What causes "Out of Range"

Booted up my PC and as soon as I enter my password for xp to complete the
boot sequence it gives me the out of range message and shuts down in 15
seconds. 64MB VIVO card. Updated to the newest cat when it was released and
it has been flawless until this afternoon. Any suggestions?

peter

the frequency setting of your monitor is too high
enter XP in safe mode and adjust
peter
"BK24" <biggkidd24@charter.net> wrote in message
> Booted up my PC and as soon as I enter my password for xp to complete the
> boot sequence it gives me the out of range message and shuts down in 15
> seconds. 64MB VIVO card. Updated to the newest cat when it was released and
> it has been flawless until this afternoon. Any suggestions?

I'm only running at 70 for the refresh rate. This has always worked, why
would it stop now?

BK24 left a note on my windscreen which said:

> I'm only running at 70 for the refresh rate. This has always worked, why
> would it stop now?

It could also be that the resolution is set too high for that monitor.

Basically 'Out of Range' means that your graphics card is outputting
something the monitor cannot display.

Restart windows and press F8 after the BIOS POST and before you get the
select 'Safe Mode' from which will boot your PC with known safe settings
and minimal drivers.

Providing this loads OK go into your video settings and set it to
something easy to display - 800x600 @ 60Hz refresh should do the trick.
Restart the system and it should boot back into Windows just fine and
you can up the resolution and refresh to your desired settings.

Just remember that if you select a setting which the monitor cannot
display Windows will automatically revert back the to previous settings
if you haven't clicked the OK box in 15 seconds.

--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> BK24 left a note on my windscreen which said:
>
> > I'm only running at 70 for the refresh rate. This has always worked, why
> > would it stop now?
>
> It could also be that the resolution is set too high for that monitor.
>
> Basically 'Out of Range' means that your graphics card is outputting
> something the monitor cannot display.
>
> Restart windows and press F8 after the BIOS POST and before you get the
> select 'Safe Mode' from which will boot your PC with known safe settings
> and minimal drivers.
>
> Providing this loads OK go into your video settings and set it to
> something easy to display - 800x600 @ 60Hz refresh should do the trick.
> Restart the system and it should boot back into Windows just fine and
> you can up the resolution and refresh to your desired settings.
>
> Just remember that if you select a setting which the monitor cannot
> display Windows will automatically revert back the to previous settings
> if you haven't clicked the OK box in 15 seconds.
>

> --
> Stoneskin
>
> [Insert sig text here]
Heyya Stoneskin, you following me around or what?? I'll give it a whirl
this weekend. He's buggin me to death though since he cant play BFV with the
Voodoo3.

BK24 wrote:

> I'm only running at 70 for the refresh rate. This has always worked,
> why would it stop now?

Perhaps you have:

1. Overclocked the life out of the graphics card;
2. Fubarred your monitor;
3. Changed AA settings that have thrown your card out of sync;
4. Have a glitch in your operating system; or
5. Your god doesn't like you.

regards

@ndrew

"@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
> BK24 wrote:
>
> > I'm only running at 70 for the refresh rate. This has always worked,
> > why would it stop now?
>

> Perhaps you have:
>
> 1. Overclocked the life out of the graphics card;
> 2. Fubarred your monitor;
> 3. Changed AA settings that have thrown your card out of sync;
> 4. Have a glitch in your operating system; or
> 5. Your god doesn't like you.
>
> regards
>
> @ndrew

Perhaps 5 is a factor but the rest arent. Its the card in my sons system,
never overclocked, never altered. Monitor is fine as it is now running with
my old VooDoo3 without a hitch.

"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> BK24 left a note on my windscreen which said:
>
> > I'm only running at 70 for the refresh rate. This has always worked, why
> > would it stop now?
>
> It could also be that the resolution is set too high for that monitor.
>
> Basically 'Out of Range' means that your graphics card is outputting
> something the monitor cannot display.
>
> Restart windows and press F8 after the BIOS POST and before you get the
> select 'Safe Mode' from which will boot your PC with known safe settings
> and minimal drivers.
>
> Providing this loads OK go into your video settings and set it to
> something easy to display - 800x600 @ 60Hz refresh should do the trick.
> Restart the system and it should boot back into Windows just fine and
> you can up the resolution and refresh to your desired settings.
>
> Just remember that if you select a setting which the monitor cannot
> display Windows will automatically revert back the to previous settings
> if you haven't clicked the OK box in 15 seconds.
>

> --
> Stoneskin
>
> [Insert sig text here]

Took a little more work than how you suggested but it did resolve the
matter. THANKS!!

BK24 left a note on my windscreen which said:

> Took a little more work than how you suggested but it did resolve the
> matter. THANKS!!

Nice. I'll just type up your invoice right away. ;)
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]