I am a newbie to this stuff, so bear with me. Is there any reason that i couldn

doctorcj

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I am a newbie to this stuff, so bear with me. Is there any reason that i couldn't or shouldn't use an ethernet connection for my laptop to tv?? I have a toshiba satellite notebook and a 2006 Toshiba Regza TV with ethernet for iThink (which i've never used). The goal is to watch shows and see photos and videos thru my wireless internet connection of the laptop, on our tv. Thanks. CJ

Draz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
If you want to show whatever is on your Laptop on your TV, you need a HDMI to HDMI wire. If you do not have a HDMI input for the TV or the Laptop, you need a VGA to HDMI or a VGA to VGA wire. Make sure your TV has a HDMI, if it does and your Laptop does as well you need to purchase one single HDMI wire. A used one can cost about $5-7 on ebay, $30-70 in stores. If your Laptop has a VGA input and the TV has a HDMI, purchase a VGA-HDMI wire.

phung1s

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
to clarify, your choice here is solely determined by the outputs of your laptop and the inputs of your television. I'm not familiar with iThink. Your laptop might have, as Draz noted, an hdmi out or a vga out. It could also have s-video or maybe even dvi. if i remember correctly hdmi>dvi>vga>s-vid/composite as far as resolution goes. but hdmi and dvi, being digital, will be far superior to analog connections. and since ur on a laptop u can send audio via hdmi to your tv speakers.

-what model regza do u have?
-is the ethernet connection meant for getting the TV on your network or directly connecting to a data source?