Far Cry Performance?

How does your card do with Far Cry? I have a 9800 Pro and it seems to lag
on pretty high settings. I did the autodetect thing. I wonder if only
having 512MB RAM is the problem. This game seems to be a pig.
30 answers Last reply
More about performance

    "Name" <name@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How does your card do with Far Cry? I have a 9800 Pro and it seems to lag
    > on pretty high settings. I did the autodetect thing. I wonder if only
    > having 512MB RAM is the problem. This game seems to be a pig.

    I've been able to play mostly lag-less on a 9700 Pro and a P4 3.06Ghz with
    1GB of ram. My settings were medium textures, water ultra high, and
    everything else very high. I've heard that increasing the AGP to 256 helps
    improve it a little bit. I tried it seems like it improved a little bit.
    Other things to try would be to close all unnecessary programs like the
    antivirus, adware protection, all other useless things that run in the
    background. You could also try freeing some memory by disabling unnecessary
    services in windows (only 2000 or XP) (Try http://www.blackviper.com/ for
    that.)

    --
    NoRemorse
    "Expect me when you see me."

    "NoRemorse" <thebummer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Name" <name@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > How does your card do with Far Cry? I have a 9800 Pro and it seems to
    lag
    > > on pretty high settings. I did the autodetect thing. I wonder if only
    > > having 512MB RAM is the problem. This game seems to be a pig.
    >
    > I've been able to play mostly lag-less on a 9700 Pro and a P4 3.06Ghz with
    > 1GB of ram. My settings were medium textures, water ultra high, and
    > everything else very high. I've heard that increasing the AGP to 256 helps
    > improve it a little bit. I tried it seems like it improved a little bit.
    > Other things to try would be to close all unnecessary programs like the
    > antivirus, adware protection, all other useless things that run in the
    > background. You could also try freeing some memory by disabling
    unnecessary
    > services in windows (only 2000 or XP) (Try http://www.blackviper.com/ for
    > that.)
    >
    > --
    > NoRemorse
    > "Expect me when you see me."

    Same settings here as No Remorse. Same cpu and vid card and a gig of
    RAM.Everything highest setting except for the medium textures. Did the whole
    game with no lag.

    "Name" <name@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e6Kac.154983$po.909787@attbi_s52>...
    > How does your card do with Far Cry? I have a 9800 Pro and it seems to lag
    > on pretty high settings. I did the autodetect thing. I wonder if only
    > having 512MB RAM is the problem. This game seems to be a pig.

    Well, I can say that the 64MB video card requirement is definite. My
    Thinkpad T40 which only has a 32MB Mobility Radeon won't even load the
    demo. No splash screen, no menu screen, nothing. Just ignores me if I
    double-click the icon.

    "Name" <name@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How does your card do with Far Cry? I have a 9800 Pro and it seems to lag
    > on pretty high settings. I did the autodetect thing. I wonder if only
    > having 512MB RAM is the problem. This game seems to be a pig.

    Have only played the two demos so far, but ran smooth on medium textures
    except water on very high. When set on all high had some lagging issues.

    AMD 2500
    512 ram
    9800 Pro w/cat 3.10, BIOS AGP at 256m, ATI settings to application
    preference
    Win2K pro sp4

    I'm thinking about putting in anther 512 stick of ram.

    "Name" <name@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How does your card do with Far Cry? I have a 9800 Pro and it seems to lag
    > on pretty high settings. I did the autodetect thing. I wonder if only
    > having 512MB RAM is the problem. This game seems to be a pig.

    I used autodetect and it set all to medium and then I set AA to low and it's
    running fine - not tried setting anything higher. My system is an XP2800
    Barton (o/c @ 2.16Mhz), 1Gb OEM ram and a 9800 Pro 128Mb.

