LPX Board for a PB Legend 415CD

Hi,

I got my hands on an old Legend 415CD which I'd like to "punk up". The
thought of a 2GHz processor and a ton of memory in this nostalgic case is a
kick.

I've learned that I need an LPX board and was wondering if anyone has a good
resource for such a creature -- one that won't cost an arm and a leg.

Anyone?

TIA,

Rock On

br549

"Rock On" <rockkon@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<RkGhc.39750$L31.30893@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>...
> Hi,
>
> I got my hands on an old Legend 415CD which I'd like to "punk up". The
> thought of a 2GHz processor and a ton of memory in this nostalgic case is a
> kick.
>
> I've learned that I need an LPX board and was wondering if anyone has a good
> resource for such a creature -- one that won't cost an arm and a leg.
>
> Anyone?
>
> TIA,
>
> Rock On

BCM made some updated LPX boards using the Intel 810 chipset but they
maxed out at around 1 ghz on a 100 fsb I think. I'm not sure if they
still have those or not but any conversion you make will be pretty
much high dollar.

I have 3 of the PB towers A950 6x6 which will accept an ATX board.
These have been updated with various boards and processors up to a XP
2500+ Barton with 512 mb of DDR PC2700 and WD 80 gb hard drives. They
still look stock, like a 233 mhz system.

"Rock On" <rockkon@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I got my hands on an old Legend 415CD which I'd like to "punk up".
The
> thought of a 2GHz processor and a ton of memory in this nostalgic
case is a
> kick.
>
> I've learned that I need an LPX board and was wondering if anyone
has a good
> resource for such a creature -- one that won't cost an arm and a
leg.

> Anyone?
>
> TIA,
>
> Rock On

I am glad to see you decided to post that question here. Ben and
Metronid and Anthony etc. will have suggestions as well as my pal
BR549 who already answered your question.

I have a suggestion in another matter which I will make at the Yahoo
Group.

Elector

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> "Rock On" <rockkon@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I got my hands on an old Legend 415CD which I'd like to "punk up".
> The
> > thought of a 2GHz processor and a ton of memory in this nostalgic
> case is a
> > kick.
> >
> > I've learned that I need an LPX board and was wondering if anyone
> has a good
> > resource for such a creature -- one that won't cost an arm and a
> leg.
> >
> > Anyone?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Rock On
> >

> I am glad to see you decided to post that question here. Ben and
> Metronid and Anthony etc. will have suggestions as well as my pal
> BR549 who already answered your question.
>
> I have a suggestion in another matter which I will make at the Yahoo
> Group.
>
> Elector

Thanks for the tip! You guys, well.... Rock!

Rock On

br549

Check out www.bcmcom.com. Navigate to LPX boards. You're there! Rock On!

"BR549" <BR549@callme.net> wrote in message

> "Rock On" <rockkon@OhNoUdont.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Rock On" <rockkon@verizon.net> wrote in message

> > > The
> > > case is a

> > > has a good
> > > leg.

> > > I am glad to see you decided to post that question here. Ben and
> > > Metronid and Anthony etc. will have suggestions as well as my pal
> > > BR549 who already answered your question.
> > >
> > > I have a suggestion in another matter which I will make at the Yahoo
> > > Group.
> > >
> > > Elector
> > >

> > Thanks for the tip! You guys, well.... Rock!
> >
> > Rock On
>
> Check out www.bcmcom.com. Navigate to LPX boards. You're there! Rock On!

Thanks for the link BR, I'll check it out for sure.

Rock On

Todd

> "BR549" <BR549@callme.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Rock On" <rockkon@OhNoUdont.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message

>> > Thanks for the tip! You guys, well.... Rock!
>> >
>> > Rock On
>>
>> Check out www.bcmcom.com. Navigate to LPX boards. You're there!
Rock
>> On!
>
> Thanks for the link BR, I'll check it out for sure.
>
> Rock On

Try http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/ they have a p3 npx board
for
19.00

NPX is different from LPX.

LPX was the original low-profile desktop quasi-standard developed jointly by
Wstern Digital (!!!) and Intel. Yes, WD once dabbled in motherboard
manufacturing. There are lots and lots of variations of LPX, including edge
connectors, power supply connectors, placement of connectors on the back of the
motherboard. The true and standard LPX motherboards have a riser card slot
connector EXACTLY like the old EISA slot, and a pair of baby-AT power
connectors.

The NPX motherboard has the edge connector and slides horizontally into the
riser card slot, using an ATX power connector. NPX was devised by Intel and
anything made by Intel conformed to their NPX standard. So did a few other NPX
boards. On the other hand, Digital (DEC) used an NPX-like motherboard-and-riser
card layout. Each and every different DEC NPX model used a different physical
edge connector. No standardization there! ... Ben Myers

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:30:30 GMT, Todd <trob@penn.com> wrote:

>"Rock On" <rockkon@OhNoUdont.net> wrote in
>

>> "BR549" <BR549@callme.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Rock On" <rockkon@OhNoUdont.net> wrote in message

>"punk

>and

>and
>pal

>>> Check out www.bcmcom.com. Navigate to LPX boards. You're there!
>Rock
>>> On!
>>
>> Thanks for the link BR, I'll check it out for sure.
>>
>> Rock On
>>

>Try http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/ they have a p3 npx board
>for
>19.00

Actually the LPX design was kind of or sort of a good idea
It allowed for a low profile case

The are some shortcomings to any design
Always some type of compromise

The riser card being perpendicular to the board made the first
card in the slot rather close to some components
This presents less of a problem if a full size card is not in that place

The cards being parallel to each other causes some heat concerns
Then again theses same concerns are seen in a tower atx

In the tower atx the cards are not parallel to the mainboard giving a
theoretical
boost to heat dissipation over the PLX maybe

I would think
I can be wrong
Have been many time

The ATX would be a better system if the cards were oriented in an upward
position
Acess would be through the top for cabling
This would no be pretty
It is best to leave the ugly things to the rear

It would have been nice from the beginning for the main bus
to be accessible without opening the unit
Maybe each card should have had a male or female poin conncetor
and than the user could have plugged in from the back with the card

USB has somewhat done about what my thought above was
USB nic is great

Ramble Ramble Ramble