Login screen blanks out

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 3, 2004 2:31:03 AM

Upgraded from a Sapphire Radeon 9100 128 Mb using Catalyst 3.7's to an ATI
Radeon 8500 128Mb. System is an XP3200 on Soltek NForce2 running XP
Pro.Uninstalled the drivers and card before shutting off and onstalling new
card. On first bootup, system works fine, goes to login screen, Windows
starts, detects the 8500 and installs it's MS Radeon driver. I install the
Catalyst 3.7's, restart and everything works OK until the login screen
should appear. I just get a blank screen. Boot to last know good config,
login again, retry, same thing. Any ideas?

More about : login screen blanks

Anonymous
April 6, 2004 7:39:39 PM

Augustus left a note on my windscreen which said:

> Upgraded from a Sapphire Radeon 9100 128 Mb using Catalyst 3.7's to an ATI
> Radeon 8500 128Mb. System is an XP3200 on Soltek NForce2 running XP
> Pro.Uninstalled the drivers and card before shutting off and onstalling new
> card. On first bootup, system works fine, goes to login screen, Windows
> starts, detects the 8500 and installs it's MS Radeon driver. I install the
> Catalyst 3.7's, restart and everything works OK until the login screen
> should appear. I just get a blank screen. Boot to last know good config,
> login again, retry, same thing. Any ideas?

The resolution or refresh rate the card is trying to output is beyond
the range your monitor supports perhaps.

Try it again but instead of rebooting to Last Known Good boot into safe
mode and check the card is set to 800x600 @ 60Hz for maximum
compatibility. Reboot and try it again.
--
Stoneskin