My 6-year-old wanted to have a drive and a run around, but CJ and the
language on the radio stations are just too foul-mouthed for me to be happy
letting him loose on them...

So I started up VC for him! He's having a whale of a time - but as I'm
watching over his shoulder (I wouldn't let him play unsupervised) it's
surprising how "cartoony" VC seems. It never occurred to me when playing,
but now that I've seen the realism of SA, VC seems a bit too much like a
game!

When I can crowbar him away from my PC, I'm going to do a "peaceful circle"
of both, perhaps in a Maverick - get my own index of how much bigger SA is
compared to VC. I'm guessing that the whole of VC is only marginally smaller
than LS - which (if you ignore the inland waterways and relatively sparse
"countryside" in SA) makes SA only about three times the size of VC.

I fired up VC recently and the whole thing looked and felt rather
agricultural compared to SA.

It's the odd looking cars (the wheels stick out!), the bad animation
and the general pastel flatness of VC.

At the time I did not notice it but SA has spoilt us.

T.

In message <IqGUe.5840$zw1.1400@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>
"G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote:

> It never occurred to me when playing, but now that I've seen the realism of
> SA, VC seems a bit too much like a game!

If you can forget that VC was based on some very popular (Read:
notorious) films it really does seem cartoony. I doubt very many, if at
all, six years olds have seen Scarface anyway :eek:)

> When I can crowbar him away from my PC, I'm going to do a "peaceful circle"
> of both, perhaps in a Maverick - get my own index of how much bigger SA is
> compared to VC. I'm guessing that the whole of VC is only marginally smaller
> than LS - which (if you ignore the inland waterways and relatively sparse
> "countryside" in SA) makes SA only about three times the size of VC.

I'd estimate that Liberty City as a whole fills Los Santos about 1/2 to
1/3 and VC obviously is a little bigger. At a really rough guess I'd say
that SA really is six times the size of VC as promised in the previews.

Shortly after SA's releaseI did fly a Dodo all the way round Liberty
City to gauge what kind of size our GTA world had grown to. I'll see if
I've still got the results on my system somewhere.

Cheers,
Rob
"It's probably a tradition, or an old charter or something"

> So I started up VC for him! He's having a whale of a time - but as I'm
> watching over his shoulder (I wouldn't let him play unsupervised) it's
> surprising how "cartoony" VC seems. It never occurred to me when playing,
> but now that I've seen the realism of SA, VC seems a bit too much like a
> game!

I actually *like* the cartoonlike atmosphere! In fact, I couldn't care
less if all the violence, bloodgore and whatnot was replaced by toonlike
humourous animations. It would only increase the fun while gameplay
remains the same.

I like the happy bright Miami Vice colours. The 80s soundtrack. And the
characters. CJ's character I don't like as much. I can't relate to the
gangsta stuff, and he's too much of a pushover.

VC wins it hands down for me if atmosphere is concerned.

I seriously hope Rockstar will make a GTA 'toon' version. Or, perhaps,
another company can Do It Right.

Bram

G Hardy wrote:
> When I can crowbar him away from my PC, I'm going to do a "peaceful
> circle" of both, perhaps in a Maverick - get my own index of how much
> bigger SA is compared to VC. I'm guessing that the whole of VC is
> only marginally smaller than LS - which (if you ignore the inland
> waterways and relatively sparse "countryside" in SA) makes SA only
> about three times the size of VC.

I think the official figure is that SA is 5 times the size of VC.

--
Carl Waring
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

"Bram" <dont@mailme.invalid> wrote in message

> VC wins it hands down for me if atmosphere is concerned.

Me too. I'd love to see VC remapped to the SA engine - weather effects,
flying jets, swimming etc.

"Rob White" <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

> I'd estimate that Liberty City as a whole fills Los Santos about 1/2 to
> 1/3 and VC obviously is a little bigger. At a really rough guess I'd say
> that SA really is six times the size of VC as promised in the previews.
>
> Shortly after SA's releaseI did fly a Dodo all the way round Liberty
> City to gauge what kind of size our GTA world had grown to. I'll see if
> I've still got the results on my system somewhere.

Here are my results, from a January post (resurrected from Google):

===================================

Newsgroups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto
From: "cleve" <clev...@cox.net> - Find messages by this author
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:53:01 -0800
Subject: The size of SA

I did a little size comparison between SA and VC.

I assumed that the Packer is about the same size relative to CJ/Tommy in
both and measured some features (like distance between streets, or length of
a parking lot) in both games and correlated that with the maps. If we
assume a Packer is about 30 feet long and put bounding rectangles around the
land parts of each world, SA is about 2.27 miles by 2.27 miles, and VC is
about 1.11 miles wide and 1.49 miles tall. The area ratio is about 3 to
1 -- just like Rockstar claimed.

Why did I check? I've been exploring SA, starting in LS, "block" by
"block", examining everything in detail. In VC, that took me 4 or 5 long
evenings. I've put in several times that on SA already -- and I'm only a
little over half done with the city and suburban part of LS! I was
beginning to think that Rockstar meant the linear dimensions are 3 time
those in VC (making the area NINE times). Apparently not.

So what gives? Well, for one thing, the Jetpack makes the Z-dimension much
more explorable in SA (although I did use a copter in VC to check the sides
of buildings and the tops of the low ones). But I think it's more than
that. Another thing is that VC has more "interior water" and thus less land
inside its bounding rectangle. I haven't tried to calculate it, but SA
appears to have MUCH more than 3 time the LAND area. Even that's not enough
to explain why it's taking so much longer to explore. I think that the
"density of detail" is simply much greater in SA. More tracts of little
houses. More nooks and crannies.

Oh. By the way. The "distance traveled" in the stats is not that helpful.
(That's why I measured things with Packers.) I measured the length of a
small parking lot using the "distance traveled on foot" stats. Here's what
I got:

Walking slowly: 73 feet.

Jogging: 93 feet

Running: 107 feet

So, pretty useless. I don't know what they're doing, but they're not simply
using coordinates.

--cleve

begin 666 watched_n.gif
M1TE&.#EA$@`2`+,/`/[^_Z*B\]#0^7Q\[G1T[;JZ]NCH_)65\?/S_8R,\*FI
M]-K:^JJJ],7%]Y"0\0```"'Y! $```\`+ `````2`!(```1P\,E)JZ5BC';O
M$8O3600`$"-5'&92=$&@,(-@+H2BQ-,N_ O3K?$[!"0;H5)I" PFA(1A"4 8
M&II*@!!D,@A'"X.E1"04G4_5@&BO.B6$P&BHBRR%`*!!&"02( HO%30*8!(%
/`PP)816)%BXIDI,7$0`[
`
end

begin 666 dot_clear.gif
`
end

Yikes.

A couple of weird gifs got caught in my clipboard copy/paste and ended up as
attachments somehow. Sorry 'bout that. At least they're tiny.

--cleve