    --
    TP

    "Taipan" <SPAMTRAP@emptyhole.com> wrote in

    > "Name" <name@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> How does your card do with Far Cry? I have a 9800 Pro and
    >> it seems to lag on pretty high settings. I did the
    >> autodetect thing. I wonder if only having 512MB RAM is
    >> the problem. This game seems to be a pig.
    >>

    > I used autodetect and it set all to medium and then I set
    > AA to low and it's running fine - not tried setting
    > anything higher. My system is an XP2800 Barton (o/c @
    > 2.16Mhz), 1Gb OEM ram and a 9800 Pro 128Mb.
    >
    > --
    > TP

    You don't say what resolution/AA preferences you have, but
    I'm running on a non o/c XP2800, with 1gb ram & a 9700 Pro,
    at 1024 x 768, with everything set to max (no AA, but I've
    never bothered with that) and it runs well. So crank it up,
    especially as the outdoor environment has a lot more detail
    with environmental quality at the top setting.

    "Lithurge" <bogorfspam@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > "Taipan" <SPAMTRAP@emptyhole.com> wrote in
    >
    > > "Name" <name@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> How does your card do with Far Cry? I have a 9800 Pro and
    > >> it seems to lag on pretty high settings. I did the
    > >> autodetect thing. I wonder if only having 512MB RAM is
    > >> the problem. This game seems to be a pig.
    > >>

    > > I used autodetect and it set all to medium and then I set
    > > AA to low and it's running fine - not tried setting
    > > anything higher. My system is an XP2800 Barton (o/c @
    > > 2.16Mhz), 1Gb OEM ram and a 9800 Pro 128Mb.
    > >
    > > --
    > > TP
    > >

    > You don't say what resolution/AA preferences you have, but
    > I'm running on a non o/c XP2800, with 1gb ram & a 9700 Pro,
    > at 1024 x 768, with everything set to max (no AA, but I've
    > never bothered with that) and it runs well. So crank it up,
    > especially as the outdoor environment has a lot more detail
    > with environmental quality at the top setting.

    Apologies.. I left it at the default resolution of 1024 x 768 - I set the AA
    to Low in-game though the performance sliders in the ATI Control Panel
    prefs for DX and OpenGL are in the middle.

    --
    TP

    On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 01:19:06 GMT, "Name" <name@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >How does your card do with Far Cry? I have a 9800 Pro and it seems to lag
    >on pretty high settings. I did the autodetect thing. I wonder if only
    >having 512MB RAM is the problem. This game seems to be a pig.

    It is actually not a pig. The engine is VERY efficient indeed.
    However, Crytek have given you free reign to turn on sufficient
    options to turn the frame-rate into a slide show, especially if you
    play with the Customize settings in the Configuration Tool,
    accessible from the Start Menu. So, if you are masochistic,
    then you are free to hang yourself ( metaphorically, of course)
    Also, if you wish to buy/play with the RSN-available NV40
    (with PS3.0 shaders), the current V1.1 patch updates the game
    to support this new GPU.

    John Lewis

    > "Lithurge" <bogorfspam@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> "Taipan" <SPAMTRAP@emptyhole.com> wrote in
    >>
    >> > "Name" <name@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >>

    >> > I used autodetect and it set all to medium and then I
    >> > set AA to low and it's running fine - not tried setting
    >> > anything higher. My system is an XP2800 Barton (o/c @
    >> > 2.16Mhz), 1Gb OEM ram and a 9800 Pro 128Mb.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > TP
    >> >

    >> You don't say what resolution/AA preferences you have, but
    >> I'm running on a non o/c XP2800, with 1gb ram & a 9700
    >> Pro, at 1024 x 768, with everything set to max (no AA, but
    >> I've never bothered with that) and it runs well. So crank
    >> it up, especially as the outdoor environment has a lot
    >> more detail with environmental quality at the top setting.
    >
    > Apologies.. I left it at the default resolution of 1024 x
    > 768 - I set the AA to Low in-game though the performance
    > sliders in the ATI Control Panel prefs for DX and OpenGL
    > are in the middle.
    >
    > --
    > TP

    No need to apologise. Just give it a go at highest settings
    to see the true beauty of the game :)

    I'd love to know what sort of rig this game will detect as a
    high to very high setting, as nearly every post I've seen
    with similar/faster rigs to ours it detects as medium.

    i run an average of 45-50fps on a P4-3.06
    with a 9800Pro 128 and a Gig of ram,takes
    about 600Mb of it... everything set to
    highest with AA off since it craches
    my games, maybe a driver issue, see the
    "got AA issue" post.

