > > Elector
    > >

    > Thanks for the tip! You guys, well.... Rock!
    >
    > Rock On

    Check out www.bcmcom.com. Navigate to LPX boards. You're there! Rock On!

  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "BR549" <BR549@callme.net> wrote in message

    > "Rock On" <rockkon@OhNoUdont.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Rock On" <rockkon@verizon.net> wrote in message

    > > > The
    > > > case is a

    > > > has a good
    > > > leg.

    > > > I am glad to see you decided to post that question here. Ben and
    > > > Metronid and Anthony etc. will have suggestions as well as my pal
    > > > BR549 who already answered your question.
    > > >
    > > > I have a suggestion in another matter which I will make at the Yahoo
    > > > Group.
    > > >
    > > > Elector
    > > >

    > > Thanks for the tip! You guys, well.... Rock!
    > >
    > > Rock On
    >
    > Check out www.bcmcom.com. Navigate to LPX boards. You're there! Rock On!

    Thanks for the link BR, I'll check it out for sure.

    Rock On
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    > "BR549" <BR549@callme.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rock On" <rockkon@OhNoUdont.net> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message

    >> > Thanks for the tip! You guys, well.... Rock!
    >> >
    >> > Rock On
    >>
    >> Check out www.bcmcom.com. Navigate to LPX boards. You're there!
    Rock
    >> On!
    >
    > Thanks for the link BR, I'll check it out for sure.
    >
    > Rock On

    Try http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/ they have a p3 npx board
    for
    19.00
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    NPX is different from LPX.

    LPX was the original low-profile desktop quasi-standard developed jointly by
    Wstern Digital (!!!) and Intel. Yes, WD once dabbled in motherboard
    manufacturing. There are lots and lots of variations of LPX, including edge
    connectors, power supply connectors, placement of connectors on the back of the
    motherboard. The true and standard LPX motherboards have a riser card slot
    connector EXACTLY like the old EISA slot, and a pair of baby-AT power
    connectors.

    The NPX motherboard has the edge connector and slides horizontally into the
    riser card slot, using an ATX power connector. NPX was devised by Intel and
    anything made by Intel conformed to their NPX standard. So did a few other NPX
    boards. On the other hand, Digital (DEC) used an NPX-like motherboard-and-riser
    card layout. Each and every different DEC NPX model used a different physical
    edge connector. No standardization there! ... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:30:30 GMT, Todd <trob@penn.com> wrote:

    >"Rock On" <rockkon@OhNoUdont.net> wrote in
    >

    >> "BR549" <BR549@callme.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Rock On" <rockkon@OhNoUdont.net> wrote in message

    >"punk

    >and

    >and
    >pal

    >>> Check out www.bcmcom.com. Navigate to LPX boards. You're there!
    >Rock
    >>> On!
    >>
    >> Thanks for the link BR, I'll check it out for sure.
    >>
    >> Rock On
    >>

    >Try http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/ they have a p3 npx board
    >for
    >19.00
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Actually the LPX design was kind of or sort of a good idea
    It allowed for a low profile case

    The are some shortcomings to any design
    Always some type of compromise

    The riser card being perpendicular to the board made the first
    card in the slot rather close to some components
    This presents less of a problem if a full size card is not in that place

    The cards being parallel to each other causes some heat concerns
    Then again theses same concerns are seen in a tower atx

    In the tower atx the cards are not parallel to the mainboard giving a
    theoretical
    boost to heat dissipation over the PLX maybe

    I would think
    I can be wrong
    Have been many time

    The ATX would be a better system if the cards were oriented in an upward
    position
    Acess would be through the top for cabling
    This would no be pretty
    It is best to leave the ugly things to the rear

    It would have been nice from the beginning for the main bus
    to be accessible without opening the unit
    Maybe each card should have had a male or female poin conncetor
    and than the user could have plugged in from the back with the card

    USB has somewhat done about what my thought above was
    USB nic is great

    Ramble Ramble Ramble

Packard Bell Processors Computers