wireless laptop

Marty

please help
i have a netgear wireless router which also has 4 access points for ethernet cable, connected to this i have 1desktop pc which connects to the internet through the router, this is running fine. however i recently purchased an acer laptop which is also running xp at the same time i brought a netgear wireless usb adaptor i attempted to set up a home network however the wireless part of my network i.e the laptop is having difficulties in that it does not recongise the router and will not allow me access to my internet connection. The icon on the bottom right of the screen tells me that i am connected to netgear and my signal strength is excellent
help would be much appreciated
thanks
marty

Marty,

You have confirmation of three important facts: (1) you have a working network with (2) a live internet connection and (3) working laptop hardware (the wireless adapter) which is in touch with your router.

The remaining thing to do is to make your laptop known to your network. For this, use New Network Connections wizard, reached by pressing Start>Settings>Network Connections. The Network Connections window shows all your connections and lists two wizards; double click the Network Setup Wizard.

At the Welcome to the Network Setup Wizard window enjoy the welcome and press Next.
When you see the Before you continue window press Next.

On the The wizard found disconnected network hardware window, if you see it (as you might since you probably have an unused Ethernet connection built into your laptop), click ignore disconnected network hardware and press Next.

On the Select a connection method window, check This computer connects to the internet through another computer on my network or through a residential gateway which describes your setup with the modem connected to your router/gateway. Press Next to see the Your computer has multiple connections window.

You should see Determine the appropriate connections for me choice already selected. If not, select it, and press Next.

On the Give this computer a description and a name window (if not already filled in) enter a Computer description such as “Dell laptop� and a Computer name such as “Laptop�. (Names that you have previously assigned may already show in these spaces. Leave them be or change them as you choose.) Press Next.

On the Name your network window you will see a default Workgroup name “MSHOME�. In this space enter the name you have already given your network. (If you cannot remember the name, double click My Network Places on your desktop, then double click Entire Network, then Microsoft Windows network to see the name(s) of your network(s). (Probably, there is only one.) Enter the appropriate network name in Workgroup Name and press Next.

The Ready to apply network settings window appears to show the many settings you have just chosen. If everything looks OK, press Next.

The Please Wait window with its animation helps you wait for the computer to digest your choices. Presently, the You’re almost done window appears. Here, click Just finish the wizard, I don’t need to run the wizard on other computers. Here you may click Next and in the following window click Finish.