    According to the readme file it takes a 3G or higher processor to qualify
    for "high" settings.

    ==================
    Due to an excessive amount of spam, if you want to send me an e-mail put
    eniplA in the subject if you want me to see it.
    ==================

    On 2 Apr 2004 16:49:34 GMT, Lithurge <bogorfspam@btopenworld.com>
    wrote:

    >"Taipan" <SPAMTRAP@emptyhole.com> wrote in
    >
    >> "Lithurge" <bogorfspam@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >>> "Taipan" <SPAMTRAP@emptyhole.com> wrote in

    >>> You don't say what resolution/AA preferences you have, but
    >>> I'm running on a non o/c XP2800, with 1gb ram & a 9700
    >>> Pro, at 1024 x 768, with everything set to max (no AA, but
    >>> I've never bothered with that) and it runs well. So crank
    >>> it up, especially as the outdoor environment has a lot
    >>> more detail with environmental quality at the top setting.
    >>
    >> Apologies.. I left it at the default resolution of 1024 x
    >> 768 - I set the AA to Low in-game though the performance
    >> sliders in the ATI Control Panel prefs for DX and OpenGL
    >> are in the middle.
    >>
    >> --
    >> TP
    >>

    >No need to apologise. Just give it a go at highest settings
    >to see the true beauty of the game :)
    >
    >I'd love to know what sort of rig this game will detect as a
    >high to very high setting, as nearly every post I've seen
    >with similar/faster rigs to ours it detects as medium.

    Mine was detected as very high on all settings that it auto detects.
    System is P4 3.2 1 gig hyper x in dual mode and a ATI 9800 XT 256
    Runs really nice btw.

    Steve

    Name <name@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > How does your card do with Far Cry? I have a 9800 Pro and it seems to lag
    > on pretty high settings. I did the autodetect thing. I wonder if only
    > having 512MB RAM is the problem. This game seems to be a pig.

    Mine is sort of choppy on the outdoor levels like the islands and jungles.
    I have only gone to the first demo level. The indoor levels like the
    carrier are VERY smooth. I play at 1152x864 with everything cranked up
    except low FSAA (considering to turn this off completely soon) and 4 for
    anisotropic. This is on my Athlon XP 2200+ with Windows XP Professional
    SP1 (all updates), 1 GB of RAM, and ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128 MB). You can
    see my full game system configuration at:
    http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ...

    Any tips to improve the outdoor environments' FPS without upgrading CPU
    and sacrificing some details? And yes, I close all my programs and all
    the newest drivers. :)
    --
    "You'd think we could just attract ants like normal people."
    --Wolverine (X-Men:TAS)
    | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup/mailing
    ( ) list.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Ah or an AMD64 2.2 GHz?

    "Alpine" <whitegsd@cox.net> wrote in message
    > According to the readme file it takes a 3G or higher processor to qualify
    > for "high" settings.

    > ==================
    > Due to an excessive amount of spam, if you want to send me an e-mail put
    > eniplA in the subject if you want me to see it.

    > ==================
    >

    > "Lithurge" <bogorfspam@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > > "Taipan" <SPAMTRAP@emptyhole.com> wrote in
    > >
    > > > "Lithurge" <bogorfspam@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

    > > > Apologies.. I left it at the default resolution of 1024 x
    > > > 768 - I set the AA to Low in-game though the performance
    > > > sliders in the ATI Control Panel prefs for DX and OpenGL
    > > > are in the middle.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > TP
    > > >

    > > No need to apologise. Just give it a go at highest settings
    > > to see the true beauty of the game :)
    > >
    > > I'd love to know what sort of rig this game will detect as a
    > > high to very high setting, as nearly every post I've seen
    > > with similar/faster rigs to ours it detects as medium.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    far cry uses 64bit?!...didn't know that or are you just saying a 2.2
    64 will do a better job than a 3g 32? Is the 64bit series a
    video(multimedia) 'enhancing type processor? Guess I need to do some
    more reading.

