XBOX 2 ~ PS3 game(?) "Dark Sector" trailer

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

a question mark goes after game, because who knows if its legit.

from IGN

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/503/503867p1.html
April 02, 2004 - Digital Extremes, the Canadian developer that's
worked hand-in-hand with the Epic Games to create versions of Unreal
and Unreal Championship on various systems, announced today the
development of a new and original game designed specifically for
PlayStation 3 and Xbox 2. It's called Dark Sector.

The trailer, we're told, is not CG, nor is it pre-rendered in any way.
According to Digital Extremes, the footage shown here is entirely
in-game engine. The new engine is built using potential specs from
both future consoles, which are unofficially due sometime in late 2005
or early 2006.

Very little has been revealed about Dark Sector, which is deliberate
on Digital Extremes' part. This trailer is meant as a tech demo
entirely designed to impress tech heads, gamers, and potential
publishers. We do know it's a first-person shooter based in a
futuristic, sci-fi setting, and there are guns, lots and lots of guns.

IGN videos:
http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/674/674095/vids_1.html

videos from original source:
http://www.darksector.com/

IMHO, the footage of this supposed game is not very impressive. It is
certainly not running on Playstation 3, nor Xbox 2. It's running on a
PC with some highend graphics card. probably Nvidia's or ATI's current
high-end offerings. or at most, on one of the upcoming cards using
NV40 or R420.

The next generation consoles (PS3, Xbox2, GC2) will be significantly
beyond any graphics hardware that is usable by developers today, and
therefore, this nice looking yet somewhat unimpressive video.

dd

How could you create an "in-game engine" for a machine's "potential specs"?

Wouldn't you need at least a prototype to actually create the footage?

DD

"R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> a question mark goes after game, because who knows if its legit.
>

> from IGN
>
> http://ps2.ign.com/articles/503/503867p1.html

__
> April 02, 2004 - Digital Extremes, the Canadian developer that's
> worked hand-in-hand with the Epic Games to create versions of Unreal
> and Unreal Championship on various systems, announced today the
> development of a new and original game designed specifically for
> PlayStation 3 and Xbox 2. It's called Dark Sector.
>

> The trailer, we're told, is not CG, nor is it pre-rendered in any way.
> According to Digital Extremes, the footage shown here is entirely
> in-game engine. The new engine is built using potential specs from
> both future consoles, which are unofficially due sometime in late 2005
> or early 2006.
>
> Very little has been revealed about Dark Sector, which is deliberate
> on Digital Extremes' part. This trailer is meant as a tech demo
> entirely designed to impress tech heads, gamers, and potential
> publishers. We do know it's a first-person shooter based in a
> futuristic, sci-fi setting, and there are guns, lots and lots of guns.

___

> IGN videos:
> http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/674/674095/vids_1.html
>
> videos from original source:
> http://www.darksector.com/
>

> IMHO, the footage of this supposed game is not very impressive. It is
> certainly not running on Playstation 3, nor Xbox 2. It's running on a
> PC with some highend graphics card. probably Nvidia's or ATI's current
> high-end offerings. or at most, on one of the upcoming cards using
> NV40 or R420.
>
> The next generation consoles (PS3, Xbox2, GC2) will be significantly
> beyond any graphics hardware that is usable by developers today, and
> therefore, this nice looking yet somewhat unimpressive video.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Yeah, XBox is already currently able to do those graphics (actually,
Splinter Cell 2 is looking better even now!).

I guess it's good news to PS2 people then, only about 3 years more, and you
will be able to enjoy what XBox owners have now! :)