Upgrade from my Radeon 9500

Hi!

I want to upgrade my 9500 to a faster Radeon-card. I will pay up to 200
Euro, so which card is the one I should get in terms of "most bang for
your buck"? From my researches it seems that three cards may be an
option here:

9600XT:
+ most current GPU
+ overclocking friendly
+ cheapest of the three cards
- it seems that it is not that much faster than the 9500
- only 4 pixel pipelines and 128Bit mem interface

9800 Pro:
+ solid in every category
+ 8 pixel pipelines and 256Bit mem interface
+ highest mem speed
- most expensive among the three cards
- most cards are a bit over 200 Euro so the choices are few

9700 Pro:
+ was by far the fastest card when it came out
+ seems to get a hold of most the 9800s except for the 9800XT
+ 8 pixel pipelines and 256Bit mem interface
- for an "old" card it's not that cheap

Which one would you prefer and why?

TIA.

Thomas

Well - which version of the 9500 do you have, pro, or non-pro? How much
memory? Currently i'm running a 9500 non-pro 64mb with the extra pipelines
enabled via softmod, and it handles every game i throw at it with ease.

"Thomas Engler" <thomas.engler@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I want to upgrade my 9500 to a faster Radeon-card. I will pay up to 200
> Euro, so which card is the one I should get in terms of "most bang for
> your buck"? From my researches it seems that three cards may be an
> option here:
>
> 9600XT:
> + most current GPU
> + overclocking friendly
> + cheapest of the three cards
> - it seems that it is not that much faster than the 9500
> - only 4 pixel pipelines and 128Bit mem interface
>
> 9800 Pro:
> + solid in every category
> + 8 pixel pipelines and 256Bit mem interface
> + highest mem speed
> - most expensive among the three cards
> - most cards are a bit over 200 Euro so the choices are few
>
> 9700 Pro:
> + was by far the fastest card when it came out
> + seems to get a hold of most the 9800s except for the 9800XT
> + 8 pixel pipelines and 256Bit mem interface
> - for an "old" card it's not that cheap
>
> Which one would you prefer and why?
>
> TIA.
>
> Thomas

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 20:25:49 +0200, "Kai Robinson"
<kai.robinsonSPAM@tiscali.fr> wrote:

>Well - which version of the 9500 do you have, pro, or non-pro? How much
>memory? Currently i'm running a 9500 non-pro 64mb with the extra pipelines
>enabled via softmod, and it handles every game i throw at it with ease.

9500np's came in 64/128 usually red PCB and always ' L ' shaped memory
if you have this type of card follow kai's advice and use the '
Omega's ' to pre-select the xtra pipe's.

BoroLad

>"Thomas Engler" <thomas.engler@gmx.de> wrote in message
>> Hi!

>> I want to upgrade my 9500 to a faster Radeon-card. I will pay up to 200
>> Euro, so which card is the one I should get in terms of "most bang for
>> your buck"? From my researches it seems that three cards may be an
>> option here:

>> 9600XT:
>> + most current GPU
>> + overclocking friendly
>> + cheapest of the three cards
>> - it seems that it is not that much faster than the 9500
>> - only 4 pixel pipelines and 128Bit mem interface

>> 9800 Pro:
>> + solid in every category
>> + 8 pixel pipelines and 256Bit mem interface
>> + highest mem speed
>> - most expensive among the three cards
>> - most cards are a bit over 200 Euro so the choices are few

>> 9700 Pro:
>> + was by far the fastest card when it came out
>> + seems to get a hold of most the 9800s except for the 9800XT
>> + 8 pixel pipelines and 256Bit mem interface
>> - for an "old" card it's not that cheap

>> Which one would you prefer and why?

>> TIA.

>> Thomas

You dont have to have the Omega's - just the regular cracked Cat 4.3's work
fine for me, i had some trouble with the omega's and custom settings in
games via shortcuts.

<borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 20:25:49 +0200, "Kai Robinson"
> <kai.robinsonSPAM@tiscali.fr> wrote:
>
> >Well - which version of the 9500 do you have, pro, or non-pro? How much
> >memory? Currently i'm running a 9500 non-pro 64mb with the extra
pipelines
> >enabled via softmod, and it handles every game i throw at it with ease.
>
> 9500np's came in 64/128 usually red PCB and always ' L ' shaped memory
> if you have this type of card follow kai's advice and use the '
> Omega's ' to pre-select the xtra pipe's.
>
> BoroLad
>
> >"Thomas Engler" <thomas.engler@gmx.de> wrote in message
> >> Hi!
>
> >> I want to upgrade my 9500 to a faster Radeon-card. I will pay up to 200
> >> Euro, so which card is the one I should get in terms of "most bang for
> >> your buck"? From my researches it seems that three cards may be an
> >> option here:
>
> >> 9600XT:
> >> + most current GPU
> >> + overclocking friendly
> >> + cheapest of the three cards
> >> - it seems that it is not that much faster than the 9500
> >> - only 4 pixel pipelines and 128Bit mem interface
>
> >> 9800 Pro:
> >> + solid in every category
> >> + 8 pixel pipelines and 256Bit mem interface
> >> + highest mem speed
> >> - most expensive among the three cards
> >> - most cards are a bit over 200 Euro so the choices are few
>
> >> 9700 Pro:
> >> + was by far the fastest card when it came out
> >> + seems to get a hold of most the 9800s except for the 9800XT
> >> + 8 pixel pipelines and 256Bit mem interface
> >> - for an "old" card it's not that cheap
>
> >> Which one would you prefer and why?
>
> >> TIA.
>
> >> Thomas

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 20:45:18 +0200, "Kai Robinson"
<kai.robinsonSPAM@tiscali.fr> wrote:

>You dont have to have the Omega's - just the regular cracked Cat 4.3's work
>fine for me, i had some trouble with the omega's and custom settings in
>games via shortcuts.

Fair comment kai, several different ways to get there. You were right
to get the O/P to check his old 9500, I've come across people who
never knew they were sitting on [ 9500np ] old gold.

BoroLad
><borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 20:25:49 +0200, "Kai Robinson"
>> <kai.robinsonSPAM@tiscali.fr> wrote:
>>
>> >Well - which version of the 9500 do you have, pro, or non-pro? How much
>> >memory? Currently i'm running a 9500 non-pro 64mb with the extra
>pipelines
>> >enabled via softmod, and it handles every game i throw at it with ease.
>>
>> 9500np's came in 64/128 usually red PCB and always ' L ' shaped memory
>> if you have this type of card follow kai's advice and use the '
>> Omega's ' to pre-select the xtra pipe's.
>>
>> BoroLad
>>
>> >"Thomas Engler" <thomas.engler@gmx.de> wrote in message

Yeah pity mine wont do the 256 bit memory interface - i could only afford
the 64mb version, the 128 L shapes went for more than 9700's

> On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 20:45:18 +0200, "Kai Robinson"
> <kai.robinsonSPAM@tiscali.fr> wrote:
>
> >You dont have to have the Omega's - just the regular cracked Cat 4.3's
work
> >fine for me, i had some trouble with the omega's and custom settings in
> >games via shortcuts.
>
> Fair comment kai, several different ways to get there. You were right
> to get the O/P to check his old 9500, I've come across people who
> never knew they were sitting on [ 9500np ] old gold.
>
> BoroLad
> ><borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message

> >pipelines
> >>
> >> 9500np's came in 64/128 usually red PCB and always ' L ' shaped memory
> >> if you have this type of card follow kai's advice and use the '
> >> Omega's ' to pre-select the xtra pipe's.
> >>
> >> BoroLad

Thomas Engler <thomas.engler@gmx.de> wrote in message news:<bd3t60dhn45a274a7jegknnu9b3sviclpb@4ax.com>...
> Hi!
>
> I want to upgrade my 9500 to a faster Radeon-card. I will pay up to 200
> Euro, so which card is the one I should get in terms of "most bang for
> your buck"? From my researches it seems that three cards may be an
> option here:
>
> 9600XT:
> + most current GPU
> + overclocking friendly
> + cheapest of the three cards
> - it seems that it is not that much faster than the 9500
> - only 4 pixel pipelines and 128Bit mem interface
>
> 9800 Pro:
> + solid in every category
> + 8 pixel pipelines and 256Bit mem interface
> + highest mem speed
> - most expensive among the three cards
> - most cards are a bit over 200 Euro so the choices are few
>
> 9700 Pro:
> + was by far the fastest card when it came out
> + seems to get a hold of most the 9800s except for the 9800XT
> + 8 pixel pipelines and 256Bit mem interface
> - for an "old" card it's not that cheap
>
> Which one would you prefer and why?
>
> TIA.
>
> Thomas

9800 Pro, sure it asks quite the budget..but it's considerable cheap
for an Ex-King. The 9800 Pro will surely purr in your system for the
coming time..and cheaper then that they are now they won't come!