    ======
    > > ==================
    > > Due to an excessive amount of spam, if you want to send me an
    e-mail put
    > > eniplA in the subject if you want me to see it.

    ======
    > > ==================
    > >

    > > "Lithurge" <bogorfspam@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > > > "Taipan" <SPAMTRAP@emptyhole.com> wrote in

    > > > No need to apologise. Just give it a go at highest settings
    > > > to see the true beauty of the game :)
    > > >
    > > > I'd love to know what sort of rig this game will detect as a
    > > > high to very high setting, as nearly every post I've seen
    > > > with similar/faster rigs to ours it detects as medium.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Alpine" <whitegsd@cox.net> wrote in

    > According to the readme file it takes a 3G or higher
    > processor to qualify for "high" settings.

    Readme's are for wimps ;-)
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    SLB <lakerfan69@yahoo.com> wrote in

    >>I'd love to know what sort of rig this game will detect as
    >>a high to very high setting, as nearly every post I've seen
    >>with similar/faster rigs to ours it detects as medium.
    >

    > Mine was detected as very high on all settings that it
    > auto detects.
    > System is P4 3.2 1 gig hyper x in dual mode and a ATI 9800
    > XT 256 Runs really nice btw.
    >
    > Steve

    That'll fit with Alpine's post. What does it set the AA and
    the other one I can never remember, but it affects
    performance too?
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On 5 Apr 2004 17:29:48 GMT, Lithurge <bogorfspam@btopenworld.com>
    wrote:

    >SLB <lakerfan69@yahoo.com> wrote in
    >

    >>>I'd love to know what sort of rig this game will detect as
    >>>a high to very high setting, as nearly every post I've seen
    >>>with similar/faster rigs to ours it detects as medium.
    >>

    >> Mine was detected as very high on all settings that it
    >> auto detects.
    >> System is P4 3.2 1 gig hyper x in dual mode and a ATI 9800
    >> XT 256 Runs really nice btw.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >
    >That'll fit with Alpine's post. What does it set the AA and
    >the other one I can never remember, but it affects
    >performance too?

    AA i dont think is autodetected but i set it to low from the get go.
    Texture filter quality is set to trilinear (auto detected)

    Steve
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 16:09:25 GMT, "Bill L" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >Ah or an AMD64 2.2 GHz?

    No advantage ( if you mean 64 bit )

    Sign up for the 64-bit version of Far Cry (free download, when
    available) at www.amd.com/farcry. Then you can come back and
    shout about your processor.

    John Lewis

    >"Alpine" <whitegsd@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> According to the readme file it takes a 3G or higher processor to qualify
    >> for "high" settings.
    >>
    >> --

    >> ==================
    >> Due to an excessive amount of spam, if you want to send me an e-mail put
    >> eniplA in the subject if you want me to see it.

    >> ==================
    >>

    >> "Lithurge" <bogorfspam@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> > "Taipan" <SPAMTRAP@emptyhole.com> wrote in

    >> > No need to apologise. Just give it a go at highest settings
    >> > to see the true beauty of the game :)
    >> >
    >> > I'd love to know what sort of rig this game will detect as a
    >> > high to very high setting, as nearly every post I've seen
    >> > with similar/faster rigs to ours it detects as medium.

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 14:31:22 -0500, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    >Name <name@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> How does your card do with Far Cry? I have a 9800 Pro and it seems to lag
    >> on pretty high settings. I did the autodetect thing. I wonder if only
    >> having 512MB RAM is the problem. This game seems to be a pig.
    >
    >Mine is sort of choppy on the outdoor levels like the islands and jungles.
    >I have only gone to the first demo level. The indoor levels like the
    >carrier are VERY smooth. I play at 1152x864 with everything cranked up
    >except low FSAA (considering to turn this off completely soon) and 4 for
    >anisotropic.

    Turn off Aniso or set lower for less choppiness at your chosen
    resolution Also, do not force any filtering in the driver. Leave it
    all to the application.

    You HAVE to experiment if you are endeavoring to optimally
    match your specific hardware to the game-engine and Crytek
    puts all that experimental power in the user's hands. Especially with
    the Customize Option in the Configuration Tool, where you can
    overide individual parameters in any of the global graphics settings.

