Uninstalling capture driver

kev

Going to upgrade my AIW VE to CAT4.3 from 3.9 but I noticed that the
capture drivers are not in xp's add/remove programs. So what is the best
way to remove it?

Btw, is it safe to assume that uninstalling the files in the reverse
order that i installed them the right thing to do?

Original order:

1. capture
2. graphics
3. control
4. dao/mdac
5. dvd
6. mmc

"Kev" <insomniakev@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Going to upgrade my AIW VE to CAT4.3 from 3.9 but I noticed that the
> capture drivers are not in xp's add/remove programs. So what is the best
> way to remove it?
>
> Btw, is it safe to assume that uninstalling the files in the reverse
> order that i installed them the right thing to do?
>
> Original order:
>
> 1. capture
> 2. graphics
> 3. control
> 4. dao/mdac
> 5. dvd
> 6. mmc

Yes, reversing that order would be the right way to uninstall, Kev, except
that the capture drivers need to be removed before the display drivers.
Although most people don't bother uninstalling the capture drivers, I always
think it's a good idea, especially when going to an older rather than a
newer driver set. Rather than the capture devices being replaced, they
sometimes get duplicated, which can have adverse effects.

I usually uninstall everything else (in W98SE, but AFAIK this should also
work for XP) then, before uninstalling the display driver, open Device
Manager and Remove all the ATI devices in Sound, video and game controllers
(including the Specialized MVD WDM VBI Codec). Then uninstall the display
driver and reboot.

Incidentally, if you install the unified driver sets now (capture, display
and Control Panel all in one file), you'll also have the ATI - Software
Uninstall Utility showing in Add/Remove Programs. Don't use this when
uninstalling the other stuff, but Add/Remove it after you've rebooted when
you've uninstalled everything else. It'll very effectively clean the stuff
the uninstall doesn't remove from your system.

If you don't use the unified driver sets, but use the separate files for
capture and display drivers, and Control Panel, you won't have the ATI -
Software Uninstall Utility in Add/Remove Programs. Instead, you can
download and use cat-uninstaller.exe from
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html. It's the same
thing, but you just run it by itself rather than from Add/Remove Programs.

HTH patrickp