Best "AIW" value in the last 18 months?

Barry

I have an original AIW Radeon and will be upgrading my computer in a bit. I
really am not an avid gamer anymore (sniff sniff) but still want something
decent enough to play Doom3 when it comes out. Any idea what card would
limp by with Doom3 et al and still offer remote control and AIW
functionality?

connor

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:47:19 -0500, "Barry" <rgvac@thoughtgarden.com>
wrote:

>I have an original AIW Radeon and will be upgrading my computer in a bit. I
>really am not an avid gamer anymore (sniff sniff) but still want something
>decent enough to play Doom3 when it comes out. Any idea what card would
>limp by with Doom3 et al and still offer remote control and AIW
>functionality?

I just upgraded my original AIW Radeon to the AIW 9600xt. Awesome
card. I've got FarCry to just about the best quality and it runs
smooth. As well as COD, UT2004, etc. I couldnt wait for a computer
show tho...had to have one NOW. heh. I just saw where I've could have
bought an AIW 9800pro for about $40 more.
Ah well. All the games I've mentioned above seem like brand new to me
with the quality graphics this card produces.
TV quality is great as well. Comes with the remote wonder version 2.
No half-life 2 coupon tho...

jr

Why is it that there aren't any 256M AIWs? Or would I be better off buying
the AIW unit by itself? tnx...

"Barry" <rgvac@thoughtgarden.com> wrote in message
> I have an original AIW Radeon and will be upgrading my computer in a bit.
> really am not an avid gamer anymore (sniff sniff) but still want something
> decent enough to play Doom3 when it comes out. Any idea what card would
> limp by with Doom3 et al and still offer remote control and AIW
> functionality?

Gonzo

Unless you can find an AIW for next to nothing, I would buy a stand alone
Wonder product.

Why? Because HDTV will be the norm in less than two years so your AIW will
soon be obsolete and incompatible.

I have an AIW8500DV and now wish I had purchased a TV Wonder and 9600
instead. ATI will also be releasing an HDTV Wonder card. Others are
arleady making HDTV stand alone cards but they are a tad expensive.

I also have a Hitachi HDTV 50 inch and let me tell you...once you see HDTV
you will not go back to plain old standard defenition.

"JR" <over@area51.com> wrote in message
> Why is it that there aren't any 256M AIWs? Or would I be better off buying
> the AIW unit by itself? tnx...
>

> "Barry" <rgvac@thoughtgarden.com> wrote in message
> > I have an original AIW Radeon and will be upgrading my computer in a
bit.
> > really am not an avid gamer anymore (sniff sniff) but still want
something
> > decent enough to play Doom3 when it comes out. Any idea what card would
> > limp by with Doom3 et al and still offer remote control and AIW
> > functionality?

Yeh, agree with you completely....

Getting this stuff from my comcast cable, digital, hd....single line for
your broadband and cable tv...

A plazma tv from my wife, hd lcd tv/cpu monitor for me.

my 2 cents