    John Lewis

    > This is on my Athlon XP 2200+ with Windows XP Professional
    >SP1 (all updates), 1 GB of RAM, and ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128 MB). You can
    >see my full game system configuration at:
    >http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ...
    >
    >Any tips to improve the outdoor environments' FPS without upgrading CPU
    >and sacrificing some details? And yes, I close all my programs and all
    >the newest drivers. :)
    >--
    > "You'd think we could just attract ants like normal people."
    > --Wolverine (X-Men:TAS)
    > /\___/\
    > / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant) @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    >| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    > \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup/mailing
    > ( ) list.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Just got the demo. I've always had (comparatively) low 3DMark scores
    but this game runs full whack with everything turned up. Looks pretty
    good.
    --

    Julian Richards
    computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

    XP Home
    L7S7A2 motherboard
    Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines with Omega drivers
    1 GB RAM
    10 GB + 80 GB HDs
    CD+DVD/CDRW drives
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 14:43:12 +0100, Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk>
    wrote:

    What's "Far Cry"?

    >Just got the demo. I've always had (comparatively) low 3DMark scores
    >but this game runs full whack with everything turned up. Looks pretty
    >good.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 15:13:30 GMT, Robert P Drake
    <skull&bones@bush.net> wrote:

    >What's "Far Cry"?

    The latest game to make people buy new graphics cards. The demo is for
    download.

    --

    Julian Richards
    computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

    XP Home
    L7S7A2 motherboard
    Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines with Omega drivers
    1 GB RAM
    10 GB + 80 GB HDs
    CD+DVD/CDRW drives
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    How to you set Far Cry to show framerates?

    Thx!

    "Julian Richards" <see@sig.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 15:13:30 GMT, Robert P Drake
    > <skull&bones@bush.net> wrote:
    >
    > >What's "Far Cry"?
    >
    > The latest game to make people buy new graphics cards. The demo is for
    > download.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 16:41:46 GMT, "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1>
    wrote:

    ||How to you set Far Cry to show framerates?
    ||Thx!

    Use the console ( ` ) and then type:

    \r_displayinfo 1
    \r_displayinfo 0

    Pluvious

    ||"Julian Richards" <see@sig.co.uk> wrote in message

    ||> The latest game to make people buy new graphics cards. The demo is for
    ||> download.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    wrote:

    >How to you set Far Cry to show framerates?

    I don't know if you can in the game, use Fraps instead.
    please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 16:41:46 GMT, "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >How to you set Far Cry to show framerates?
    >
    > I don't know if you can in the game, use Fraps instead.

    Fraps?

    Isn't that the term they use to measure the loudness of a whoopie cushion?
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 16:55:54 +0100, Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk>
    wrote:

    Would you be so kind as to direct me to where I could download this?

    >On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 15:13:30 GMT, Robert P Drake
    ><skull&bones@bush.net> wrote:
    >
    >>What's "Far Cry"?
    >
    >The latest game to make people buy new graphics cards. The demo is for
    >download.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:09:01 GMT, Pluvious <Pluvious@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 16:41:46 GMT, "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1>
    >wrote:
    >
    >||How to you set Far Cry to show framerates?
    >||Thx!
    >
    >Use the console ( ` ) and then type:
    >
    >\r_displayinfo 1
    >\r_displayinfo 0

    I might give that a go, although to my eyes, framerate is "enough".
    --

    Julian Richards
    computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

    XP Home
    L7S7A2 motherboard
    Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines with Omega drivers
    1 GB RAM
    10 GB + 80 GB HDs
    CD+DVD/CDRW drives
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 21:10:28 GMT, Robert P Drake
    <skull&bones@bush.net> wrote:

    >Would you be so kind as to direct me to where I could download this?

    Google "Far Cry" and choose a close server. In my case, start download
    and go to bed.
    --

    Julian Richards
    computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

    XP Home
    L7S7A2 motherboard
    Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines with Omega drivers
    1 GB RAM
    10 GB + 80 GB HDs
    CD+DVD/CDRW drives

Radeon Performance ATI Graphics